11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 4:06 PM by ranaleon RSS

Need support for Froyo on Evo 4G...

Andrew99

Hi Guys,

I already have my Froyo update to my Evo 4G and my slingbox app no longer is available.  When do you estimate it will become available?

Thanks!

• Re: Need support for Froyo on Evo 4G...
          eferz Expert

There's actually a couple reasons why the Slingplayer Mobile (SPM) for Android isn't showing up in the  Google Andriod Market Place.  This is because SPM is marked as a paid, copy-protected application.  Google uses filters in the Android Mariet  to manage access based on sanctioned country, rom, and phone  combinations.

There's a small subset of countries which have the ability to buy Andriod applications.  The country  is determined by the SIM in your mobile device not by physical  location.  So, you could get around Google's filter by using a pre-paid  SIM from one of the supported countries.

The other filter is due to the  application being copy protected.  Google will govern your access based  on the "/system/build.prop" file.  If it is sanctioned, then Google will  have its fingerprint saved it in their database.  This can prevent  certain phone/ROM combination and rooted access from seeing any  copy-protected applications within the Andriod Market.

The  following link best describes the issue and possible workarounds (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-spica/98024-protected-app-market-fix-tutorial-build-prop.html).

Once you've resolved the filtering conflict then you can use Google Goggles with the following picture.

com.slingmedia.slingPlayer.png

Or this link (market://details?id=com.slingmedia.slingPlayer)

ACC230784

Well, excuse me, but when I paid money for a player that worked on my Evo, I expect it to work on my Evo when it is upgraded to 2.2.  The "workaround" is amazingly complex when all I want to know is why doesn't slingbox work with Froyo?

When will Slingbox fix the problem and allow me access to the marketplace. I'm not in Bulgaria, I'm in California. I don't have an "unofficial" Froyo release, I have a sanctioned official Android 2.2 operating system.

When will Slingbox allow marketplace access on an official release, and why haven't they already granted access?

ACC230784

I think it needs to made clear that the Android 2.2 update to the Evo is not a ROOTED 2.2.  This is an OFFICIAL update by HTC and Sprint.

This update will affect hundreds, if not thousands, of Slingbox users on the Evo. The update is NOT voluntary, it is a mandatory, over-the-air update.

This update is fully supported by Sprint and HTC.

This update NEEDS to be granted access by Slingbox on the Marketplace.

EDIT:  And no, this question is not close to being answered.

eferz Expert

I can empathize with your problem.  Reading is hard for a lot of  people.  Nevertheless, Sling Media doesn't have any control over which  applications are available to you in the Google Andriod Market place.   It is Google's own filters that's preventing you from seeing the  Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod. I suggest that you take your concerns to  Google's technical support for the Andriod Market (http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/?hl=en).

ACC230784

Yes, you are having a very difficult time reading and understanding. For instance, you replied to the first post as if you clearly did not understand that the OP was actually 1) in this country or 2) did not have a rooted phone.  Sorry that I did not make that absolutely clear to you.  Your air of superiority is genuinely misplaced. And your suggestion that Sling is not to blame is a sorry response.

And why, pray tell, would not Sling take its problem to Google? You blame Google for the problem, but it is Sling's customers who suffer. To be proactive, any company should (and would) go to bat for a large number of customers when its product is made unavailable.

Fortunately, you don't work for Slingbox. Hopefully, you don't work in customer support for any company.

eferz Expert

Apparently, you refuse to understand that Google needs to saction your rom/phone combination.  This is the exact same thing that happend when the Mototola Driod X came out in July 15th.  You can see it in this post (https://community.sling.com/message/11076#11076).  Google didn't saction the rom/phone combination till about 3:00 pm the day it was released.  When Google finally sanctioned it, it appeared to everyone who purchased Mototola Driod X .

Did you even bother to do the test as suggested in the link?

Before we start, check the Android Market from your phone using the  Market app (the official Google one, not Appbrain or others). Search for  "dr droid". There are two Dr. Droid apps, a free and a paid version and  both are "protected" apps. If you can't see them, then your firmware  probably isn't cleared for "protected" apps.
                              ACC230784

There you go.... You finally got around to referring to something that was relevant. Yes, if you had mentioned this in the first reply, it would have been much more helpful.

Still, I am sure Slingbox can better bring this to Google's attention than I can. After all, I have no leverage at all with Google. Hopefully, a vendor will both know how to get Google's attention and have the sway to get something done soon.

eferz Expert

Thanks, though I should point out that's the exact same information which I replied to the original poster.  In fact, its the exact information that I posted for everyone who has problems with finding the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod application in the Google Market.

Anyways, after further research, it appears the offical release date for Andriod 2.2 for Sprint EVO4 is August 3rd according to Sprint, Engadget, and Andriod Forums.  Let's hope that Google doesn't wait till the 3rd to sanction the phone/rom combination.  Apparently, for some combinations it took them weeks to sanction.

In addition to trying to have Slingmedia to push for it (and from my experience they won't), as a Sprint Customer you should get Sprint to push Google to sanction the phone/rom combination especially since its being released ahead of schedule.

Apprentice

Hi, ACC230784.

We would like to know if the information provided here helped you to fix the reported issue. Just make sure to post your results!

Regards,
                                    The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team