21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 8:20 PM by Kouye RSS

No Connectivity on PRO HD - No Network LED

rpmccly

When I power on the Slingbox Pro HD the power LED and the slingmedia symbol light up red but the connectivity LED rarely comes on. I have gotten it to work a couple times out of about 100. One time I was able to update it and connect and set it up via COAX and work for awhile until I started hooking up my HD cable box and in the process the power cord came out and I am back to square one. The same thing happens, I have checked all the cables and they all work on different devices, especially the ethernet cord. I essentially know its the ethernet port on the slingbox, any help???

BTW, the slingmedia symbole stays solid and when I hold in the reset button nothing happens even after 30 seconds.

HELP!!!!

• Re: No Connectivity on PRO HD - No Network LED
          eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox AV, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

chrisfowler99

I've got a similar problem.

When I power the box up the network light blinks once and stays off.

I've tried a different cable and different ports. All other devices on the hub work. I've tried using a known working port and cable.

kbmorgan

It is most likely the power supply. I have the exact same problem and it just happened. With a chopper power supply putting out 4 amps, and being on for 24/7, the capacitors start to die and change value. I've had these other small, cheap, 5v 500ma supplies die, and under load they read 3.23 volts. I've opened them and replaced the caps and they come back to life. I had a 12 volt 2.5 amp supply for my external hard drive die too. The voltage measures correctly with no load, but the drive will not work. I replaced it with a 3 amp supply and it came right back to life. I'm confident that replacing the supply will correct all our problems.

I don't see anywhere in the support or the Sling Store where we can buy a new supply, so I'm going to open mine and replace the caps, if I can get it open, or find an equivalent supply. I have seen more good products with poor supplies. I love my Sling boxes. I have the HD and SD models, so as long as the supply is still working on the SD I'm good for a while. If changing the caps works then I will post the results here, but I really suggest that Sling offer sale of replacement power supplies. Maybe they need to look to another supplier, and do some serious burn-in tests to check the life of the supply.  I'm an electronics technician for ABC News and we have the SD models here and will be going to the HD Pros soon. I work on things like this all the time, but I just hate it when my electronic world breaks down.

eferz Expert

kbmorgan wrote:

I don't see anywhere in the support or the Sling Store where we can buy a new supply, so I'm going to open mine and replace the caps, if I can get it open, or find and equivalent supply.

If changing the caps works then I will post the results here, but I really suggest that Sling offer sale of replacement power supplies.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts

Slingbox PRO-HD/SOLO and SlingCatcher Power Supply

SLINGBOX PRO-HD/SOLO AND SLINGCATCHER POWER SUPPLY

Replacement Power Supply for the  Slingbox PRO-HD/SOLO or the SlingCatcher units. (Note – this item is not  suitable for the Slingbox AV/Tuner/Classic or Slingbox PRO).

$19.99
                  In Stock
                  ADD TO CART

Slingbox PRO Power Supply

SLINGBOX PRO POWER SUPPLY

Replacement Power Supply for the  Slingbox PRO. (Note – this item is not suitable for the Slingbox  PRO-HD/SOLO/AV/Tuner/Classic  or SlingCatcher).

$19.99
                  In Stock
                  ADD TO CART

Slingbox AV/Tuner/Classic Power Supply

SLINGBOX AV/TUNER/CLASSIC POWER SUPPLY

Replacement Power Supply for the  Slingbox AV/Tuner/Classic. (Note – this item is not suitable for the  Slingbox PRO-HD/PRO/SOLO or SlingCatcher).

$19.99
                  In Stock
                  ADD TO CART
                      kbmorgan

You guys need an accessories link right under the support tab that takes you right here. I should have found this page blind folded.

BTW, where's the component adapter for the Slingbox Pro SD to HDMI? Shouldn't that be on this page, shouldn't all accessories be on this page? If you're going to sell support, then you have to sell the support items, and make it really simple for someone to find them.

chrisfowler99

I've had mine for less than 60 days. Hard to consider spending another $20 for something that worked for about a month the first time around.

I just can't figure out where to actually contact Sling about this...

kbmorgan

I have now opened and discovered the problem with the Slingbox Pro HD power supply. The problem is that the 5 volt 4 amp supply looses current output. I replaced C12 and C13 in the supply. Both are 680uf at 10 volts, 105-degrees c electrolytic polarized capacitors. I replaced them with 1000uf at 10 volts. You can see that they have physically changed as the tops have bulged upward. I measured them and found that one had dropped to 32uf and the other had dropped to 368uf. My HD Slingbox is back up and running fine. I used a dremel with the cut tool to carefully score along the seam, all the way around, and then pry it open the rest of the way. The board will fold the tabs, connected to the Plug prongs, enough to get to the back of the board to unsolder and replace the capacitors. I then used electrical tape to wrap around the supply to hold the top back on. This will let me get back inside if I should have to ever replace the caps again. If you do this repair remember to observe the polarity of the caps when you replace them. Hopefully the 1000uf caps will take longer to change value before having to be replaced again. I would have also used a higher voltage, like 16 or 25 volts, if the physical size worked, but I didn't have any with the physical size at those values.  Hope this helps. I did eventually find the link here to be able to order a replacement supply. http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts  Found it after I had come back here to post the discovery and fix. Thanks for pointing it out for me EFERZ.

guiambros

I was having the exact same problem as described. Tested the power supply and the output was reading 5.23V without load, but when connected it didn't go above 50mA. Seems Sling really sells it with ****** power supplies. Mine lasted +-18 months :-(

I replaced with another good power supply and it fixed the problem. Current now reads 200mA @ 5Vdc.

keithclancy

I have had the same problem with my slingbox pro HD power supplies. They read about 5.2 volts unloaded and drop to around 3 volts when load.  My slingbox AV power supply rated at 6.0 volts but only half the current puts out a full six volts when plugged into the slingbox   Pro HD.   The Slingbox store cannot replace a defective power supply when you buy one from them.  The only authorize a merchandise Return and a credit upon receipt, with the instructions to go back to the web page and order it again.  Makes me wonder if they check out the returned power supplies or just restock it and ship it to the next order received.    Since my slingbox Pro HD has been running on the slingbox AV power supply, I am considering ordering another slingbox AV power supply, so as not get bad slingbox pro HD power supply someone  else has returned.   My current slingbox AV power supply has lasted about two years longer so it must be a better design, and since the voltage is not dropping I am guessing it is not being stressed too much.  Too Bad Slingbox does not have good tech support, when I ask about using the slingbox AV power supply on the slingbox pro HD, I was told by the tech on the phone “ they are all about the same voltage”  Which begs the question if they are all interchangeable  why have so many, or label the 4 amp slingbox pro HD power supply not for use as a replacement for the 2 amp slingbox AV power supply?

Kouye

I had this exact problem and solved it by doing what kpmorgan posted, replaced 2 capacitors (c12 and c13) with 1000uF 25v 105 deg radial capacitors.  The original ones were 680uF 10v 105 deg.  The new ones are too tall so the case won't close completely, but don't care, they should last longer.  Pluss they were only $0.98 each at a local electronics store.

Now my Slingbox Pro HD works.....but now my stupid DirecTV D11 receiver won't power on...I suspect a similar issue....I can see a couple of bulging capacitors through the vent....grrr....