4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 2:41 PM by eferz RSS

Manually add Slingbox without logging into account

Metz

My employer has blocked the site accounts.sling.com so I can't log in to the Sling player to add a slingbox. Is there a way to manually add a Slingbox in a config file or in the registry so I can access it without logging into my account? Where is that data stored?

Thanks.

• Re: Manually add Slingbox without logging into account
          eferz Expert

LOL.  At purposely trying to get yourself fired by going around your employers network restrictions.

You can only get around it by using the Slingplayer Desktop, not the Web Slingplayer.

Metz

This is for the desktop player. And I am the IT guy at my job, so I won't get fired LOL.

Anyway, I figured it out for myself.

I copied SBProfile.xml, SlingPlayer.ini and the Remote folder from my home PC (C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0) *Windows 7

Everything works just fine now.

eferz Expert

With all due respect, here's my thinking process, and please correct me if I'm wrong.  If you're the IT guy then you could bypass network security by granting access to the devices under your control.  Unless you're just an IT guy that is trying to something beyond what the CIO has allowed.

Just sayin', "becareful".  I'm all for sticking it to man, just don't get caught, and stay employed.

The older Slingbox Desktop 1.5 (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/sp1-win-us.html) allows you to add entries to your Slingbox Directory since it has no idea about Sling Accounts.  If you're using version Slingplayer Desktop 2.0 then you can only access Slingboxes within the subnet without logging into the Sling Accounts.  The two files that retain information for the Slingplayer are called "Slingplayer.ini" and SBCore.ini".  Their location will vary upon your Windows version.  If you're using a Mac it will in the "com.slingmedia.slingplayer.plist" file within of your prefernce library of your home directory.