13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2011 5:30 AM by lingenfr RSS

Slingplayer

boagernes

Any news?

I have been trying to get Slingplayer to work and have had no fun at all.

Is anyone working on something to make it possible to watch my slingbox under UBUNTu 10.04?

• Re: Slingplayer
          eferz Expert

Running Slingplayer under Linux isn't offically supported by Sling Media.  You might consider going to this site (http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/watching-your-slingplayer-on-linux/) for more information on getting it going.

255909662557039 Newbie

Ok. So an update here for Linux desktops. I have a solution! I stumbled upon this completely by accident and haven't tested it yet because some compiling and patching is involved. If you would like to know the solution, please PM me or message me as I do not think this should be public just yet. For one reason, it's quite beta. Secondly, it's not officially supported by SlingMedia, who seem to not care if a Linux version is ever created.

millermmail Newbie

Could you provide us with some details?

Who are you?  (your all-numbers screen-name makes me think this is spam)

What distribution of Linux are you proposing a solution for?

Does this involve using the Windows SlingPlayer (and which version) or something else?

How do you plan to release this?

Why are you posting the same message on all the official Linux threads if you don't actually have a solution yet?  Wouldn't it make more sense to create a new thread about your work-in-progress?

Obviously anything that isn't released from Sling Media won't be officially supported.  But that doesn't mean you can't share your information.

255909662557039 Newbie

I'm not sure how to change my display name from all numbers (SB ID?) to my handle. It shows as my name when logged in, but the number when not.

Also I can see how to add friends, but don't see any way to private message anyone without going directly to email.

I use Ubuntu (10.04) and that is what I intend to test this on. This is not a wine workaround, but another workaround involving a standalone application, patching, and subsequent compiling of that code. I believe the author of that patch was using upnp to connect.

I've posted the same message in other threads in hopes of gathering the masses who have already inquired about it and will see the reply via the auto notify, but as per your suggestion I've gone ahead and created a thread on this here: https://community.sling.com/thread/8941

I'm not sure if this will be removed, but if you have any luck, please let the community know.

millermmail Newbie

Ah, ok.  My appology, I didn't realize that changed for logged in vs not logged in.  Now I have to also figure out mine because I though it was displaying my real name.  (Forum mods -- can you help us?)

Here's what I did to watch SlingPlayer on my Ubuntu netbook, I'm not sure if something changed in WINE since 1.3.6 that affects the installer but I haven't had time to investigate.

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/general-sling-box-discussions/how-to-set-up-slingplayer-2-0-on-linux/

lingenfr

OK, so it's 3 weeks later, any progress? I am considering replacing my mythbuntu system with a slingbox, but some kind of linux support is a must. I've read the wine info and imagine that will do. Still need to do more research.

millermmail Newbie

I think the most optomistic answer is "highly unlikely", as close to "never" as you can get.  AFAIK, Sling does NOT support Linux.

The best bet is reading the thread at placeshifting enthusiests -- read the comments too because some common issues came up (e.g. 64-bit would crash SlingPlayer) and I've posted workarounds as comments.  Since Linux and WINE are always changing and evolving, this is a moving target but "off the record" I plan to continue trying to find workarounds as any new issues come up and get posted on the article - my motivation is because I got my netbook primarialy to use as a portable TV.  Obviously there are some limitations by running an unsupported platform (currently I have no closed-caption, no SlingAccount, and TV guide for one -- but you can always go to tvguide.com with your web browser) but 90% of the features work including sidebar, full-screen, and the 60-minute video pause/rewind buffer.  You *might* need a Windows machine long enough to run the Sling setup, I've never tried it.

I've been using SP 2.0 on my Ubuntu netbook through WINE with the procedure I wrote up for placeshifting enthusiests and so far haven't had any problems.

lingenfr

That is what I thought. I really want to be able to export files that I can take with me and watch on the plane, etc. I can do that easily with my mythtv setup. I ordered all the parts to make my mythbackend rock solid yesterday. I will keep an eye on the sling gang to see if they pull their heads out of their arses and support linux. Thanks fo the feedback.