2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2010 11:47 PM by ndoren RSS

Android problem with using bluetooth in conjunction with WiFi on Droid

ndoren Newbie

To all...

There is a known problem when streaming video via WiFi and using a A2DP bluetooth connection at the same time.  This bug affects all streaming video apps, including SlingPlayer on the Motorola Droid.  After some amount of time (a few minutes up to 1/2 hour) your audio will stutter and video streaming will stop.  Your WiFi connection will have hung.  Restarting WiFi then the SlingPlayer will fix this problem for a few more minutes, then things freeze again.

This problem does not exist when using the SlingPlayer with 3G and bluetooth... just WiFi and bluetooth.  WiFi without bluetooth works just fine.  It's not a SlingPlayer issue.  I'm not sure if it'll be fixed in the upcoming FroYo (Android 2.2) update, but it's a problem through at least Android 2.1.

Granted, bluetooth and WiFi are both in the 2.4Ghz band, but on many other devices (excluding the Droid with Android 2.1) these things can coexist.  However, the Droid with Android 2.1 does not properly  handle streaming video via WiFi with a simultaneous bluetooth connection.  For those with advanced knowledge of routers... I have DD-WRT installed on my router and have tried the bluetooth compatability mode and bluetooth preemption mode settings on my router.  These do NOT fix the problem.  Let's hope things are better with the new FroYo Android release.  Neall