1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 3:41 PM by eferz RSS

h.264 setup.  "How to" tutorial please ------ pretty please

dtommyd Newbie

I have the SlingBox Solo and by all accounts it streams h.264. How?  The one thread I did see mentioned that

I'd want to change the "ini" file to force it. If you don't mind I'd like to do a point by point of the questions I have.

1.  If that is the case how can I open the ini and how do I alter it?  Isn't there a better way to do this?

2.  Why isn't there a button or a choice in the setup?

3.  Since h.264 is better why are we using the windows codec stream in the first place?

4.  If I do change the ini file for Slingbox desktop, isn't that just changing the stream for only that computer?  Can't the firmware

on the Slingbox Solo be changed?

5.  I have a Macbook, Windows PCs, iPhones and a iPad.  Would this screw up the iPhones/ iPad?

6.  I've streamed h.264 with the iPhones / ipad (Hauppauge's Extend) and it looks great.  Why can't I stream SB to them?

Couldn't I stream them directly to the iphones/ipad?  I realize Sling may not want that as you wouldn't buy their app

but hey- I've already paid and I've gotten friends to get it too.  I wouldn't even care if I had to change the channel with the iphone app

then closed it and reconnect to the h.264 until this is addressed. 

A step by step tutorial would be the best but I'll take what I can get.  I've searched alot and feel like I'm getting dumber.

You don't have to answer all of them.  If you have and idea or an answer for 1 no problem.  My list isn't meant to be daunting.

I also just checked my Slingbox for more info:

SlingBox Solo with Slingbox Software Version: 1.3.70

More dumb questions to follow as i think of them.  Thanks...

• Re: h.264 setup.  "How to" tutorial please ------ pretty please
          eferz Expert

dtommyd wrote:

I have the SlingBox Solo and by all accounts it streams h.264. How?

The TI Davinci chip inside the Slingbox server facilitates the baseband singals provided by the audio and video inputs to be transcoded into a multimedia stream presented by the Slingplayer client.

1.  If that is the case how can I open the ini and how do I alter it?

The Slingplayer Desktop settings are saved in "SBCore.ini" file while the options for these settings are described in the "SBCore.sdb" file.  Both files are simple text files.  The locations of these files will vary upon your operating system.

1a. Isn't there a better way to do this?

2.  Why isn't there a button or a choice in the setup?

No.  Sling Media believes their programming methodology choses the best  encoding parameteres based on the statistics observed by the  Slingplayer.  You can see the statistics that it uses for the algorithim  which dynamically choses the parameters by pressing [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] while connected to the Slingbox.

3.  Since h.264 is better why are we using the windows codec stream in the first place?

Actually, that's not true in every situation.  Under windows, resolutions lower than 640x480 are more optimized with WMV than H.264.  Also, the Slingbox Classic was originally designed for WMV/WMA encoding.  According to my research it wasn't actually a technological but more of a liscensing issue.

4.  If I do change the ini file for Slingbox desktop, isn't that just changing the stream for only that computer?

Correct.  More specifically, it only affects the specific Slingplayer client.  I actually have many version of Slingplayer client installed on my computer for testing purposes.  They all keep their own settings seperate from one another.

4a.  Can't the firmware on the Slingbox Solo be changed?

Sure, but I doubt it is in Sling Media's interest to remove WMV encoding.

5.  I have a Macbook, Windows PCs, iPhones and a iPad.  Would this screw up the iPhones/ iPad?

No.  (?)

6.  I've streamed h.264 with the iPhones / ipad (Hauppauge's Extend) and it looks great.  Why can't I stream SB to them?

You can stream to them using Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone.

6a. Couldn't I stream them directly to the iphones/ipad?

Sure, but you'll need to use Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone to view it, since the multimedia streams from the Slingbox are encrypted.