1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 3:45 PM by eferz RSS

Losing viewable internet feed when selecting external box

krrankin

I was setting up my Slingbox Pro. Everything works fine, including the preview of streaming video and audio, up until I have to select the external box. My actual box is not listed (Cisco Explorer 8640 HD). I think Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta so there are several Explorer models listed under SA but not my specific model. So I have tried several set ups each with a different options that make sense and ones with very similar remote set ups. Once I select the box and click "next" the feed goes to a complete black & white static feed (the good old Poltergeist screen) with no audio. The remote actually works, meaning I can view the changes being made on my actual TV and I can tell the channel has changed on my internet feed, I just can hear anything or make out the picture.

Any one else encounter such a problem?

• Re: Losing viewable internet feed when selecting external box
          eferz Expert

Is your Cisco Explorer 8640 HD connected to the TV via HDMI while also connected to your Slingbox using an analog cable like Composite, S-Video, or Component?  If your the Slingbox isn't displaying a proper picture, it is possible the set-top isn't providing proper a signal.  I would recommend testing the connectors from the cable box to see whether or not they're working.

It is possible that the set-top box has Selectable Output Control (SoC) enabled, which is a part of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).  If your set-top box is also connected so another device using HDMI then its probable that it has disrupted its own analog outputs.

There's more information and a possible workaround in the articles below.