2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 2:15 PM by eferz RSS

SlingCather UK for use in the US

hbsbla

I missed the boat on getting a SlingCather in the US while it was on the market. I see that it's still for sale in the UK and I'm considering purchasing one for use exclusively in the US, but I still have a few questions after reading the forums before I pull the trigger.

Will the UK version work in the US like the US version?

Do I need to, or can I buy a new US compatible power supply? If so, what will I need to get?

Will it automatically download the latest software so I don't have the HD problems that have been reported early on?

Can I use it at a location such as work or a hotel and access multiple SlingBoxes from multiple locations?

Does this work like the SlingPlayer on my computer (i.e. enter the account info and password and it finds your SlingBoxes)?

Are there, or will there be any other set-top boxes that can access your SlingBoxes?

Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: SlingCather UK for use in the US
          alanrichey42 Master

Yes, they are identical

Probably not, just a plug adaptor.  Most power units are multi-voltage

Yes, 1.0.064 is the latest, and probably last.

Yes

Yes

Unlikely to be a standalone box, but Echostar are building it into their receivers and I would expect that to continue.

The only slight caveat is that it supports both UK and US video standards so you might struggle to get the right setting initially.  Plenty of help here though as many of us have done this.

• Re: SlingCather UK for use in the US
            eferz Expert

hbsbla wrote:

Can I use it at a location such as work or a hotel and access multiple SlingBoxes from multiple locations?

There's a small caveat which wasn't explained.  Not all places have free open access.  Some places require you open a web browser to accept term of services for their wireless access.  In these situations, network access is then granted to the MAC address of the device accepting these terms. Since  SlingCatcher doesn't have its own web browser, you'll need to tether its connection.  Depending on how elaborate network security is, a cheap router will help in these situations since it can act as a proxy.  You can accept the terms on a laptop, the access will be granted to your router, and any device connected to the router will have access.