4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2011 9:53 AM by yfreiberger RSS

Fluctuating streaming speeds (slow)

EasyRyder

Hi just moved to Dubai. Have set up my sling box pro at my girlfriends house in the UK. Shes got the fastest o2 package and last night did a line check on speedtest.net and confirmed shes getting an upload rate of over 1.5mb. The Ethernet cable is 20m from box to modem (but i believe a long ethernet cable won't degrade performance)

Here in Dubai i'm with Etisalat and doing the same test i constantly get 8mb d/l speeds.

My streaming rate here is fluctuating between 200kbps to 900kbps. Usually about 350-400kbps.

Any idea on how to improve and get an improved stream?

When i was living in the UK, i had a constant u/l of 0.9mb and my d/l stream when abroad (Greece, Holland) was a solid 850+kbps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Fluctuating streaming speeds (slow)
          eferz Expert

EasyRyder wrote:

Any idea on how to improve and get an improved stream?

You could order a point to point network connection between your home in Dubai into your girlfriend's home in UK.  Then you'll bypass whatever high latency, low bandwith hops that you might currently be experiencing.  It might be a little expensive though.

The problem with speed test sites and ISP speeds is that they're always advertised as burst speeds.  It's also usually tested with a single hop away.  However, the Slingbox and Slingplayer require constant speed, and in your case may have to transverse several hops in order to get to its destination.

EasyRyder

Thanks Eferz,

so thats the only real solution? What kind of improvement could i expect and how much roughly would i be looking at? Is it difficult to set up?

eferz Expert

EasyRyder wrote:

so thats the only real solution?

I wouldn't say its the only solution.  It's the only one that I know of which is proven.  As I understand some people have been able to bypass some of these issues with a proxy or VPN service.  I just don't have enough information on how this is accomplished.

What kind of improvement could i expect and how much roughly would i be looking at?

Not sure, as I understand most service providers charges are based on distance and speed requirements.  As I understand your mileage will very upon how much you're willing to spend.

Is it difficult to set up?

Nope, everything is handled by service provider.

yfreiberger Newbie

I just saw this - old post so it may not be relevant. However, I had a similar issue with the streaming speed from the US to Israel - had a great upload and download but the connection was around 2mbps (not that it's that bad). I signed up to a proxy service that creates a more direct link and with much lower latency and now get 5-8mbps on my sligbox HD which is an amazing improvement. The company is called Trusted Proxies, they have servers all over hte world - I happen to be using one in the UK with incredible results...