5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2010 4:20 PM by eferz RSS

On The Fly Transcoding of MPEG-2 Content from NAS to iPad?

Wampanoag

I am considering buying a Slingbox PRO-HD, but not for the usual reasons. I have a Windows Home Server that uses SageTV DVR software to record MPEG-2 Over The Air programs from my HD Homerun tuners. I would like to watch these programs from my iPad, which would required on the fly transcoding to MPEG4 / H.264. I would prefer support for "Trick Play" (fast forward / rewind). I have tried a variety of approaches, including TVersity, Air Video, HP Mediasmart's iStream, Twonky Media. All have issues. Hardware transcoding may be the most efficient, and would not put an extra load on my low-end WHS.

Can I have my Slingbox show my MPEG-2 programs on my NAS / WHS to my iPad, including on the fly transcoding?

• Re: On The Fly Transcoding of MPEG-2 Content from NAS to iPad?
          eferz Expert

The transcoded stream from the Slingbox is only useable from the Slingplayer client due to encryption.  You might consider looking at http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com or http://www.myvulkano.com for products that don't use enforce encryption.  I understand they're coming out with a box called the Vulkano that will do exactly what you want.

• Re: On The Fly Transcoding of MPEG-2 Content from NAS to iPad?
              Wampanoag

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the encryption hurdle. I am assuming that there is encryption from the server to the client - not that the files had to be encrypted using Slingbox's proprietary encryption in the first place. If this is the case, then I would be happy to use the Slingbox client software - especially when the updated version comes out for the iPad.

Or, do you mean that the Slingbox recorded files are encrypted and that the client only works with such encrypted files? Now, that would be a show stopper.

Thanks also for the Monsoon suggestion. I did, in fact, already contact Monsoon's customer support, explaining that "Main goal is to stream my MPEG-2 library on my WHS to my iPad.". Their email states that "You cannot use existing Windows Home Server HDD or NAS for storing/Streaming the contents with Vulkano." As for their HAVA products, I was told that "They won’t do either."

It is possible that I was not sufficiently clear in my email request to their support. They did tell me that they could not record OTA via my HD Homerun tuners - but I don't care about that. I can continue to use SageTV for recording and HD Homerun as my OTA tuners. I just want to stream what I have already recorded.

Have you seen links to the Monsoon literature that explicitly states that the Vulkano could stream from an external NAS? I wish that Popcorn Hour, or some other NMT, had an HTTP server for such things!