10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2010 2:11 PM by eferz RSS

Remote control problem for Olevia ZMT-621FTA+

davidkcting

Hi friends,

I have connected my Slingbox Solo to my set-top box Olevia ZMT-621FTA+. The remote control in Slingplayer has some problems. When I press a button once, the effect is just like I have pressed the button twice. For example, I press the button "UP" once to change an upper channel, it changes to two channels up. My slingplayer is version 2.0.4.521. Can you help? Thanks a lot.

Regards,

David

• Re: Remote control problem for Olevia ZMT-621FTA+
          alanrichey42 Master

When you ran the Video setup, did it offer you the option of changing the rate that channel changing codes were sent ?  If so rerun it and try all the settings.

davidkcting

Hi,

Thanks. No, there is no option to change the rate.

alanrichey42 Master

Odd, I just installed the ZMT-620FTA (the only option under Olevia) on my Classic and I was definitely presented with that page just before the setup was completed.

If you are not getting it then you cannot change the speed of the IR Code.   I've attached a Custom Remote I just built for you, can't promise anything but that definitely gives you that page so you might be able to tweak the timings.

alanrichey42 Master

Just so you know, this is the page I am talking about

Image1.jpg

eferz Expert

Unfortuantely, the preferences on that page only affects the how channels are sent through certain interfaces.  The interfaces which might require the actual channel to be reformatted for the specific set-top box.  For example, the selecting a program through the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) or sending channel changes through Andriod Remote Keypad.

A custom remote bin is the only way to affect the timing of repeats of the IR signal.

davidkcting

Hi,

Thanks. The bin files work sometimes after I used SlingPlayer 1.5 to set the IR speed to slow. Sometimes the behaviour of pressing button is the same as before but sometime it works. I have also tried to use betaremote.slingbox.com to customize my own remote control. The setup process works perfectly that I can test all the buttons successfully. But the number keys do not work well in reality. Using the physical remote, if I press "8" and the "5", the channel to go will be 85. However, when I use the virtual customized remote control in Slingbox, I press "8" and then "5", it does not go to 85 but just treat the signals independently, i.e. 8 = 0008 (it is not a valid channel) and then 5 = 0005 (again it is not a valid channel). I suspect it is due to long IR delay. In my version 2.0.4.521, there is no option to configure the IR speed / delay. May I know which version of SlingPlayer you are using right now?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

David

alanrichey42 Master

I happen to be using the same, but it isn't really relevant.  When you install a remote it goes into the Slingbox and the codes are then used by ALL viewing methods (Slingplayer 1,5, Slingplayer 2.0, Slingcatcher, Sling.com.....)   So the IR delays are built in to the Slingbox, not the player.

I only guess that Sling 'hardwire' the IR delays in some devices and if they are not sure they pop up that page.

I happen to have a similar problem to you in that the up/down buttons on the official Sky remote 'double-skip'.  The only way I could fix it was load a Custom Remote.  I didn't specifically change any settings it just seems as though the built-in delays in a Custom Remote are different to the ones in the built-in Sky Remote. 

eferz Expert

Actually, the aforementioned "Remote Control setup -- channel test" page is only available if you see the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) setup options in the "What device is connected to..." page as shown below.  This means the "Setup Your Slingbox" page will need the "Country" option set to either "USA" or "Canada", since they are the only countries where the EPG is available.  And you also need to setup with a device type which is relevant for EPG, unlike the DVD or non-controllable device.

It is obvious that the two seperate setup pages are related, since you'd only need to reformat the channel changes for the EPG queue.  However, I believe the availablity of the "Remote Control setup -- channel test" page should no longer be dependant on EPG availablity since the functionality of the Andriod Keypad Remote is also dependant on those settings.

EPG setup.jpg

alanrichey42 Master

Well picked up.  I hadn't seen the link between the EPG and that page but you are absolutely correct.  I have confirmed with my UK Slingboxes that the page never appears during setup.   So it is totally irrelevant to the 'double skipping' problem.

I have also done a bit more investigating with my boxes and found the 'skipping' is not only dependent on the Slingbox type but the on-screen menu.

On my Slingbox Classic, driven by a Sky+ HD Box, I have no problem at all with any of the up/down commands, using a Custom Remote  (I cannot load a built-in Remote as it is a US Slingbox.)

On my Solo and Pro-HD boxes, on some menus I get a 'double skip' on others a 'triple skip' on both up and down.  And that applies whether I use a built-in remote or my Custom Remote and is totally consistent.

So my conclusion is that the repeat figure and the inter-key delay settings are built into the Firmware of the Slingbox and are of a fixed value.   And it looks as though they are different in the Solo and the Pro HD, making it more sensitive to multiple skips.  It might be worth asking people who are experience these problems what type of Slingbox they have, to see if there is a common factor.

Looks like the oldest are the best

And something I suggest the moderators pass on to the engineers.

eferz Expert

I was looking at the Remote Master's "protocol.ini" file the other day.  Noticed that some protocols could be fine tuned to change the duration and repeats.  Perhaps the IR codes or protocol specific to the devices that are skipping were "misinterpreted" when it was learned.  Or possibly, the specific UEI chip inside the Slingbox is "misinterpreting" the remote device update.

Since it appears that davidkcting can get the betaremote to learn the codes without repeating, perhaps he could upload the MyRemote.lrz file for the specific protocol to be manually analyzed.