14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2010 2:23 PM by ranaleon RSS

Stream interruptions on Iphone

Guido11 Newbie

Hello!

I have lots of stream interuptions on the Iphone while watching.

They are "just" a second but still bad. It makes no difference if I use 3G or WIFI. They occur in both networks (with strong signal strength).

Strangely these interruptions do not occur at all if I use my notebook (same location. WIFI or 3G).

Is there any possibility to get a clean stream for my Iphone 3G? What can I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Guido

• Re: Stream interruptions on Iphone
          eferz Expert

Maybe the problem is with your iPhone?

Guido11 Newbie

I thought of that, too but I doubt that.

All Youtube and Air Video App streams are brilliant.

It looks more as if the bandwidth is triggered down to a maximum of 500 kbps ( I heard rumours about that) and does not reach the 1200 kbps possible that I am able to use with my notebook.

Is this true?

If so, is there a possibility to set the upstream manually for the Iphone as I can do it for my Windows SlingPlayer?

There are lots of hiccups while watching. The audio stream is fine.

I it is not as enjoyable to watch as on my notebook. To be honest it is not even close to the result that I get via "Air video" or Youtube streams.

I hope you can help me to fix this problem.

Thanks again.

Guido

eferz Expert

Guido11 wrote:

I thought of that, too but I doubt that.  All Youtube and Air Video App streams are brilliant. 

It looks more as if the bandwidth is triggered down to a maximum of 500 kbps ( I heard rumours about that) and does not reach the 1200 kbps possible that I am able to use with my notebook.  Is this true?  If so, is there a possibility to set the upstream manually for the Iphone as I can do it for my Windows SlingPlayer?

There are lots of hiccups while watching. The audio stream is fine.  I it is not as enjoyable to watch as on my notebook. To be honest it is not even close to the result that I get via "Air video" or Youtube streams.

I hope you can help me to fix this problem.

Thanks again.

Guido

You'll shouldn't compare the quality of streaming with a prerendered video like YouTube.  This is because the file is static, and already been encoded.

Live transcoding is a difference process entirely.  The Slingbox takes the baseband signals of the set-top box and transcodes them into a multimedia stream.  Because it does not have the same luxuries as a prerendered stream, it must employ various compression techniques.  Like i-frame compression.  The Slingbox will also employ different techniques in order to reduce the bandwidth requirements such as variable bit rates and lower encoding resolutions.

Slingplayer Mobile clients also place tresholds on the encoding stream in order to not eat up your bandwidth.

Threshold
                  Setting
                  High Quality Resolution320x240
                  Standard Quality Resolution256x192
                  Max Frame Rate15
                  Max 3G/Edge Bitrate250Kbps
                  Max WiFi BitRate500Kbps
                      Guido11 Newbie

Hi eferz!

Yes, I agree with you regarding the prerendered videos on youtube. You´re right there!

I also see the point regarding the the reduction in 3G/Edge environments.

But why does the bandwidth have to be reduced to 500 kbps and a maximum framerate of 15 frames when watching the stream in a WIFI network?

That does not make any sense to me.

Technically it is nearly the same as watching on a notebook.

Is it possible to raise these values at least for a WIFI connection?

Cheers

Guido

skbox

Finaly someone with the same problems.

15 frames per second, why?????!!!!!

It's annoying people are saying on this forum: Check your iPhone or check your iPod.

Those devices aren't the problem, it's slingplayer software that's the problem!

The restrictions are insane! The iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS have Wifi n, so please speed the 15 frames per second up to 30 frames please!

It's much to slow right now. I noticed this too, and it is horrible to watch.

I have high speed internet, the latest dualband router of Netgear and outstandig reception, so that's not the problem!

Again: It's the Slingplayer software that sucks big time.

That's why I also noticed slow video on my ipod and iphone.

Slingbox please make it 30 frames per second for Wifi. It's terrible right now on the ipod and iphone!

Weav

I have terrible resolution on my Iphone 3GS. If I watch say a Pixar movie from my DVR it looks pretty **** good. But the minute I go to watch a live football game it is terrible. Between ATT, Apple, Bestbuy and Slingbox no one can tell me if it's just a matter of the Iphone being limited or the Slingbox being limited. The trick is, it looks great on my computer wi-fi, but quality is equally crappy on my Iphone wi-fi or 3G.

Any thoughts on this? There must be a way to enjoy a football game on my Iphone!

(by the way I thought this was 30 fpm)

Thanks!

eferz Expert

There's not really much settings available on the Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone.  You can only select HD (320x240) and SD quality (256x192).  The rest of the parameters are dynamically configured by the client.  There are thresholds however place on certain settings.

These parameters are set in the size.plist file within the SlingPlayer.ipa file for the iPhone.

• MaxFrameRateFor3GS=15
                          • MaxFrameRateForOthers=15
                          • Max3G_EDGE_TotalBitrate=250
                          • MaxWifiTotalBitRate=500

The 30 frames notion is only available for the Slingplayer Desktop and Web clients.

Apprentice

Hi, Guido11 and all.

We would like to know if the information provided here helped you to fix the reported issue. Just make sure to post your results!