8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2010 10:31 PM by jmillerah RSS

Connecting to Slingbox Problem

zetor12

I have just set up my Slingbox Solo in Estonia, I installed the software on a laptop and it all worked fine, I have now just got back to Luxembourg where I want to view it and installed the software on my pc  but when I log-in and try and connect I get an error message saying "There was a problem comunicating with the Slingbox, try again" from the help window it also says"Error: 0x92340109, Context: 20, Operation:110" and says to check my network, router and firewall, I am connected to the net so I presume that means my network is ok, I added "Launch Slingplayer" to my Windows Firewall (not sure if that is correct or not) and I wasn't sure if I need to open any ports on my router and what they are?, any help much apreciated.

Slingbox Solo

Windows 7 + Windows Firewall

Linksys Router

• Re: Connecting to Slingbox Problem
          eferz Expert

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that you have someone check the router's firewall rules where the Slingbox is hosted.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
          Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
          Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
          Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

zetor12

Thanks for the info, i now understand that I need to set it up for Remote viewing and not just local, all the links are really usefull, one of them says it is possible to set up the Remotes viewing automatically using the Slingbox Set Up Wizard, I wasn't sure about where I access this wizard? I won't now be able to get access to the router until I go back to Estonia which will be in 3 weeks but in the meantime I want to make sure I know exactley what I need to do to configure the router there.

eferz Expert

Its the same wizard you used to setup the local viewing.  You can use the Setup Assistant in the Slingplayer Desktop or Web Slingplayer to continue the configuration for remote viewing.

zetor12

I have a few more questions:), am I right in thinking then that the router where the Slingbox is located I need to open ports 5001(TCP&UDP) and then find my Slingbox IP address and forward it to that address, can this Slingbox IP address change or is it always static? Also do I need to do anything to the router at the Remote viewing end?  I have ordered a Slingcatcher which I will use at the Remote viewing end, a I presume this also will not work until I am able to make the changes to the router at the Slingbox end?

eferz Expert

zetor12 wrote:

I have a few more questions:), am I right in thinking then that the router where the Slingbox is located I need to open ports 5001(TCP&UDP) and then find my Slingbox IP address and forward it to that address, can this Slingbox IP address change or is it always static?

That depends on how you set it up.  If you want to avoid a misalignment of the Slingbox's current IP address and your port forwarding rules, then you want to either assign it a reserved or static IP address.

zetor12 wrote:

Also do I need to do anything to the router at the Remote viewing end? 

No.  It's only necessary on the router which the Slingbox is attached.

zetor12 wrote:

I have ordered a Slingcatcher which I will use at the Remote viewing end, a I presume this also will not work until I am able to make the changes to the router at the Slingbox end?

Correct.

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.

zetor12

"That depends on how you set it up.  If you want to avoid a misalignment  of the Slingbox's current IP address and your port forwarding rules,  then you want to either assign it a reserved or static IP address."

I can set a static IP address on my PC for remote viewing but I am thinking once my SlingCatcher is working all my viewing will be on that, you mention about to avoid misalignment of the Slingbox IP address to assign a static IP address but is this IP address set on the router then?

eferz Expert

zetor12 wrote:

I can set a static IP address on my PC for remote viewing but I am thinking once my SlingCatcher is working all my viewing will be on that, you mention about to avoid misalignment of the Slingbox IP address to assign a static IP address but is this IP address set on the router then?

There are many places to input a "fixed" IP, so don't get them all confused.

1. Each Slingbox Directory Entry allows you to chose connection negotiation between Sling ID or Direct IP address. 
                                  2. The Slingbox IP address can be set via DHCP (default) or Static IP address using the Setup Assistant.
                                  3. Router port forwarding rules can only redirect ports to a specific IP address.
                                  4. Some routers allow you to create a reserved DHCP IP address, which will allow a consistant IP to MAC address pairing.