8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2010 2:18 PM by ranaleon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Screen Freeze - Slingplayer for Samsung Captivate

enaybee

I didn't see any thread for Samsung's new phone Galaxy S dubbed Captivate (AT&T), so I am starting one here. Mods: if this is repeat question, please merge or delete. Thanks.

I recently  purchased a mobile version of slingplayer application for Samsung  Captivate (Galaxy S) cellphone running Android 2.1 OS. After  installing and using it I am having problems when I do the following  (over 3G and/or WiFi):

-     Every time I switch inputs (My slingbox HD-Pro is connected to FiOS  Cable and Dish network receiver), I experience screen freeze with sound  still working. No matter if I change channel or change the input again,  screen remains frozen up.

-     Every time I switch from SD channel to HD channel  or vice versa while watching FiOS cable, I see "Week or No Signal" blue  screen for a second or two and then after it starts playing video after a  second I experience screen freeze with sound still working. No matter  if I change channel or change the input again, screen remain frozen up.

Only way to  get rid of this screen freeze is to keep hitting back button until I  get to the login/connect screen. When I re-connect it works. But as soon  as I change the input again screen freeze happens again. This is very  frustrating. I was already using Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone without  any problems.

yesterday I talked to Sling Tech Support. Support Rep logged into my account using G1 (OS 2.2) and checked out my problem and confirmed that everything was working fine on her phone with no screen freeze in both scenarios.

Today, I returned my phone and bought another one of the same thinking that it might be the handset itself that is causing the problem. However, the problem is still there and I am still experiencing screen freezes.

I know my slingbox setup is rock solid. There is no bottleneck in the  network in terms of speed, port forwarding is OK,  slingmobiel for  iphone works fine and slingplayer for desktop works fine too (infact I  can watch HD on my computer).

How could I fix it? Is it compatibility issue between this phone and slingplayer? Please help. Thanks.

(note: if needed I can upload a video of my phone showing what I am talking about)

• Re: Screen Freeze - Slingplayer for Samsung Captivate
          Apprentice

Hi, enaybee.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

The main issue is that the Samsung Captivate Mobile device is not included in the supported Mobile devices list. This means that even though you can download and install the SPM application, it might not work properly. The following link will allow you to get all the information about the supported Mobile devices list.

SlingPlayer Mobile

Regards,
          The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

mdeckner

Thanks for the info. I have the same screen freeze problems on the Captivate.  I realize this is a newly released phone, but do you have a target timeframe on when this model will be supported?

mdeckner

I went to the link provided and your website indicates that slingbox supports all android mobile devices.  Should I contact tech support to check out what's going on?

enaybee

Thanks for looking into it but sorry your provided information contradicts the information provided on the sling website as pointed out by the OP. According to sling all Android device are equal and should be able to run SPM. However this is not the case.

I talked to Sling tech support regarding my issue and the lady wasn't able to provided any valuable support or information on my problem. She asked me to check connection, port forwarding etc that is already in place and working fine on my PC and iPhone. She also tested my setup using a rooted G1 running Froyo 2.2 and it worked fine.

This problem has something to do with this model and Sling should look into it. I am not feeling too good after spending $30 dollars for something that I can't use. Please help.

TheSopranos16

I am having similar issues on my Captivate.  The video will not play properly over 3G no matter how strong the signal.  On the very best of 3G signals I can get it to play with completely unwatchable quality and very frequent pausing and cutting out.  It works well over WiFi.  It seems as if it needs way more bandwidth to work than is really necessary.  My old phone (HTC Tilt 2) was able to play very good video pretty much anytime I had 2 or more bars of 3G service.

We need a fix or a refund.  Saying the phone isn't supported is not acceptable.  It didn't say the phone was unsupported when I spent my $30 to purchase the software.  Can someone from Sling please provide a timeline for a new version which addresses the Captivate and Galaxy S phones?

mdeckner

I called technology support and they diagnosed the problem i had was with the sling link connection to  my router and not the phone.  My hookup is now working great. Call them and get down to the real issue.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate(tm) on AT&T

TheSopranos16

I just put my sim card back in my old Tilt 2 and tried out SlingPlayer.  I was able to get a steady stream with decent quality and no cut outs.  I also went to mobilespeedtest.com and did a 2MB test with my Tilt 2 and got around 1300KBPS.  Then, I put the sim back in my Captivate and tried to watch from the exact same spot.  It played for the first 2 seconds then the video stopped.  The menus still worked so the program wasn't hung or anything, the stream just stopped coming in.  I then exited SlingPlayer and loaded up mobilespeedtest.com on my Captivate.  On the 2MB test, I got aprox 3500KBPS.  Almost 3 times the bandwidth of my Tilt 2 and I coudln't watch the stream at all.

Since the video worked on my Tilt 2, it can't be an issue with my slingbox and router setup at home.  Also, my Captivate gets faster download speeds so it can't be an issue related to bandwidth.

Like I said in my earlier post, it works fine over WiFi when I'm at home, but it refuses to work over 3G.  I also got poor results over WiFi from a location outside my home.  Seems like it has trouble with going to an external IP address?  Again, my slingbox works fine on my other phone and on computers that are outside my network so it can't be a slingbox/router configuration issue.  The only device with trouble is the Captivate.  Since the slingplayer mobile software got 4.5 stars in the marketplace, I'd imagine its working good on other phones and the issue is with the Captivate/Galaxy S phones.

Would be great to get a response from Sling on this and see what they think.

Apprentice

Hi, enaybee and all.

Thanks for the feedback and details everyone. We're looking into this and will let you know as soon as we have further information

Regards,
                        The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team