19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2016 11:23 AM by ACC6249008 RSS

How to Configure Pro-HD with Xfinity 1

ksulliv1 Newbie

Hi, originally when configuring my Sling, I used the software installed on my PC and chose my cable box from the list. Now I have upgraded to Xfinity 1 with a new cable box and, it isn't in the list of options in the drop down. I know configuration has been forced to the web based interface but, I don't know how to get it to provide my specific cable box.

RNG-150N Model px032ani

At this point I can connect to and watch my Sligbox but, cannot perform any actions like changing channels or using the remote. It just freezes the UI.

• Re: How to Configure Pro-HD with Xfinity 1
          alanrichey42 Master

I assume you have already done a proper Forum Search for your model number in case other people have already answered your question ?

If so and that didn't help then check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

Come back if it that doesn't help either.

Al

ksulliv1 Newbie

Thanks, I have downloaded the custom remote files for the Pace RNG150N but can’t figure out how to load them. I have followed the steps for uploading a custom remote control for use with a legacy Slingbox, found on http://support.slingbox.com/sitecore/content/Support/KB/KB-1000320?sc_lang=en but, when I get to the screen where you select custom and then next, I get a dropdown list of codes which is not referenced in the instructions, and I can’t seem to just get to the browse feature.

alanrichey42 Master

Did you check the Readme file ?   (The clue is in the name )   The instructions are in there.

ksulliv1 Newbie

Okay the readme has the same instructions as the site I referenced and they are inaccurate. As I said before, when I get to the step where you choose “Custom” and then “Next”, it doesn’t bring me to the page where I enter the path to the bin file. Because in my case when I select “Custom”, I get a drop down list of several codes, and clicking “Next” just uses whatever code is highlighted. I don’t see an option to not use any of them and move on to the page where I enter the path.

ksulliv1 Newbie

Okay I was going one step to far and in the list of devices there was only an option for “Other” not Custom. I looked in the previous drop down and found the “Other” option and got the path field. I used the first of two bin files and it loaded a remote but, it didn’t work. The channel up and down doesn’t work, selecting a channel from the guide doesn’t work and entering a number using the number buttons doesn’t work. So I tried entering the path for the second bin file and it wouldn’t load. This is driving me nuts. The Slingbox experience used to be such a simple and positive one. But at this point it is becoming the opposite. I am using one of the largest cable providers available, with the latest package they offer and, the configuration for Sling is just not working. It’s becoming more trouble than it’s worth and I don’t understand how we went from something so good to this.

alanrichey42 Master

I think we might be talking about different things here.   That Sling site is misleading, as you say, but I never refer to it.    I assumed you had followed the link I provided in the post I asked you to read and download the Custom Remote from the JP1 forum at Pace RNG150N

Now the Readme file in that download tells you to follow the instructions at  http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-install-a-custom-remote-onto-the-slingbox/  and not the site you refer to.    And you don;t appear to be using those instructions as they specifically state "..If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on. .."   and that is exactly what you have done,

So please use that Custom Remote and those instructions.

And where did you get the Custom Remote from ?  I obviously need to fix it.

Al

ksulliv1 Newbie

Yes I did, and did download the Pace RNG150N ZIP file, and in it were two bin files. The V2010_PL.bin and the V2010_RV.bin. The PL loaded and installed but, when the remote popped up none of the buttons did anything but freeze the picture for a second, and then continue playing what was already there. So I tried the RV file and it gave the error that it wasn’t a proper file. Actually the option in the standard list of devices for the RGN100 (or something like that, I actually can’t access my Sling through setup at the moment because it says it was stopped due to poor internet connection, even though it is hard wired directly to the router and has a fully lit internet light and network activity lights, and every other device in the house is working just fine, (so frustrating)) works better but, it uses the older Xfininty (Comcast) remote instead of the XR5 v4-U remote for X1 users. I can’t access the DVR or anything other than changing channels but, that’s the best I’ve been able to come up with at this point.

When I have a couple hours free and can actually access my Sling again (fingers crossed), I’ll try to compile the list of detailed information you require.

But again I wonder, if Xfinity is one of the largest cable providers in the country, and the X1 platform is the current solution their customers use, why is it so much to ask that, Sling have this figured out already and loaded as a standard setup option all ready to go? Am I expecting too much, it was never a problem before moving to the X1 platform, and that’s been out for a few years now.

alanrichey42 Master

So I tried the RV file and it gave the error that it wasn’t a proper file.

You really didn't read the instructions did you ?     Third paragraph states "... For most devices you will need only the xxxx_PL.BIN file.   The xxxx_RV.BIN file is used for older European Slingbox Solo models...."

There are loads and loads of posts about the X1 on the forum, so there are lots of people happily using them.   I assume you have searched for the device as I asked you to do ?

ksulliv1 Newbie

Yes and if you hadn’t closed my post asking about configuring Xfinity X1 devices, one of them may have actually responded and told me exactly what it took to make theirs work. But that would be too easy I guess. And yes I read it but, when the one that is “supposed” to work doesn’t, anyone desperate to get things working again, would also try the second.

ksulliv1 Newbie

Okay I apologize as my conversation with you was only via my email client and, I didn't know it was being added to the post. I thought you closed this post as you did the other one of mine. Sorry.

I did a search of the community for RGN150N and found several posts dating back a couple years. Only one or two pertained to the Pro-HD however and most of them didn't ever come to any specific resolution. A lot of them referenced using an existing remote for different makes of the RNG150N, Samsung, Motorola, Comcast but, in the setup for my Pro-HD, there doesn't appear to be any options listed for the RNG150N, and granted they were other models of SlingPlayers. My model number is PX032ANI and when I search that online it appears to be a Pace, but I am not absolutely sure as it doesn't say. And it isn't the multi-room DVR, it's just one of the clients. Has anyone on here successfully setup a Slingbox Pro-HD with Xfinity X1, and using the RGN150N?

alanrichey42 Master

Yes and if you hadn’t closed my post asking about configuring Xfinity X1 devices, one of them may have actually responded and told me exactly what it took to make theirs work. But that would be too easy I guess.

Not sure what you mean by that ?   I don't have the ability to close posts.   Are you perhaps under the impression I work for Sling ?   Nothing could be further from the truth, I am simply a user like yourself who has managed to figure out (with no help from Sling) how to build and install Custom Remotes for unsupported boxes so I try and help out other users are stuck.    And as I live in the UK I wouldn't know an X1 if I tripped over one in the street so all I can suggest is you search for other posts.

And I just checked the code for thr Pace PX032ANI and can confirm it definately uses the same IR codes as the RNG150N so the Custom Remote I built for that box should work for you.

ksulliv1 Newbie

Okay I just kept closing and reopening IE and after several tries, I got setup to load again. This time around I tried something totally different and just picked,

Cable TV Box

Comcast

X1 (XR5)

And that seems to be the answer in my case. The remote even looks exact. So in the future Xfinity X1 users with the RNG150N DVR, please give the Comcast X1 XR5 remote a try if you're having trouble.