6 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2011 1:19 PM by mjrogers99 RSS

PRO-HD bad MAC address?

EandVTat3

The MAC address marked on the packing material and on the Slingbox is 00:13:B6:08:3B:98.

However, the router never saw the DHCP request on any LAN port (I tried all available), and the Network light never stopped blinking.

Soft reboots and powercycling the router had no effect.

Stepping thru the troubleshooting steps in the manual, I tripped the Reset switch.

Now, the router sees the DHCP request and issues an IP, but the MAC address shown is 12:34:56:78:00:01.  Powercycling the PRO-HD has no effect on this.

The hostname associated with the bogus MAC is blank.

The network light continues blinking.

Any ideas?  Do I have a defective unit?

• Re: PRO-HD bad MAC address?
          eferz Expert

I dunno, its possible that someone might have pulled a PCB switcheroo.

Anyways, you might want to check the router for firmware updates.  There are certain routers / firmware versions which don't quite adhere to the standard DHCP protocol.  This has caused a problem for the Slingbox to obtain a DHCP address.  The most common occurance of this symptom is realized from particular versions of a third-party Linux firmware replacements, like DD-WRT, openWRT, FreeWRT, or Tomato.  Most of the time, this can be resolved by a firmware update or reverting to the orginal manufacturer's firmware.

Also, you might want to switch the cable or port.  Might as well perform all the typical neworking troubleshooting to make sure its not something simple.

EandVTat3

I'm an experienced telecomm engineer, so unfortunately these suggestions didn't help, as I'd done all the standard troubleshooting checks before posting.

I've multiple "modern" devices connected (print server, WAP, netbook, laptop, desktop, etc.) all w/o any issues til the PRO-HD.

Looks like a trip back to Best Buy to swap out the defective Slingbox, as the call center tech couldn't explain the reversion to a vanilla MAC address, either.

eferz Expert

Yeah, that "MAC address" is obviously fake.  "12:34:56:78:00:01"  lol, I don't know of any registered Vendor ID of "123456".

EandVTat3

Seems to work OK directly connected to the FiOS router as though in a DMZ (OK by me, as that's what I'd planned anyway, but you cannot configure connecting devices without their being in the same Class C per the call center tech in response to my guess at that from the sketchy documentation.  It seems to want to have its IP address in the default private IP space 192.168.1.xxx; trying other legit private IPs yields the aforementioned brick.

Sure would be nice to have an "I know WTF I"m doing" option.

eferz Expert

EandVTat3 wrote:

Seems to work OK directly connected to the FiOS router as though in a DMZ (OK by me, as that's what I'd planned anyway, but you cannot configure connecting devices without their being in the same Class C per the call center tech in response to my guess at that from the sketchy documentation.  It seems to want to have its IP address in the default private IP space 192.168.1.xxx; trying other legit private IPs yields the aforementioned brick.

Sure would be nice to have an "I know WTF I"m doing" option.

Nah, it doesn't "need" to be in any "default address" space.  There is no such thing.  It just needs to be on the same subnet as the DHCP server.  Mine is, and always has been in the "10.x.x.x" but subnet mask isn't the default "Class A" either.  Of course, the first time setup the Slingbox needs to be on the same subnet as the computer that is configuring it.

Anyways, once it has a DHCP address, you can always configure a static IP address.

mjrogers99

Me too.  Had a problem where I setup a DHCP reservation for the slingbox.  Could not figure out why it wasn't getting the correct ip.  Then I looked in my DHCP leases and look at the mac it has listed.  It is like it prepended 12345678.... to the front of the real mac.

2011-05-13_161544.png