22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2010 11:12 PM by eferz RSS

Unable to locate Slingbox on network

bkjsv

I previously set up my box to explore its functionality in my basement where access to the network was simple.  After verifying that operation, I reassembled the system in a room with my computer.  To make the connection to the network I inserted a Buffalo AirStation router as a switch hub between my computer and my Netgear wireless router.  The network works fine for my computer, but I can't find my Slingbox.  How do I resolve this?

Brian

• Re: Unable to locate Slingbox on network
          eferz Expert

It sounds like you're using a multiple router configuration.  I hope this article will be able to help you configure it (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005033.html).

bkjsv

The article referenced previously wasvery informative to someone who has never done network configuration work before, but, as always in the PC world, there is never the "exact" situation as described and there are always details that are never disclosed.  I have slogged through the configuration screens and attempted to enter the correct information, but my Slingbox is still missing in ether space.  Setting up port forwarding on the Netgear WNR2000 was pretty straight forward, until it came to setting up the secondary router.  I believe that to forward the port through the second router, I have to reference the IP address of the Slingbox.  But, it appears that the Slingbox does not have an IP address assigned to it.  The MAC address shows up on my settings page, but the IP address is blank.  I could find no instructions about how to manually set the IP address for the Slingbox, so now I have to ask for help.

eferz Expert

bkjsv wrote:

The article referenced previously wasvery informative to someone who has never done network configuration work before, but, as always in the PC world, there is never the "exact" situation as described and there are always details that are never disclosed.  I have slogged through the configuration screens and attempted to enter the correct information, but my Slingbox is still missing in ether space.

Setting up port forwarding on the Netgear WNR2000 was pretty straight forward, until it came to setting up the secondary router.  I believe that to forward the port through the second router, I have to reference the IP address of the Slingbox.  But, it appears that the Slingbox does not have an IP address assigned to it.  The MAC address shows up on my settings page, but the IP address is blank.  I could find no instructions about how to manually set the IP address for the Slingbox, so now I have to ask for help.

Actually this is how it should be port forward.

1. Inner router forwards both UDP and TCP port to the Slingbox's IP address
                  2. Outer router fowards both UDP and TCP port to the Inner Router's IP address.

Basically, you're relaying port forwarding rules from one device to another.  This is because in a private network with Network Address Translation (NAT), all the devices below the router share's the router's public IP address.

The Slingbox will get its IP address via DHCP.  DHCP needs to be enable in the inner router in order for the Slingbox to acquire an IP address.  You can provide a static IP address to the Slingbox during the Setup Assistant.  Once it has a static IP address, then you can shut of DHCP on the inner router.

bkjsv

My inner router has ports for 5 ethernet connections with one being connected to the outer router.  There are two devices connected to the inner router, a PC and the Slingbox. There is a information page for the clients connected to the inner router and it shows that there are two clients, a PC with both a MAC address and an IP address, and the Slingbox with a MAC address but the IP address is blank.  So I looked on the configuration page for the DHCP server of the inner router and finally noticing that there is more information below the bottom of the screen that has to be scrolled to be seen.  This is where the IP address can be manually assigned.  After assigning an IP address to the MAC that was indicated as the device without an IP address, I rechecked the client info page and there was still no IP address for the MAC that I had just assigned an address.  But on the DHCP server page the listed current clients shows that the IP address is manually assigned to the MAC.  But, when I try to connect to the Slingbox it is still missing.

eferz Expert

bkjsv wrote:

My inner router has ports for 5 ethernet connections with one being connected to the outer router.  There are two devices connected to the inner router, a PC and the Slingbox.

There is a information page for the clients connected to the inner router and it shows that there are two clients, a PC with both a MAC address and an IP address, and the Slingbox with a MAC address but the IP address is blank.  So I looked on the configuration page for the DHCP server of the inner router and finally noticing that there is more information below the bottom of the screen that has to be scrolled to be seen. 

This is where the IP address can be manually assigned.  After assigning an IP address to the MAC that was indicated as the device without an IP address, I rechecked the client info page and there was still no IP address for the MAC that I had just assigned an address.  But on the DHCP server page the listed current clients shows that the IP address is manually assigned to the MAC.  But, when I try to connect to the Slingbox it is still missing.

Gimme a sec, its hard to read one great big block of text.

bkjsv

I see that in video that is on the page indicated that the Slingbox must be reset if it is connected to a different router. This is what was the situation.  Thank you for your help.  Not being a network geek, I would never have found and and properly set all of the required settings without your help.

Brian