15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 2:00 PM by ranaleon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Sling Power Supplies - Corporate Irresponsibility?

PTVMan

I have the Pro HD model and 2 weeks ago the network connection stopped working completely. The network light wouldn't come on or even blink. The Sling horseshoe logo would stay fully lit. Nevertheless, my Sling became useless. So, I came to this forum to research the problem only to find out that quite a few owners have had this problem, and in most cases it can be traced back to a failed/faulty power supply. I called Sling technical support and was completely unsatisfied with their help, as my unit is just out of warranty. I guess Sling knows the expected lifespan of their products.   Anyway, I rummaged around my electronics scrap drawer and found a power adapter from another product that quickly fixed my Pro HD connectivity problem. I'm sure that Sling would have preferred that I buy a new adapter from them (or refurbed unit for $99), but I'm glad to have denied them any more of my money to make their product work. From reading this forum it would be a mistake to assume that Sling is not aware of the problem. They clearly are aware and have chosen to do what most corporations do - ignore the problem and accept no responsibility. There's no way of knowing how widespread the problem is, but even if it's limited I think Sling should stand behind its product.  I've taken the liberty of emailing my experience and (unattributed) copies of other postings to Gizmodo, Engadget, Tech Crunch and others to see if those blogs are interested in pursuing a story. I think all users with this problem should let their displeasure known to Sling. That's the only way they will do the right thing.

• Re: Sling Power Supplies - Corporate Irresponsibility?
          grage

I noticed my Pro HD stopped working last week but just got around to looking at it today.  I'm pretty certain I have the same problem, bad power supply as the logo is lit solid and the power light is faintly lit up and it doesn't respond to a reset.  Of course my slingbox is just outside the 1 year warranty. I've only seen a couple of posts on here that match my symptoms but I think the general consensus seems to be a new power supply will fix it.  I'm appalled though that in order to determine if it's as simple as replacing the power supply you must pay to call tech support.  I don't mind paying for a replacement if I knew that it would actually solve the problem but paying to have them tell me its now a doorstop would be unacceptable.  I'm certain if this happened say to Apple there would be no questions asked replacement adapters sent out.  I remember getting a replacement charger for my iphone by simply going to the Apple store and handing over the old one.  In another case, my Xbox power adapter was also replaced free of charge from Microsoft.  I'm not sure why Sling doesn't acknowledge the problem and treat their customers right.  I recently recommended the device to a friend as he was impressed by my ability to watch TV on my phone, I can't say I will be giving out any more recommendations anymore based on how this problem has been handled.

kbmorgan

If you read my first post in No Connectivity on PRO HD - No Network LED, you will see that all of us are experiencing the same symptoms. I also say that chopper power supplies that are on 24/7, and supply 4 amps will go bad. I have a Pro SD and it has not had a problem yet, and I have had it for years. We can assume that this is going to be a recurring theme since we all had the problem occur around the same time. Now that I have pin-pointed the problem, maybe Sling Media can find a more reliable power supply, or have the manufacturer of the supply beef it up a little more. I hate to see good products hurt by bad power supplies.

I think Sling Media will make good on this problem. It is just that it occurred in large scale at the same time to many people, and since this is, most likely, the first time anyone is seeing these symptoms, Sling Media had to confirm the problem and will determine what to do next. If I told you the story about Sony and their 860 professional beta tape machines, you would probably think that such a big name company could over look such problems and still ship out the machines to broadcast network customers. Or even 3M not catching the problem with the tape path in the video cassette tape, missing a roller, and still shipped out boxes of brand new tapes all misthreaded. Don't knock a good product because of a poor 3rd party manufactured power supply. Sling Media didn't make the supply, they just used it.

I would still recommend the Slingbox to anyone interested in doing what we do with it.

grage

I just have a problem throwing good money after bad.  What if I pay $30 for support and they can't help me?  What if I pay $20 for a new adapter and it doesn't fix the problem?  I personally would just like a little more assurance that after I spend the money that I will be left with a functioning piece of hardware again.  I guess I feel like I haven't gotten my money's worth from the Sling as it sits idle most of the time and expected it to last longer.  Yes I would agree if it's only the power supply it's hard to knock the product just based on that, however if it's a known problem (and it must if they are selling these adapters from their store) then you'd think they would try and address it and either get a new supplier or rework the box so that it doesn't draw as much amperage.

madref

I had the same problem with my Slingbox HD. I replaced the power supply. I got it replaced with asother powere supply. I still get a network error. I checked everythng and reset everything. I still get a Network Error?

Let me know if you have some suggestions?

kbmorgan

I have now opened and discovered the problem with the Slingbox Pro HD power supply. I left another message in another forum about looking into this. The problem is that the 5 volt 4 amp supply looses current output. I replaced C12 and C13 in the supply. Both are 680uf at 10 volts, 105-degrees c electrolytic polarized capacitors. I replaced them with 1000uf at 10 volts. You can see that they have physically changed as the tops have bulged upward. I measured them and found that one had dropped to 32uf and the other had dropped to 368uf. My HD Slingbox is back up and running fine. I used a dremel with the cut tool to carefully score along the seam, all the way around, and then pry it open the rest of the way. The board will fold the tabs, connected to the Plug prongs, enough to get to the back of the board to unsolder and replace the capacitors. I then used electrical tape to wrap around the supply to hold the top back on. This will let me get back inside if I should have to ever replace the caps again. If you do this repair remember to observe the polarity of the caps when you replace them. Hopefully the 1000uf caps will take longer to change value before having to be replaced again. I would have also used a higher voltage, like 16 or 25 volts, if the physical size worked, but I didn't have any with the physical size at those values.  Hope this helps. I did eventually find the link here to be able to order a replacement supply. http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts

grage

I suggest to everyone to call support and explain your situation, I was expecting the worst and got the best outcome I could have expected

GrizzlyG

I've had my Slingbox Solo for 18 months and for the past 6 I've had the same problem. I have also tried everything with no luck. I find it disgraceful that Slingbox do not acknowledge this problem. I know the warranty for support expired after 1 year but I thought the hardware warranty was 2 or 3 years depending on where you live. I'm in the UK does anyone know? What is their telephone number?

Appreciate any help.

Apprentice

Hi, PTVMan and all

Use the link below for Sling Support contact information.

Contact Sling Media Support

Regards