4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 8:44 PM by eferz RSS

New Laptop What is SlingBox

SaulDavis

Okay, I just bought a new laptop. It contains something to do with Slingbox. Nowhere is to be found the simplest statement of whether or not I have a working version of this or what it is doing there in my programs. I don't have a separate box, obviously. It is within the hours of operation, but they are not answering their telephone or e-mail. That is disgusting. So, is this all just an advertisement to get me to buy something, or is this a free service for watching tv on my computer via internet connection? You would think such a basic question would be answered at the first level of inquiry.

• Re: New Laptop What is SlingBox
          eferz Expert

A Slingbox is an interdimensional device that allows you to transmutate lead matter into gold.

SaulDavis

Ha-ha. You're not answering the most basic question. If Sling Media has files in my computer, is it installed or not? Does it require a purchase of something more, like an external sling box? I am not looking to hook it up to my tv which is not digital.

eferz Expert

I'm not actually sure what you have installed in your computer but a Slingbox is hardware.  And I'm not sure if Sling Media has any arrangement with your laptop manufacturer to give them away, but I had to pay for mine.

A Slingbox (hardware server) can take an audio-video signal and rebroadcast it on the network to watch on a Slingplayer (client software).   The Slingbox can accept a connection from just about any audio / video equipment; cable box, satellite receiver, digital video recrods, video cassette recorder, 8 track player.  As long as the device has compatible outputs (audio left & right, composite, S-Video, component, and in some cases coaxial) then you can feed the signal into the Slingbox.  The Slingbox will transcode the analog baseband signal into a multimedia format which can be watched anywhere on the network using the Slingplayer client software.  This is the basic premise of "Place Shifting".