3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2010 2:31 PM by eferz RSS

Net flix

Kace

Why doesnt the sling box stream net flix watch now movies to your tv

• Re: Net flix
          eferz Expert

The Slingbox is a hardware streaming server not a client.

Kace

A client? Whatis that suppoesd to mean? Look I was trying to make a suggestion on how to improve the product. The "Hardware streaming server" as you put it could stream in the other direction as well! Next time keep the additude to yourself!

eferz Expert

Kace wrote:

A client? Whatis that suppoesd to mean? Look I was trying to make a suggestion on how to improve the product. The "Hardware streaming server" as you put it could stream in the other direction as well! Next time keep the additude to yourself!

Sorry, if you felt my response had "any attitude" behind it.  It doesn't, I mearly stated a fact not an opinion.

The hardware of the Slingbox does not have the capactiy to "stream in the other direction".  It doesn't have a graphics engine to display anything on the television.  As this is not what it was designed to do.  The outputs of the Slingbox are simple pass through of whatever is coming from the respective inputs.  The Slingbox has the ability to transcode the baseband signals from the audio and video inputs to reformat these signals into a multimedia stream which is viewable on the Slingplayer client software.

The SlingCatcher (http://ca.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher) was able to do something similar to what you suggest.  It was a hardware client which allowed you to watch the stream from the Slingbox, and also had the ability to allow you to watch videos from your PC.  Unfortunately, for the United States it seems to be a little to much for them to continue to develop, so it has been discontinued here.  However, you can still get the SlingCatcher in various countries like the UK and Canada.

If you're interested, there is a product though that is coming out that is alleged to be able to perform both features of the Slingbox, the SlingCatcher, and more.  Possibly even the feature you suggest.  It is called the Vulkano by Monsoon Media, here's a link to their site for your viewing pleasure (http://www.myvulkano.com/index.html).