2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2010 11:24 AM by eferz RSS

Network light solid but not connected - Please Help

sml978

I have a Slingbox Tuner that I haven't used in a while.  I plugged it back in and got nothing although both lights were solid.  When I tried to reset the Slingbox the network light went out, there was no blinking like in the tutorial.  The light came back on about 30 seconds later but the Slingbox did not show up in my DHCP list.  When I unplugged the ethernet cable the network light remains on and solid.  I have not seen it blink any.  Any ideas or do I need to send it back?  Thanks in advance for the help.

• Re: Network light solid but not connected - Please Help
          sml978

I should add that I have a Linksys WRT54G router.  Thanks.

• Re: Network light solid but not connected - Please Help
              eferz Expert

If you setup a reserved DHCP IP address, then some routers won't show it under the active leases.  Also, if the Slingbox retained a previously configured static IP address then it also won't show up in the active leases.

If you performed the factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038.html), then it should wipe out all the previous configuration informaiton.  This would allow the Slingbox to acquire a brand new DHCP address.

Perhaps, if the Slingbox isn't connected directly to the router, maybe its a good idea to connect it directly.  Maybe try a different cable or a different ethernet port on the router.  Something else to look for is an update to the firmware, as I understand some versions of the WRT firmware had DHCP issues with certain devices.  Also, if you're using a third-party linux firmware such as DD-WRT. OpenWRT, FreeWRT, or Tomato and there are no further updates, you might consider reverting temporarily to the original Linksys firmware to see if there's any improvement.