4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2010 7:36 AM by cbecks RSS

Want to make sure I can do this

cbecks

Can I set up a Slingbox Solo this way?  Connect an SD DV camera to the unit.  Plug in to my work's ethernet.  Then be able to watch the content from any computer (whether it be at work or home)?  Any concerns with local firewalls?

• Re: Want to make sure I can do this
          eferz Expert

cbecks wrote:

Can I set up a Slingbox Solo this way?  Connect an SD DV camera to the unit.  Plug in to my work's ethernet.  Then be able to watch the content from any computer (whether it be at work or home)?  Any concerns with local firewalls?

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  If you're trying to set up a makeshift video conferencing or a personalized security camera.  However, there are probably better ways of accomplishing it.

You can definately use the Slingbox Solo in the manner that you've described.  Though based on the network configuration of your employer, you might be able limited to Slingbox on the local subnet or company's intranet.  For external access, you might be able to VPN into your company network without having IT host the Slingbox on the company's IP public address.  Otherwise, you'll need to get someone to host the  Slingbox service beyond the company's firewall.

cbecks

Basically, I want to plug a video camera into the Solo in one event hall that is full of people and send the audio and video into an overflow room.  I work at a college and the two rooms are separated by 500 yards.

eferz Expert

cbecks wrote:

Basically, I want to plug a video camera into the Solo in one event hall that is full of people and send the audio and video into an overflow room.  I work at a college and the two rooms are separated by 500 yards.

Ah, okay.  The Slinbox Solo can definately do that in conjunction to a laptop with a projector or other large screen device.  Though I'm a bit surprised that your college doesn't have its own audio and video distribution system.

If you're still interested in (re)broadcasting it over the internet then perhaps you should get a Monsoon Media product instead.  It will allow you to broadcast to five seperate clients on the same subnet.  You could have one setup for the overflow viewing screen.  On another computer, you can use a third-party virtual web cam software like mReplay Broadcast or Webcam Max to rebroadcast the video from the Hava Player onto any video sharing service that supports webcams like Skype,  MSN Messenger, Justin.tv, or Ustream.tv.