54 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2010 12:04 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Dreambox DM8000 coloured buttons without function

Guido11 Newbie

Hey!

Is it possible to get a full functioning remote control for my Dreambox DM8000 HD?

The general Dreambox RC works but the coloured buttons are without function though still very important while navigating throught the menues.

Plus they are used to switch audio channels etc.

The button above the blue one is also used to show recorded media. (this function is taken by the "audio" button on the left side...)

It would be really nice to get a complete remote control.

The RC for the Iphone is also not correct.

Thanks for your help.

T.aurus

• Re: Dreambox DM8000 coloured buttons without function
            Guido11 Newbie

Hi Alan!

Thanks for the quick response. I tried this remote control yesterday already.

The "exit" button worked once and thereafter not anymore so I was not able to exit the menues.

So I finally deinstalled the control again...

I  point that I do not understand is the following:

Why does someone create a RC for some Dreambox models without programming all of the buttons that are actually on the real RC.

And this is the case with all Dreambox RCs available for the slingbox. I mean ALL of them are missing the function of the coloured buttons!

It must be an issue of a few minutes to programme these properly, I think.

Is this possible or do I have to cope with this situation somehow?

Thanks again.

Guido11

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

The "exit" button worked once and thereafter not anymore so I was not able to exit the menues.

That points to a problem with your system, if it worked once then the code must be correct.  Although why it should happen only with one button I am not sure.

I  point that I do not understand is the following:

Why does someone create a RC for some Dreambox models without programming all of the buttons that are actually on the real RC.

And this is the case with all Dreambox RCs available for the slingbox. I mean ALL of them are missing the function of the coloured buttons!

It must be an issue of a few minutes to programme these properly, I think.

No, the Colour buttons are definately there.  I am going to hazard a guess you are using the MAC version of Slingplayer ?   Sling stopped updating that program some time ago so it missed the upgrade that implemented color buttons on the basic remote 'skin' for the PC version and for the Web-based player.   So in your case the Colour buttons are mapped to Custom 22, 23, 24 & 25, which you get by tappping on the Menu button on the virtual remote.  Or you can use the web-based player where the colour buttons should be displayed ?

As to the Exit problem, have a try with these BIN files that use a slightly different setup.  As before put them in the \SBAV\ folder and re-run the video setup but use S2011 as the Alternative code.

Cheers

Al

Guido11 Newbie

Hi Alan!
                    Thanks again for your quick response.

I use a Windows XP system and tried to install your S2011_RV which did not work at all (no response to any button).

So I installed the V2010_RV.bin again just to recheck what happened yesterday. Every button seem to work exept for the EXIT button.

To be honest, now I am not sure anymore if it really worked once, yesterday...

Anyway I also tried the "X" or the EXIT from the dropdown menue. No positive effect.

(By the way the DM8000 received a signal because I could see a hand on the screen, which only shows up when hitting the wrong key.)

I  think I caused a misunderstanding.

Yes, on the original dreambox remote "skin" all coloured button are there but they have no function.

Plus 3 buttons DREAM, MENUE and HELP all enter the main menue of the Dreambox.

On the custom (black) remote everything except the EXIT button seems to work fine.

If I had a wish I would wish for the original Dreambox "Skin" with just the 4 coloured keys working.

Is this possible?

Thanks again.

Guido

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

I use a Windows XP system and tried to install your S2011_RV which did not work at all (no response to any button).

So I installed the V2010_RV.bin again just to recheck what happened yesterday. Every button seem to work exept for the EXIT button.

OK, that was on old working file that I built which in thoery sends the same codes but obviously doesn't work.  I'll consign it to the bin.

Anyway I also tried the "X" or the EXIT from the dropdown menue. No positive effect.

(By the way the DM8000 received a signal because I could see a hand on the screen, which only shows up when hitting the wrong key.)

OK, we can work on that.

Yes, on the original dreambox remote "skin" all coloured button are there but they have no function.

Plus 3 buttons DREAM, MENUE and HELP all enter the main menue of the Dreambox.

On the custom (black) remote everything except the EXIT button seems to work fine.

OK, the original remote is down to SlingMedia so nothing i can do about that.  In fact, as I recall, that was the main reason for building the Custom Remote in the fiirst place.

If I had a wish I would wish for the original Dreambox "Skin" with just the 4 coloured keys working.

Is this possible?

Funny you should say that.  Two weeks ago it would have been a resounding 'No', but following some superb work by 'BrandonC' and 'eferz' over at the PlaceShifting Enthusiasts forum, I think I can help.   Give me a couple of hours to built a test remoter and I'll come back,.

Cheers

Al

Guido11 Newbie

Thanks very much for your help, Alan.

That´s very nice, indeed!!!!

Cheers

Guido

alanrichey42 Master

Don't thank me yet, this is all experimental.   (BTW, I know why the Exit button is not working so if this all fails I can give you a basic remote that works.

Try the attached file.   As before, put it in the \SBAV\ folder and rerun the Video setup using S1206 as the Custom/Alternative code.

(I am assuming you have a US Slingbox, if not let me know and I will give you the RV file instead.)

If it works OK, then please list ALL the buttons that are not working as you expected.

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, attached wrong file.  Just realised by reading back that you a non US Slingbox.  Use this one and S1237 as the code.

Guido11 Newbie

Hi Alan!

This RC works! Also the EXIT Button.

But a few buttons have a wrong function. Please see the attached file for details.

One important point is that I enter the radio menue (on the custom RC) with the rec button.

And with the custom one I have no chance to exit.

On the original one there are 3 more keys (TV, RADIO, TEXT) on the bottom.

With the TV button I normally exit the radio menue and change to TV menue and vice versa)

But these keys are missing on the custom RC.

Thanks again for the effort you put in it!!

Cheers

Guido

P.S.: Please let me know if or if not the original Dreambox "skin" RC becomes available.

alanrichey42 Master

That S1237 one should have displayed the correct skin.   Do I understand from your reply that it still showed the basic black remote ?

If so, try tapping on the Menu button at the top and see if it shows multiple remotes available and one of them is Dreambox.

Also I forgot to mention that you should have used 'Dream Multimedia' as the Manufacturer and 'Other' as the model, try that as well.

Guido11 Newbie

Hi Alan!
                                                Yes, is was the black remote.

And there was just one remote in the menue (the basic one) with the features that I discribed before.

When I install it with  'Dream Multimedia' as the Manufacturer and 'Other' as the model (using the S1237 Code) I do not see any difference to the "original" Dreambox remote. (None of the coloured buttons is working). All keys have the same function as the original one.

Anything else I can try?

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

When I install it with  'Dream Multimedia' as the Manufacturer and 'Other' as the model (using the S1237 Code) I do not see any difference to the "original" Dreambox remote. (None of the coloured buttons is working). All keys have the same function as the original one.

Anything else I can try?

Are you REALLY sure that the S1237_RV.BIN file was in your \SBAV\ folder?  If the setup didn't see it there then it would revert to the built-in one, and as you say the colour buttons don't work.

Let's try this in stages.  I've attached a V2010 file which will display the black remote but hopefully all working.  Let's get that right before we move to the 'skinned' version,

So put this file in your \SBAV\ folder and run the video setup using 'Other' for manufacturer and V2010 for the code.

Guido11 Newbie

It works!    It works!     It works now!        

I reinstalled the S1237_RV.BIN file again.

And now everything including the "Dreambox Skin" works fine. All coloured buttons are there and working.

I believe I entered a wrong code (maybe I did not write S as a capital or so, dunno).

Anyway I am really glad.

I only item that does not work is the RADIO button: It obviously has a function (a hand shows up after pressing the key) but I don´t know which one.

Recording starts with the "<" key. But that is good this way.

I really don´t dare to ask again if you could change this still...

Alan you did a reeeeeeaally great job with your collegues!!!!

Thanks very much!

Many greetings from Bremen /Germany

Guido

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

It works!    It works!     It works now!        

I only item that does not work is the RADIO button: It obviously has a function (a hand shows up after pressing the key) but I don´t know which one.

Recording starts with the "<" key. But that is good this way.

I really don´t dare to ask again if you could change this still...

Good.   But we still need to sort out the little 'niggles'.

First though, a few questions:

1.  On the remote I see there is a button at the top marked 'Dream' but I can find no mention of it in any of the codes I have. What does it do ?

2.  There is also a 'TV' button that Sling appear to have disabled ?   What does that do ?

3.  The Radio button appears to be matched with the Record function on the skin.   On the real remote how does that work in practice with 2 functions defined on one button ?   Same question about the colour buttons as well, when do they operate as colours and when do they operate as DVR controls ?

4.  It's odd that the '<' starts recording, as I definately mapped the Record function to the Radio button. What does the '>' button do ?

Cheers

Al

Guido11 Newbie

I sent you a picture of my DM8000 HD remote which is nearly the same as the standard remote that Sling Media uses.

There is just one row added on the bottom so there are no double functions of the PVR/timeshift controls.

But to answer your questions:

1. The remote can be programmed as a TV remote by holding the SETUP button for 3 seconds and entering a TV remote code.

Having done that one can switch from TV mode (using it as a TV set control) to Dream Mode (the normal Dreambox control).

2. The TV button does not make any sense for slingbox for obvious reasons.

3. That I do not know exactly as my remote is slightly different. (But the way you programmed the recording feature using the "<" is o.k.)

I also added a list with all functions of the DM 8000 remote that are not self-explanatory or different from the SlingMedia standard Dreambox remote.

But again, the remote that you created is great... Just the radio feature is missing.

Hope this helped!

Cheers

Guido

alanrichey42 Master

Thanks, good information, makes more sense now.

First the Radio button, quickest way to figure this out is can you re-install the attached V2010 BIN file and get the black remote.  Then press every key, including all the custom keys, and tell me which, if any, trigger the Radio function.

Then we can continue with another plan

Later:  This time with the attachment

Guido11 Newbie

I am afraid none of the keys enter the Radio menue.

I installed the V2010_RV.bin as both satellite and then standalone device.

A strange thing I noticed was when I tried to install the Dreambox 7020 and others from SlingMedia again.

Now the coloured bottons are there, too. That was not the case before you sent me the 1237_RV.bin file.

Is there a cache or something?

Cheers

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

I am afraid none of the keys enter the Radio menue.

Pity.

A strange thing I noticed was when I tried to install the Dreambox 7020 and others from SlingMedia again.

Now the coloured bottons are there, too. That was not the case before you sent me the 1237_RV.bin file.

Is there a cache or something.

No idea.  I'm afraid the exact way that Sling deals with this sort of thing is still a mystery to me.  I am just learning as I go along, tinkering around the edges.

Actually I just experienced a similar problem.   I think the solution is to 'Reset' the connection when you start the video setup.  That way all the cached data gets removed.

Just so you know what I do, as I don't have access to your remote I install the device on my Logitech Harmony Universal Remote and use that to mimic the remote while I learn them.   Up to now I have assumed that the 8000 was the same as rest of the Dreamboxes, so I have been using the standard codes.  Now you have shown me the Remote is different, I have found that the 8000 entry on the Logitech database has more codes, including a dedicated Radio one.  The bad news is that it seems to be corrupt and I cannot download it.  I have a 'ticket' in with Logitch asking why,  Once I can install it we can move on.

While we wait for Logitech, I have another experiment to try

I have attached a revised BIN file, so install that (remember to reset).

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\Remote  (You may have to set the Options > View to show hidden files).   Overwrite the Dreambox.spr file with the attached one.  Hopefully it will show a new skin with the extra row of buttons.   If it does, how many of the buttons work/don't work ?

eferz Expert

Guido11 wrote:

A strange thing I noticed was when I tried to install the Dreambox 7020 and others from SlingMedia again. Now the coloured bottons are there, too. That was not the case before you sent me the 1237_RV.bin file. Is there a cache or something?

alanrichey42 wrote:

No idea.  I'm afraid the exact way that Sling deals with this sort of thing is still a mystery to me.  I am just learning as I go along, tinkering around the edges.

The Slingbox has four important files which concludes the actual operation of the virtual remote;

1. Configuration (.xml)
                                                                                2. Remote Skin (.spr)
                                                                                3. IR device updates (.bin)
                                                                                4. Keymap (.xml)

If any of these files were unable to be downloaded during the Setup Assistant then they will default to a generic version.  Most likely, when Guido installed your S1206_PL.bin file, it also requeued the download of the DreamBox.idmap.box2.xml keymap file.

alanrichey42 Master

eferz wrote:

The Slingbox has four important files which concludes the actual operation of the virtual remote;
                                                                                    1. Configuration (.xml)
                                                                                    2. Remote Skin (.spr)
                                                                                    3. IR device updates (.bin)
                                                                                    4. Keymap (.xml)

If any of these files were unable to be downloaded during the Setup Assistant then they will default to a generic version.  Most likely, when Guido installed your S1206_PL.bin file, it also requeued the download of the DreamBox.idmap.box2.xml keymap file.

I don't think it was a failure to download, I think what happens if you don't 'Reset' the connection when you run Video Setup, then it assumes some things haven't changed so doesn't update the files properly.

Guido11 Newbie

Hi Alan!

Great !!!

I installed the new skin + new S1237_RV.bin as you said.

The setup was done (without a reset) Satellite Receiver -> Dream Multimedia -> Other -> Custom.

And the new skin plus extra row appears on the screen!

But still some keys are not working as they should:

-The VOLUME KEYS seem to have no function (no response could be seen on the screen).

Apart from that all keys above the coloured ones have EXACTLY the functions as on the real remote !!

-RED button: normally it is only used while navigating through channel menues. On the vitual one it does exactly what he should (when in menues).

If one is just watching TV it normally has no function. On the vitual one it starts recording (which is ok).

-YELLOW button: normally used to change audio tracks (exactly the function of the AUDIO key on the old S1237_RV.bin). On the vitual one it starts timeshift (which normally just starts when pressing the PLAY/PAUSE key)

- PLAY / >> / << / STOP / REC : Seem to have a function on the virtual one (grey hand shows up) but no effect can be seen. Neither when watching a recorded movie nor while using Timeshift.

RADIO,  TV and TEXT buttons: Work exactly as they should !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I also installed the two files on a Win 7 system.

The location of the dreambox.spr is different here. The path is as follows:

C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remote

Cheers

Guido

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

-The VOLUME KEYS seem to have no function (no response could be seen on the screen).

Actually the Volume keys ahould work on Slingplayer not on the Dreambox ?

-RED button: normally it is only used while navigating through channel menues. On the vitual one it does exactly what he should (when in menues).  If one is just watching TV it normally has no function. On the vitual one it starts recording (which is ok).

OK, I will leave that one :-)

-YELLOW button: normally used to change audio tracks (exactly the function of the AUDIO key on the old S1237_RV.bin). On the vitual one it starts timeshift (which normally just starts when pressing the PLAY/PAUSE key)

OK, I have switched that one from the 'yellow' to the audio function.

- PLAY / >> / << / STOP / REC : Seem to have a function on the virtual one (grey hand shows up) but no effect can be seen. Neither when watching a recorded movie nor while using Timeshift.

Pity.  But they were the buttons I added so I must be missing something.   Not surprising as I have no iea what I am doing    I've tried something else, so let's see if that improves anything.  But be reassured I CAN figure this out as long as you are patient !

RADIO,  TV and TEXT buttons: Work exactly as they should !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news

By the way I also installed the two files on a Win 7 system.

The location of the dreambox.spr is different here. The path is as follows:

C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remote

Sorry, I thought you were using WINXP.   BTW, if you want the same remote to appear in the Web based player then you have to replace the Dreambox.spr at C:\Users\..<User>..\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote as well.

Right, new copies attached.  Should fix the Yellow button and maybe the Play/.../Rec ?  (If nothing apparently changes try resetting the connection during the video setup)

Cheers

Al

Guido11 Newbie

Here I go again.

Regarding the volume keys you are absolutely right. It just changes the volume in Slingplayer. I did not notice that.

The Yellow Button has now the right function while watching TV but lost the "Yellow button" function while navigating through the menues.

And there is still no change regarding the functions of the PLAY >> << REC and STOP buttons.

I think some buttons (Red and Yellow) have a double function which distinguishes the function watching TV from navigating through menues.

P.S.: My most importand Pc is a Xp notebook. I just mentioned the WIN7 because I was curious if it worked there as well. That´s why I tried it on the desktop PC as well.

So long.

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

The Yellow Button has now the right function while watching TV but lost the "Yellow button" function while navigating through the menu

OK, not sure what we can do here.  Basically I can only set it to send one code, as in the real remote.  Which is better ?  This one or the previous one ?

And there is still no change regarding the functions of the PLAY >> << REC and STOP buttons.

Not sure what I am doing here, but I experimented with the PLAY button.   Does this work ?

Al

Guido11 Newbie

No change, yet.

Guido11 wrote:

The Yellow Button has now the right function while watching TV but lost the "Yellow button" function while navigating through the menu

OK, not sure what we can do here.  Basically I can only set it to send one code, as in the real remote.  Which is better ?  This one or the previous one ?

- If I had to decide I would drop the "Help" button "(which does nothing than explaining the remote control functions. That could all be found in the manual) and put the AUDIO button here. As on the old Dreambox remote. So the YELLOW button can stay the "YELLOW button".

- For the REC button: I would give it the same function as the RED button (I would never touch it while navigation through menues anyway) and it starts recording while watching TV as it should.

For the PLAY button: It should have the same function (Start Pause Timeshift) as the YELLOW button before, if you remember. So that should be ok.

The STOP / >> / <<      ???       I don´t know.

If I recall that correctly the first S1237_RV.bin remote had the right functions on the coloured keys.

So I tried to reinstall it again but even with a reset I still get the remote with the additional row. whichis still odd. There must be a cache somewhere.

Hope that helps...

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

- If I had to decide I would drop the "Help" button "(which does nothing than explaining the remote control functions. That could all be found in the manual) and put the AUDIO button here. As on the old Dreambox remote. So the YELLOW button can stay the "YELLOW button".

Hope that helps...

Not really     I am begining to drown here.   Doing all this long-distance is very difficult and I feel I am losing control.  I think we have to accept it is going to take a long time and we need to do it one thing at a time.  So this set of files just resets the Yellow back to Yellow.

If I recall that correctly the first S1237_RV.bin remote had the right functions on the coloured keys.

So I tried to reinstall it again but even with a reset I still get the remote with the additional row. whichis still odd. There must be a cache somewhere.

If you want to reset back to the original remote simply delete the Dreambox.spr file.

But you didn't answer if the 'Play/Pause' worked in that latest file ?  Or in this one ?

Guido11 Newbie

Yeah I know it takes long to get this going.

I just installed the new files on Win 7 and Xp. On both same results:

Yellow is still entering the audio menue and has no function as Yellow button.

PLAY STOP << REC >> no function at all anymore. Before I could see a response (grey Hand on TV screen) but no function.

Now they are just highlit. But nothing happens when clicked on. Not even a change of colour as usual.

Sorry to bother you with that for so long.

Anyway I still think we are really close...

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry for the delay, I went to the gym/swimming pool to get rid of my frustration

To be honest I really don't know where to go from here.  I have done everything I can see to make the Play..Rec buttons work but of course while I can't install it on my Harmony I still don't know if the Dreambox 8000 uses a seperate set of codes to the rest of the family.    What is frustrating is that I used an IDENTICAL method on the Play..Rec buttons to the one I did for the Radio/TV/Text buttons and they work perfectly.

And as for the Yellow button, I despair   That latest BIN file put the old code back so it makes no sense that nothing changed.

Just try this one as I KNOW that does not have the audio function mapped anywhere.  If there is no change there must be a 'cache' problem, so delete the old BIN completely, put the new BIN in.  Run the videio setup and pick something totally different, doesn't matter what it is, just to clear the system, then run the setup again for S1237.

Guido11 Newbie

No here are no changes at all. The Yellow button has still the audio feunction. The Play/Pause family has no functions at all. (Highlit as before).

I even deinstalled the whole Slingplayer. and picked a Grundig remote. No effect... :/

The codes for the play/pause family must definitely be different from the normal controls on other Dreamboxes.

They are mainly used as controls for the timeshift feature but can also control the video playback, The video playback solely can also be controled by the coloured buttons (except for the STOP feature).

By the way I also installed the last S1237_RV.bin (not this one here which should have the audio feature missing) on my wifes XP notebook that never saw the Slingplayer before. And the the YELLOW button does not have the YELLOW feature either (it´s got the audio feature).

So I assume at least this is not a cache problem.

P.S.: Just noticed that the TV button (on top nerxt the the Dream one) highlights when moving above it with the mouse... That wasn´t the case before.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I have had a bit of a breakthrough.   I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I used the special Dreambox.spr file I built with the extra buttons, but built a special S1237 BIN file that had the codes from my Tivo, rather than your codes.

And that proved that the Play...Rec buttons are working as I expected as they operated my Tivo perfectly.   So at least we know I have that design aspect rightt, the Dreambox.spr with the extra buttons is correct and the problem lies in the actual codes we are transmitting.  Although they are the ones used by the DM 500/600/700/800 and even the DM 7000 they are apparently not correct for your DM 8000.   And at this stage I have no way of finding them out.

Actually, come to think of it there is .   If I installed the standard Dreambox on my Slingbox I could learn the codes from my IR Blaster.   I know the colour buttons didn't work properly, which was what started this thread, but did you get it to operate the Play...Rec fuinctions OK ?  If so, how can I reproduce it.

Guido11 Newbie

Actually, come to think of it there is .   If I installed the standard Dreambox on my Slingbox I could learn the codes from my IR Blaster.   I know the colour buttons didn't work properly, which was what started this thread, but did you get it to operate the Play...Rec fuinctions OK ?  If so, how can I reproduce it.

As I said before. I am able to contol a movie ( and just a recorded movie using the coloured buttons. (A small menue pops up indication that the coloured buttons do this job).

BUT I doubt the signal is the same as the one generated by the PLAY PAUSE  etc. family as it does not control the timeshift feature at all.

But again the timeshift Play pause etc. never worked on the virtual remote.

Hope you get me.

When I installed Slingplayer on my wifes notebook (with the dream remote that comes from Slingmedia) I noticed that now all colour buttons are working.

Plus the AUDIO button has now the help feature on it. So I guess someone is working on it now...

This case gets stranger every day...

alanrichey42 Master

Guido11 wrote:

As I said before. I am able to contol a movie ( and just a recorded movie using the coloured buttons. (A small menue pops up indication that the coloured buttons do this job). BUT I doubt the signal is the same as the one generated by the PLAY PAUSE  etc. family as it does not control the timeshift feature at all. But again the timeshift Play pause etc. never worked on the virtual remote.

Hope you get me.

Pity, doesn't help us then.

When I installed Slingplayer on my wifes notebook (with the dream remote that comes from Slingmedia) I noticed that now all colour buttons are working. Plus the AUDIO button has now the help feature on it. So I guess someone is working on it now...

This case gets stranger every day...

Maybe someone from Slingmedia is actually reading this and realised they had made a mistake on the colour buttons ?   They never tell me anything so it's anyone's guess.

Well, we are back at square one now.  I don't think there is much else I can do.   I will have to put the revised Dreambox.SPR file on the back burner until I can find out the codes for the Play....Rec buttons.   Don't forget to delete it off your PC.

I guess the official Remote you are now getting is actually the best one we have ?   It solves your original problem.

Al

Guido11 Newbie

I guess the official Remote you are now getting is actually the best one we have ?   It solves your original problem.

Al

Yeah I think so, too. The coloured buttons work now and you were a great help, Alan.

If one day you happen to find the codes for the addional keys, please let me know...

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guido

alanrichey42 Master

I should be thanking you.  At least with your help I now know how to design my own remote skin and adapt it for use with any device.    I couldn't do that a few days ago :-)   So it wasn't a wasted journey.

If Logitech ever fix the DM8000 entry and I figure out the codes I promise I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Al

eferz Expert

If Guido has an appropriate Slingbox model, he could try to use the (http://betaremotes.slingbox.com/) site to learn the codes of the missing keys.

Since they're stored in the UEI Learned format once they are learned, I can teach you how to extract them.  You can then import them into IR.exe to get the OBC and protocl information.

Using the site is a little tricky though, as I've found that certain remotes need to either be right up against the Slingbox or held a few inches away.  But, with a little experimentation and a lot of practice it does work.

alanrichey42 Master

Sounds like a plan     Guido, can you give it a try ?   We would need the LRZ file it produces.

eferz Expert

Guido, if you do this here's some tips that I've learned while doing the process myself.

1. Use the "DVD" profile, as its the one with the least amount of buttons necessary for the wizard to complete; 14 all together.  If you need more then you can always click on a greyed out button at the end of the process to enable it.

2.  You do not need to teach the exact button of the physical remote to the virtual remote.  It doesn't care which IR function that you pair with which virtual button.  However, for Alan's sake make sure you write down which virtual button is paired with which physcial funtion.

3.  You have about 5 seconds for it to "see" a signal otherwise it will timeout.  This is why its a good idea to perform it with a laptop next to the Slingbox.  However once it sees the signal it can take another 5-10 seconds to learn the code.  Your mouse pointer will change once the Slingbox sees the signal., should be a spinning circle or the hourglass symbol.

4.  There will be an embossed arrow on the bottom left-hand corner of the Slingbox that will point at the "general" area that you need to point the remote.  Like I said earlier some of them need to be pressed up against the Slingbox some need  to be a few inches away.  Sometimes you need to angle it just a bit.  What I did was queue the learn process then held the button down and sligtly move the remote until I see the mouse change.  Once you see it change then you know that you have the right distance / angle placemement.

5. Make sure that once you're finish, that you test each button.  The learning process isn't always 100%, so its a good idea to reconfim the learned functions.  At the end it gives you an option to test each button, go through the process of testing it.  It a button files, mark it as "no" when it asks if it worked.  This will flag the button as yellow.  Once you've finish testing all the buttons then you can click "(re)program" and it will only retrain the buttons which were marked yellow.

6.  Once your finished it will upload the remote profile into your SLingbox, you'll need to go back to the Betaremote site again to download the .lrz file.  Don't worry if it doesn't show up as soon as you connect, as I noticed it takes a bit to read the file from the internet before showing up on the webpage.

Guido11 Newbie

Hey!

I have to start work again tomorrow. So I don´t have time to look at it until Saturday, I think.

But I will try to understand how it works.

I keep you up date how things are going...

Cheers

Later:

Just had a glimbs at the betaremotesite. When I try to get started and click "agree and install" I get the following message:

"The PC plugin version you are attempting  to install (undefined) was not found on this server"...

What can I do?

eferz Expert

Guido11 wrote:

Just had a glimbs at the betaremotesite. When I try to get started and click "agree and install" I get the following message:

"The PC plugin version you are attempting  to install (undefined) was not found on this server"...

What can I do?

They moved some files around without fixing their scripts, so you'll get that error if you don't already have web slingplayer plug-in installed.  Head over to http://watch.slingbox.com and download the plug-in from that site.  Once you have it installed, then you can go back to the http://betaremotes.slingbox.com website without that error.

Guido11 Newbie

Ok. Thanks. I will get back to you if other questions come up.

Guido11 Newbie

I am done with the virtual one.

But just the missing/malfunctioning keys. Hope that´s ok.

Cheers

Guido

eferz Expert

Alrighty, Alan.  I would recommend in deleting or renaming your current the webslingplayer log file, so you can get a fresh one as you'll probably be interested in the information contained in it.  Go ahead and download and import the "Guido_DM8000_Missing_keys.lrz" file into your Sling Account profile via Betaremotes.  Give it about 2 to 3 minutes as sometimes it takes a while to show up if it actually works.

Don't worry if it doesn't though, instead go ahead and close the webpage and open the webslingplayer logfile.  Look for the following pattern "learntremote", you'll probably come upon a URL something like this "/irservices/rest/v1/learntremote/03de0c6f-b508-43f9-b7ef-fb1d3ff70d48".  You can either use that URL the see the XML code on the respective webpage or you can scroll down in the logfile where you'll see his UEI learned codes.  In my opinion, the webpage in Firefox is much easier to understand.

The next step is to open up IR.exe.  You'll need to select a remote type that has a learning capability like the "URC-7550 Black 5" which will open the "Learned Signals" tab.  This is where you "Add", Select appropriate Device and Key, then copy the text inside the quotes of the "command=" from the ircodes into the databox.  You'll have to then insert a space after each two characters, otherwise it will assume it is one giant number and error out.

For example,

<learntremotekey code="75" name="Green" command="4B103700D2090069A05C0069196C00690578006904240069039C0069028B00690247006901BF0069017B09624757880092637255731624757880" dataLength="58" isTested="true ">

will need to look like

4B 10 37 00 D2 09 00 69 A0 5C 00 69 19 6C 00 69 05 78 00 69 04 24 00 69 03 9C 00 69 02 8B 00 69 02 47 00 69 01 BF 00 69 01 7B 09 62 47 57 88 00 92 63 72 55 73 16 24 75 78 80

and when imported into IR.exe it will look like this

# Protocol Device Sub-Device OBC Hex Cmd EFC Misc
                                                                                                                                                                            1 XMP-R 26 49 65 41 8
                                                                                                                                                                                alanrichey42 Master

Nicely done, congratulations for cracking that.  It will make a VERY useful tool for our armoury.     Although it does beg the question as to why we should have to go these extraordinary lengths to work this out when Sling have all the information at their fingertips.

Just for interest, the remote never appeared for me, hence my belief that nothing was happening.

So, the good news, the keys all code out correctly.

The bad news, it just confirmed I had the right codes all along.   All 4 colour buttons and the Play...Rec buttons had the right codes.

So I am not sure what we can do yet.   I suppose the first thing for Guido to do is install the attached BIN file for the black basic remote and tell us if the colour buttons and Play...Rec buttons work as they are supposed to. 

Al