1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 31, 2010 6:51 AM by tams RSS

hooking slingbox solo to FIOS dvr

tams

I have an HD DVR with FIOS from Verizon.  I have 2 set up questions:  1) Do I need to buy component cables or can I use the composite cables included in my slingbox solo?  I don't have an HDTV but they gave me the HD DVR as a promotion.  2)  Since my DVR is connected wirelessly to the Verizon router, can I hook the ethernet cable from the slingbox to the ethernet port on the back of the DVR?  I have tried using the composite cables and the above-mentioned ethernet connection and my network light is blinking.

• Re: hooking slingbox solo to FIOS dvr
          eferz Expert

tams wrote:

1) Do I need to buy component cables or can I use the composite cables included in my slingbox solo?  I don't have an HDTV but they gave me the HD DVR as a promotion.

Yes, you can use the composite cables in lieu of the component cables.

Though I would personnaly recommend both if you intend to using a mobile client.  Since none of the mobile clients have stretching capabilities.  You'll have to depend on the encoding resolution or viewing aspects.  I've found that high-definition channels fill the screen better through the component cables, while the standard definition channels are best viewed from the composite cable.

For the Slingplayer Desktop or the Web Slingplayer, you don't have to worry since the resizing the picture is handled by your the OS's graphics sub-system.

tams wrote:

2)  Since my DVR is connected wirelessly to the Verizon router, can I hook the ethernet cable from the slingbox to the ethernet port on the back of the DVR?

No, satellite recievers haven't been designed to be used as a wireless network bridge.  The ethernet port on the back of the Motorola ViP receiver was meant for cases where the WiFi signal isn't optimal.