11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2010 4:47 PM by michael@arnottindustries.com RSS

Losing connection, please help!  6 hours in

bigfan84

Hello.  I have a slingbox solo and have got as far as connecting everything, it is recognized on network, by hard connected router, etc.  However, i am unable to complete the initial configuration because after i get a couple screens into it, i am told it has lost the connection.  I have tried resetting everything, different ethernet cables, etc.  I just lost 6 hours of my life i will never get back.....can anyone please offer any guidance?

• Re: Losing connection, please help!  6 hours in
          eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

bigfan84

Thanks for your info.  I verified that i have the proper power source, but tried another outlet to be safe.  I was again able to get a couple pages in for the configuration.  I pick my password, then pick what device i am connecting too, satellite box, then the next screen starts to load the channel lineup, but the connection between the slingbox and router is then lost.   What are my options here?  is there anything fixable or am i looking at a loss?  Thanks.

eferz Expert

bigfan84 wrote:

Thanks for your info.  I verified that i have the proper power source, but tried another outlet to be safe.  I was again able to get a couple pages in for the configuration.  I pick my password, then pick what device i am connecting too, satellite box, then the next screen starts to load the channel lineup, but the connection between the slingbox and router is then lost.   What are my options here?  is there anything fixable or am i looking at a loss?  Thanks.

Unforuntately, its pretty hard to determine if the AC adapter is supplying enough power to the Slingbox.  Does the Slingbox look like it is rebooting during "the next screen starts to load the channel lineup, but the connection between the slingbox and router is then lost."  That can be a symptom of a malfunctioning power supply, or it could be the Slingbox itself.  Unfortunately, there's not many tools available to us to determine the exact fault, so we have to use a process of elimination to determine if the problem is with the AC adapter or the Slingbox itself.

michael@arnottindustries.com

i am having this same problem and i dont think it is my power supply because it just started happening when i got a new router.  i reset the the sling box and i can not get through the setup process without losing the connection with the sling box solo.

seems like eferz is the only one answering any of these questions...

eferz Expert

i am having this same problem and i dont think it is my power supply because it just started happening when i got a new router.  i reset the the sling box and i can not get through the setup process without losing the connection with the sling box solo.

seems like eferz is the only one answering any of these questions...

I feel for you guys, so in my free time I help people in need.

At which point are you losing connectivity?  And does it appear that your Slingbox is rebooting at that time?

There's another point in the process which it asks you for the router's user id and password.  If it is failing at that point, but isn't rebooting then I would suspect the problem has to do with the Universal Plug and Play.  Either a firmware update may fix it, or manually disabling the option in the router will bypass that problem.

the first time it happened i didnt even get to the first step.  the second time it happened i managed to setup the slingbox name and password, then what type of cable box i have.  the video was playing in the little window and the power test worked fine then it lost connection again. if it manages to connect again i will check to see if the lights on the sling box change.

okay it disconnected on the same screen again.  the one where you test to see if you can change the channel.   the two lights on the front of the sling box are still lit up though.

could this possibly be my new router blocking it.  if so how can i allow it through?

that also did not work.

i bit the bullet and paid slingmedia for their technical help.  so far she had me try the following.

1. reset: hold down the reset button for 10 seconds

2. hard reset: unplug the unit, hold down the reset button for 5 seconds, while holding the reset button in plug the power back in, hold the reset button for an additional 5 seconds.

3. she opened my router setup screen to verify that my router was giving the slingbox an ip address and it was.

these steps did not fix my problem so they are sending me a new sling box. (during the setup process the network light on the slingbox solo turns off and then i lose connection)

i will keep you posted after i recieve the new one. (3 - 5 business days)   ...i still think it has something to do with my router, but we will see...

the new unit works and fixed all my problems.  hope all these steps help other people.