9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 7:12 AM by rorywass RSS

Slingcatcher not sold in US?

Brewcity

Hi, I just started looking into getting a Slingbox for my home because I want to be able to watch local TV from my hometown in my current city.  Mainly I want to be able to watch my home sports teams.  I was hoping to buy the PRO-HD with a Slingcatcher so I could watch it on my TV at home, but it appears the Slingcatcher is no longer for sale in the US?  Is this true?  If so, does anyone know why they discontinued it here?  Does Slingbox have a substitute for the Slingcatcher in the US?

Secondly, has anyone bought a Slingcatcher from overseas and used it successfully in the US?  I'd consider purchasing one from the UK or wherever if I could be confident it would work as expected.

Thirdly, if anyone has purchased/configured the Slingcatcher here in the US together with the PRO-HD, how does the picture look?  Is it really HD quality?  What requirements exist to make sure HD comes across to your TV?

Thanks so much.  Any feedback about this would be much appreciated.  Sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

Matt

• Re: Slingcatcher not sold in US?
          alanrichey42 Master

I don't think it's been officially announced (I guess someone will correct me if I am wrong) but I think we can safely assume the Slingcatcher has been discontinued.   So you only option might be E-Bay, although they are commanding quite a price premium there.

You can purchase a Slingcatcher overseas and use it in the USA.  You will need a plug adaptor of course, but the power supply is normally multi-voltage.  The Slingcatcher supports NTSC and PAL but you might find the Video resolution is set to PAL when you get it so you will need to go into the Settings to change it  (I have a UK Slingcatcher running in the USA with no problem).

Can't comment on the performance with a Pro-HD as I don't have one, I am still in the dark ages with Classics and Solos

bsheppard Newbie

I use the catcher (in the US) with the PRO HD in the UK and its amazing how better the colour and quality is versus the Classic. I am  not sure about the Solo slingbox. I have a 1.6meg upload speed. It's not HD as you need 3meg I think or more.

larrylozon

I am at a loss to understand why the SlingCatcher would be discontinued so abruptly.  I found another thread - see below - whereby the commentator states that slingcatcher functionality would be found in net connected TVs in the future.  OK - great - I have a new Samsung LED with the Samsung App access for Netflix, etc.  If Sling access is there, then great.  However, I don't understand why you would discontinue the Catcher prior to having this option substantially embedded in the marketplace. 

http://gdgt.com/discuss/hi-this-is-mrsling-slingmediaill-be-here-950/

Relevant thread excerpt

ethan55
              What happened to the Slingcatcher, been trying to get one but it has disappeared from retail stores, has it been discontinued?
              Jacobly
              I believe it has been discontinued.... but maybe MrSling will know for sure.
              MrSling
              We have stopped making and selling the SlingCatcher.
              ethan55
              Any new product that would do the slingcatcher function? How can I watch my slingbox on another tv without using my computer? Setting it up permanently on the tv through hdmi like the slingcatcher did?
              MrSling
              We believe that in the near future TVs will be equipped with any combination of Ethernet, Flash and other technologies. In other words, you may not need a hardware device in addition to the TV in order to receive video over a net connection.
                  eferz Expert

He's talking about the future native flash Slingplayer client.  This would allow the Sling Media to focus on programming the Slingplayer client, then let Adobe worry about hardware compatibility.

The problem with the SlingCatcher is that it was apparent from the beginning, that Sling just didn't have the developmental support to keep up with current technologies.  They probably discontinued the it, so that they didn't have to continue spending money on developing and supporting the platform.

rorywass

With the slingcatcher no longer availabe, can anyone suggest another suitable solution to stream from TV to TV?  I have a slingbox HD on one tv but need something for the other tv.  Are there any affordable HTPC's?  I dont want to spend more then $300 on this and I want a solution that will both Stream from my slingbox and play most file formats.

Brewcity

The Slingcatcher is still available, just not in the US.  I just bought one on eBay from the UK for around 225 USD.  

rorywass

Yes, I noticed but will there be support for this product in North America? I also read that for the usb most files must be converted to wmv, is that the case?

Maybe the "sling receiver" will replace it..

bsheppard Newbie

It should work fine in the US. They come shipped with ability to choose tv output according to your region (e.g. PAL and NTSC). You just need to get a US power adapter - nothing Radio Shack cant do. The USB part is ok for the catcher: it supports most media files but does not work with external hardirves (like a 250 gb etc) but an oridinary memory stick is fine. A small matter since I mainly use it to watch UK tv in the US. You can still get sling support for this product: it may no longer be sold in the US but you can call up for support (might need to call the UK number for free support fron initial set up!).