4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2011 4:05 PM by cchiodo RSS

No Video on Slingbox Solo

kevlar51

Hello, I've had my Slingbox Solo for over 2 years now, with no hitches. I use Verizon Fios; the set-top box is connected to the receiver via HDMI, and the Slingbox is connected to the set-top box via component cables. Again, this set up has never caused me problems.

Yesterday, the slingbox gave me a weak or no signal 1080p warning and no video would show up. I tried unplugging the HDMI from the set-top box with no result, and I tried switching over to composite video for the Slingbox with no result. I then moved the Slingbox to a different TV with similar results. Then I tried component passthrough from the set-top box to the slingbox to the tv with no result. Just to make sure it wasn't bad cables, I tested each independently from the set-top box to the TV and each worked fine.

The only wrinkle I can see in this is that I got an e-mail from Verizon yesterday that said my router's password was not secure enough, so they were changing the pw to my router's s/n via update. I don't think this is the culprit though, since a) all other networked electronics still work fine, and b) my slingplayer still picks up the box and still plays audio.

At this point, I can only conclude that the hardware's video has failed, but I wanted to see if there are any other options that I'm overlooking.

Thanks for your help.

• Re: No Video on Slingbox Solo
          eferz Expert

kevlar51 wrote:

Yesterday, the slingbox gave me a weak or no signal 1080p warning and no video would show up. I tried unplugging the HDMI from the set-top box with no result, and I tried switching over to composite video for the Slingbox with no result. I then moved the Slingbox to a different TV with similar results. Then I tried component passthrough from the set-top box to the slingbox to the tv with no result. Just to make sure it wasn't bad cables, I tested each independently from the set-top box to the TV and each worked fine.

This really odd since there is no graphics engine in the Slingbox.  There's only a digital to analog conversion chip which transcodes the baseband signals (from the Composite, Component, S-Video, and Audio connectors) into a multimedia format.  Also, the output connectors of the Slingbox are simple pass-through cables which passes the signal from whatever it receives from the respective input connections.

I still suspect the problem has to do with either High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) or the set-top box is pushing a 1080p signal over the component cables.  Although the lack of video with the composite cable would indicate its a problem with HDCP, unless you forgot to switch the video source within the Slingplayer software.

There's a few things I would recommend.  First, disconnect the HDMI cable from back of the set-top box then power it off and on.  On some boxes, the Selectable Output Control (SoC) doesn't re-enable analog outputs just because it is unplugged.  Also, try to find an option on your set-top box which limits the output threshold to 1080i.  This is usually found under compatibility section or video options.  The Sliingbox is unable to work with 1080p signals, the highest resolution it can work with is 1080i.

Btw, what is the exact model of the set-top box?

kevlar51

Well, it works now. Resetting the Slingbox on the second TV did the trick--and that is where it will stay. I forgot to mention in my first write-up that I did reset the box while still connected to the first TV in hopes of a solution.

The second TV's set-top box is a Motorola QIP 7100 (HD), and the first TV's box is a Motorola QIP 6416 (HD DVR).

So as it stands, I've got my QIP 7100 connected to the TV via HDMI and the Slingbox via Component. Hopefully it'll stay working.

Thanks.

betourne

I have the exact same problem with a single exception: no HDMI connections or flat screen TV.  I ran the Setup program, which detected the composit video connection.  Once this step is complete the audio starts, but not the video.  While there is an occasional pop, the screen in black.  I have also tried the S-Video connections.  After running setup and detecting the video signal the audio starts and the video is black.  The router, D-Link DIR 655, does not appear to be blocking the Slingbox suddenly as this setup has worked for over two years.  I've tried different cables and confirmed the output from Verizion's Motorola QIP-2500 set top box --both S-Video and composit - are functioning well connected to other video devices.

cchiodo

Ditto for me too.  I have a Slingbox PRO connected to a Tivo Series 3 through a Component cable.  I've never used an HDMI connection, ever.  Nothing about my setup has changed at all, but today when I try to connect to my slingbox on my local network (both devices hardwired), I get no video, but slingplayer seems to think everything is ok.  The most puzzling thing is that the stream speed never tops out over 120 kbps (on my local network) or so, whereas it usually gets closer to 4 or 5 mbps. 

One other unusual thing is that it seems to recognize the preferred aspect ratio of the video (that it's not showing).  If I change to a SD channel, SlingPlayer changes the aspect ratio of its window to 4:3, but shows no video.  If I change back to an HD channel, the SlingPlayer switches to a 16:9 ratio.  Clearly it knows something about the video that it's receiving.