1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 18, 2010 4:20 PM by eferz RSS

Buffer Failure

original-slinger

I have owned my slingbox tuner since 2007 and have more recently noticed this recurring problem. I can not relate the incident to a particular upgrade or change but I think the issue started about 6-12 months ago. I am able to watch streaming video over the LAN without any complications. Also, no problems arise with mobile internet through my cellular provider. However, when I watch TV through a personal computer at a remote location (ie. airport or college dormitory) occasionally the buffer will run out and the streaming media will fail without any ability to restore itself. The only way to continue from this point would be to disconnect and reconnect to my slingbox by either closing the program completely or closing the connection within the software. I have multiple computers that I have tried different slingplayer software versions and different versions of windows all with the same problem. In the event that my internet at the place of downloading the video drops a packet or loses connection for any random reason why would a computer not automatically rebuffer when it is a more powerful machine and has a faster internet speed than my cellphone? Could it be possible that my slingbox itself is defective or do I have any options available? Thank you very much for reading my complication.

• Re: Buffer Failure
          eferz Expert

Empty lines makes a big block of text easier to digest.

original-slinger wrote:

I have owned my slingbox tuner since 2007 and have more recently noticed this recurring problem. I can not relate the incident to a particular upgrade or change but I think the issue started about 6-12 months ago.

I am able to watch streaming video over the LAN without any complications. Also, no problems arise with mobile internet through my cellular provider. However, when I watch TV through a personal computer at a remote location (ie. airport or college dormitory) occasionally the buffer will run out and the streaming media will fail without any ability to restore itself.

The only way to continue from this point would be to disconnect and reconnect to my slingbox by either closing the program completely or closing the connection within the software. I have multiple computers that I have tried different slingplayer software versions and different versions of windows all with the same problem.

In the event that my internet at the place of downloading the video drops a packet or loses connection for any random reason why would a computer not automatically rebuffer when it is a more powerful machine and has a faster internet speed than my cellphone? Could it be possible that my slingbox itself is defective or do I have any options available? Thank you very much for reading my complication.

Well, there's no buffering done at the Slinbox (hardware server) end.  It mearly transcodes the live stream to the Slingplayer client.  The Slingplayer (software client) itself is responsible for buffering the stream.  A few packets losses isn't going cause these symptoms.  Besides, the Slingplayer should always have a few seconds of buffer.

You should probably open up the streaming statistics, [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] on the Slingplayer Desktop for PC, to get an idea of the values which the Slingplayer uses to dynamically adjust its algorhythms.  If you having a difficult time trying to decypher the numbers, then capture a video of the statistics along with the video.  Like this person did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfos4RHEGzI) which Bryanoid used to diagnose his issue (https://community.sling.com/message/10822#10822).