14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 3:46 PM by eferz RSS

Iphone 4, can't connect on 3G

joeg679 Newbie

I have the newest version of slingplayer on my iphone 4 and it will not connect to 3G.  I am at my home and can connect with wifi, but when I turn wifi off, it says that it cannot connect.  I have used this app on 3g with my older iphone, but then it stopped working suddenly on 3g and I never gave it a second thought, but now I want to use it on 3g and can't.  Any suggestions?

• Re: Iphone 4, can't connect on 3G
          eferz Expert

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
          Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
          Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
          Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

joeg679 Newbie

I was able to figure out how to forward the TCP and UDP to Slingbox from the drop down menu, but I'm having a problem.  When I direct my ip address to allow sling box to work, I get this error message:  The Slingbox service's ports conflict with an existing port forwarding rule offering Sling Box service.  How do I resolve this?

joeg679 Newbie

I went through everything that you sent and I cannot find a solution.  The ports are correct, the  ip address is correct.  I can connect using the slingplayer app on  my computer, just not my phone.

joeg679 Newbie

I read that whole thing and I changed my port to 443 through setup assistant, but it doesn't work.  I have a few questions, but let me first say that I really appreciate your help.  1) Is the only place that I need to change the port, through setup assistant or is there somewhere on my conputer or in the router settings that I need to change it too?  2)  Is 443 a universal port or are there specific ports for different routers and ISP's?

eferz Expert

joeg679 wrote:

I read that whole thing and I changed my port to 443 through setup assistant, but it doesn't work.  I have a few questions, but let me first say that I really appreciate your help. 

Thanks, always glad to help.

joeg679 wrote:

1) Is the only place that I need to change the port, through setup assistant or is there somewhere on my conputer or in the router settings that I need to change it too?

Yes, the router's port forwarding rules need to reflect the changes made to the Slingbox.

joeg679 wrote:

2)  Is 443 a universal port or are there specific ports for different routers and ISP's?

Port 443 is universally understood as the default port for HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure (https).

Think of your router's public "IP address" as "street address" of an apartment complex.  Also, think of the "port number" as their "mailbox" and "apartment" number.  By moving the Slingbox from 5001 into apartment "443", you'll also need to move their mail delivery to mailbox "443".

joeg679 Newbie

Ok, got it.  I changed to 443 in setup assistant.  I just went into the section where I type the ip address into my toolbar and go into my router settings and tried to change the port, but I got the same conflict setting.  Is that where I have to change the other port or is there somewhere else?

joeg679 Newbie

Ok, I just tried slingbox at my gym that has wifi where I was able to use it before and I got the same error message.  Does that narrow anything down?

joeg679 Newbie

Ok, I finally fixed it.  When I tried to change to my original ip address, I forgot to change back to 5001 as the port.  I just re-checked everything and I fixed everything and it worked.  I realized that when I updated the software, I had to revert back to the original ip address, which I found by going into the router settings.  Thanks again for your help, Eferz.