20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2011 5:47 PM by twc3176 RSS

Unable to connect

Bassply97

I've tried everything to connect my slingbox solo to my router.  I ran the software on my computer and it can never find a signal.  Both lights on the front of the slingbox are steady.  I have the slingbox connected via S-Video and I'm running it through a Linksys router and I have a Macbook Pro.

I'm able to change channels through the using the IR adapter during setup, so it must be connected to the network correctly, but it cannot find a cable signal.  I've made the changes to the settings on my router like the support website suggested and still nothing.

• Re: Unable to connect
          eferz Expert

Are you actually seeing a message like this...

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/IO/3762/weak_signal.jpg

Because that's talking about the video signal from your set-top box, not the computer "signal" to the Slingbox.

Bassply97

Thanks for the quick reply.  No, it doesn't mention a signal at all.  I get a message saying "Unable to connect to Slingbox.  Please verify your Slingbox network and connection settings and try again".

eferz Expert

Ahh, okay.  Most likely the culprit is some sort of desktop firewall which is preventing the Slingplayer Client ftom forming both both TCP connections to the Slingbox.

Bassply97

I forgot to add, during setup, I can change the channel on the TV through the Slingplayer and I can power the TV on/off.  That said, it continues to say "no video signal detected".

Bassply97

I was able to get the network to recognize my Slingbox in the Slingbox directory and it's showing that the slingbox is available. 

During setup I was also able to see a very brief picture from my cable box on the computer screen, but the picture disappeared and the setup in Slingplayer won't complete.

Any thoughts??

eferz Expert

What sort of symptoms are showing up when you are unable to complete?

Bassply97

I finally got the sling media player to recognize my slingbox and the slingplayer now is set up.  It will show a picture on the slingplayer for a few seconds, then go to a black screen which says "weak or no video signal detected".

I give up with this thing.  You need to be a computer programmer to get it to work!

eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

twc3176

Is this a current issue that Sling is having?  I'm having the same problems and getting the same message for both my Slingbox Classic and Slingbox Solo.  I have reset the Slingboxes, the cable modem (Motorola), tried two wireless routers (Netgear and D-Link Dir-601) - checked the firewall on both the routers and the computer, port forwarding, switched the power supplies for the Slingboxes - still gives me the network error.

Help please?

A month later, with a new MacBook (older version of slingbox for Mac) plus a newer model of Netgear router (n300), am happy to report that my slingbox solo is working and accessible on my devices!

CaptainTivo

I am having a similar problem.  I have a slingbox solo along with the slinglink (and no it isn't plugged into a power strip)  Both the power light and network light are solid on the solo.   I start the setup using sling player and it sees the new solo and I enter box name and password hit next and then the player drops the connection and setup stops.  Some times it will gets all the way to selecting cable company before it drops, but once it does, nothing is saved and I have to start over and the same things happens again.  I don't know what is going on.  I have tried with firewall on and off, no different.  Please help!

-Doug

graemebshaw

I am having exactly the same issue.  It worked for the past year or so, but then stopped sometime in the last month.  I tried to troubleshoot and ended up doing a hard reset of the slingbox, but now I can't set it up again because it doesn't get through the set up assistant... it fails when trying to detect a video signal and then disconnects from the network.  I have tried using the Slingplayer application and the web based set up assistant and both fail at exactly the same point.  I have done a thorough network diagnosis and it is not a problem with the router or the internet connectivity.  And the satellite signal is strong (checked with a second display).  I really can't work out what is happening and it is driving me nuts.  Did anyone get a solution?

Graeme

btw, I am using a Sling Solo, Linksys router, Dish PVR 622, and Macbook Pro.

rguckes

Same problem here....I even replaced my Directv box. 

I get two solid lights on the sling solo.  I can see the solo under Sling Box directories.   Under the directory menu I can access information on the box (sometimes).  Then the LAN connection is lost.

During the set up, I can sometimes get to the point of seeing a picture from by Directv box.  The picture is short lived, after a few seconds the network connection is lost and there goes the picture.  I have never been able to get far on the set up.  I get to the screen in which setup info is loaded from the slingbox.  Then I loose my network connection and get the message, "Slingbox configuration has failed. Unable to connect to slingbox.  Please verify your Slingbox network and connection settings and try again."

I am using a Time Capsule as my primary router.  I have tried port forwarding, and opening up port 5001.  I dont think it is a network issue.

Ryan

Rena

Same problem -- was working fine then all of a sudden "not connected".  I did update slingbox software.  Tried reseting slingbox, still no connection.  I view on Mac and am going through Time Capsule, but hasn't been a problem for last few years.  Not sure what has changed, but clearly there is a new problem.  Unfortunately this company refuses basic customer support without further charges.  Very disappointed slingbox user.  No more selling of this product by word of mouth from me. 

QAKnight

I have the same problem as you guys, but my network light does not light, any ideas???? I have reset this box and still does not respond. I can't finish the setup. I am getting ready to throw this freeking box on the trash. any ideas????

masegal

I'm having the exact same issues...has anyone found a solution?