1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 3, 2016 3:06 PM by nacnack RSS

Sling box 500 Wired versus Wireless

Kball10

I have a new sling box 500 coming in the next few days.  Main purpose for purchasing is to be able to sling Directv content to a second home in Florida.  My main question is will I experience better performance if I set-up the 500 via a wired connection to my router as opposed to wireless?  My easiest set-up will be wireless, but if I moved something around I could do a wired connection.

When I say "better" performance I am thinking both at my original home as far as less impact on my home network and possibly remotely.

Thanks

• Re: Sling box 500 Wired versus Wireless
          nacnack

Simple answer, YES, wired is always faster performance then wireless, better video quality and possibly less interference with other wireless items in your home. What I've done is purchase a good wireless extender to my TV upstairs. (My modem and router are downstairs) so the extender boost my signal to my upstairs TV area and gives a good signal to every bedroom upstairs also. OK so now i have my wireless extender upstairs and plug my Slingbox into my extender (Wired). Works like a charm.

The only advice I give you is not to go cheap on a wireless extender, I did that and wasted my money. I now have the NETGEAR EX7000, actually i have 2 of them in different areas of the house and am very pleased. good luck, happy holidays