1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 24, 2010 10:36 AM by eferz RSS

Slingplayer can't find slingbox on network

Smaxor5

Hi, I have tried literally everything to get this thing recognized by the slingplayer to no avail.  I turned off all of my firewalls in both my router and my computer and still nothing.  The lights are both solid on the slingbox which leads me to believe it might be broken.  I even tried sharing my internet through my laptops LAN port and connecting it directly and it just says connected to "unidentified network"  (ie it cant recognize that its a slingbox.....broken?).  Does it matter that I dont have everything connected to my cable box?  Theoretically I thought it shouldnt matter but maybe it does?  This is an original slingbox model SB100-100.  My router is a Linksys WRT54GS.  Any help would be tremendous even if it is help on getting it repaired although considering that it costs like $150 for slingbox to "virtually setup" a slingbox i can only imagine what it costs to repair.

• Re: Slingplayer can't find slingbox on network
          eferz Expert

Smaxor5 wrote:

Hi, I have tried literally everything to get this thing recognized by the slingplayer to no avail.  I turned off all of my firewalls in both my router and my computer and still nothing.  The lights are both solid on the slingbox which leads me to believe it might be broken.

If its the network and power lights are solid then that's actually a good sign.  The solid power light means its getting power.  The solid network light means it has an IP address.

Smaxor5 wrote:

I even tried sharing my internet through my laptops LAN port and connecting it directly and it just says connected to "unidentified network"  (ie it cant recognize that its a slingbox.....broken?).

You'll get no where fast that way.  If the Slingbox has an network configuration that's different than that of your laptop then they won't be able to communicate with each other.  You'd need a router between the two in order to allow network devices that are logically disjoined to communicate with each other.  Hence the "unidentified network"

Does it matter that I dont have everything connected to my cable box? 

No.

Theoretically I thought it shouldnt matter but maybe it does?

Still nope.

This is an original slingbox model SB100-100.  My router is a Linksys WRT54GS.  Any help would be tremendous even if it is help on getting it repaired although considering that it costs like $150 for slingbox to "virtually setup" a slingbox i can only imagine what it costs to repair.

I would recommend performing a factory reset on your Slingbox as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038).  It sounds like your Slingbox has an IP address, but its probable the IP address doesn't conform to your current network configuration.  Which could explain why it cannot connect.