1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 19, 2016 7:35 AM by eric_b RSS

Has anyone been able to get the Slingbox 500 working with 1080p to Roku on another TV (in home)?

eric_b Newbie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hi,

I have a case open which I'm waiting for support.  But, in the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone has been able to get full 1080p resolution to another TV in their home using Roku (2, to be specific).  I top out at 1280x768 resolution and 5032 MBps bitrate on the Roku side.  Bitrate from a PC running Slingplayer desktop is 8MBps.  And, iPad is very close.  I just wanted to know if there's something that I'm missing in the configuration.  Everything is set to 1080p.

Note: All connections are wired using Cat5e.

Thanks for any replies!

EB

• Re: Has anyone been able to get the Slingbox 500 working with 1080p to Roku on another TV (in home)?
          eric_b Newbie

I just wanted to follow-up.  I had a ticket open with Slingbox support.  Here is the reply that they gave:

"I am sending this email to inform you that although the Roku supports 1080p for a resolution, the SlingPlayer for Mobile devices is limited to 720p or 960/544. The reason this information is important is because when you cast from you mobile device, the Roku mirrors what it receives from the application."

A few observations that I had:

My resolution is not limited to 960/544.  The max is 1280x720.  I'm not sure why they mentioned 960.

For the Roku/mobile app connection, I kind of understand that.  However, from what I've read, I thought there was a handshake from the mobile app to the Roku.  Once the streaming is occurring on the Roku, I thought the mobile app was irrelevant.  Maybe it's during the initial handshake?

Anyway... I guess the bottom line is... anyone hoping for 1080p (even on a LAN) is out of luck.  I've put an enhancement request in, but I'm not sure if that type of thing is being done.

Thanks.