14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 1:00 AM by mikeywells RSS

Directv HR24 DVR in RF Mode

rdegennaro

I switched my Directv HR24 remore from IR to RF and now my Slingbox Pro will not communicate does anyone know if there are any fixes of bins to help

• Re: Directv HR24 DVR in RF Mode
          eferz Expert

Switch it back.  The Slingbox has an Infrared Red (IR) blaster not an Radio Frequency (RF) blaster.

jgronowski

Does anyone know if the USB port can currently be used to control the Directv boxes and or if there are any plans to do so in the future.  This would be extremely helpful to users that for one reason or another MUST set the Directv unit to RF control.

edowdall

I also have this problem.  We upgraded our DVR yesterday and it's RF now.   I have a Slingbox Solo.  For the moment, I'm dead in the water.

Some of this functionality is already in place.  For example, when I want to record a program from the website it's talking to my DVR without IR.  It's sending the instructions to record on my home unit through the web interface.  Same thing, only now we need all of the remote controls to work, not just record.

Also, I don't see my new DVR unit, HR23/700 in the list of choices of DVRs.  I thought to update the firmware, but that said I had the most recent version.  Is there a different update to update the DVR unit selections?  Or is the HR20 a generic choice that would work if I still had IR?

Thanks,

Ed

dbsguy Apprentice

edowdall,

Choose any DirecTV HRx series unit from the setup winzard (HR20, HR21, HR22, etc... All of them use the same IR codeset.

BUT you will first have to put your unit back in "IR" mode on the remote and unit. You must do this from the menu/parental controls, fav and setup/setup/remote/IR-RF menu. Simply follow the onscreen instructions once your there and all will be back to norm....

edowdall

... as we would expect, this did work; thank you for your response.  In fact, I'm trying to put a good face on it that in returning to IR, the remote control response is a touch faster.  The RF was through the floor to the basement where I have all components distributed to the rest of the house.  Now we're back to the pyramids (Powermid) plugged into the wall sockets that transmit the IR from the rooms to the receiving pyramid in front of the IR at the component location.

Saigonkid

I unfortunately have to use RF because the Directv IR conflicts with my LG tv. If anyone figures out how to use the slingbox remote in RF mode, it would be much appreciated. Until then I just have to remember to leave the box on a good channel everytime I leave the house! 

dbsguy Apprentice

There is NO way for the Slingbox to control the receiver when it's in RF mode. So you can do away with the "until then" in your statement above.

It simply doesn't have the circuitry needed in order to convert or control RF remote signal operations. I suggest you have a problem with your LG TV if the DirecTV remeote is conflicting with it's use when in IR mode. I do have a suggestion for you to try though. In the LG onscreen menu, try turning off the autobrightness or light sensor if there is an option to do so. Once that is done try putting the DirecTV receiver and remote back to IR mode and see if the conflict you mention is resolved. If so it's a win win sistuation for everything including slingbox remote control capability.

yarrumw

It could be left in RF mode if slingbox would allow the DVR to be controlled via IP...but I doubt that slingmedia is interested in adding this additional control which is too bad for those who want/need RF control.

Murph74

Not that it's SlingBox's issue, but I'm in the same boat with DirecTV.  I actually pay the $6 a month for a seperate reciever to be able to use my slingbox with the service-- and it kinda sucks! lol

I will at least give Dish Network credit for makign a IR to RF converter that seems to solve this issue for their customers.  DirecTV, you listening??

bbonacci

I suspect this answer came from a Slingbox employee since the avatar is the logo.  This is a HORRIBLE answer.  The worst part is the poster saying "so you can do away with the "until then" in your statement above"

I am not an electronics expert but your statement that there is NO WAY for the slingbox to control an RF device is flat out WRONG.   Of course, currently this is not possible, but there is NO WAY that it wouldn't be possible for a future Slingbox to control an RF device and there is NO WAY that an add on can not be built that would do this. It may not be feasible, but that should be the answer then.  That is why telling the other poster to do away with "until then" is ridiculous.  More and more devices are switching to RF control due to the better and multi-room control.  So are you saying that Slingbox will just go out of business before they would do something to adapt to a new technology?  You may want to ask someone else at your company if this is the policy of Slingbox.

dbsguy Apprentice

bbonacci

1 posts since

Sep 16, 2010

Currently Being Moderated
                                          Oct 19, 2011 5:11 AM in response to: dbsguy
                                          Re: Directv HR24 DVR in RF Mode

I suspect this answer came from a Slingbox employee since the avatar is the logo.  This is a HORRIBLE answer.  The worst part is the poster saying "so you can do away with the "until then" in your statement above"

I am not an electronics expert but your statement that there is NO WAY for the slingbox to control an RF device is flat out WRONG.   Of course, currently this is not possible, but there is NO WAY that it wouldn't be possible for a future Slingbox to control an RF device and there is NO WAY that an add on can not be built that would do this. It may not be feasible, but that should be the answer then.  That is why telling the other poster to do away with "until then" is ridiculous.  More and more devices are switching to RF control due to the better and multi-room control.  So are you saying that Slingbox will just go out of business before they would do something to adapt to a new technology?  You may want to ask someone else at your company if this is the policy of Slingbox.

First off, I do NOT work for sling media! I chose the slingbox profile icon only because it was the only one that I liked when setting up my profile.

Just because the answer I gave isn't what you wanted to hear, doesn't make anything I stated incorrect. You can NOT control a DirecTV receiver in RF mode with a slingbox PERIOD. He wasn't asking about a future model of a slingbox in regaurds to controlling his current HR24, so me stating that it's not even a possibility with his current model of slingbox is NOT misleading in any way.

Now just FYI, when you have a direcTV receiver in RF mode, even other top of the line universal remotes will NOT control it as most incoporate only IR sensors/tranmitters. The other RF technology remotes (like the Logitech Harmony 900 Model) still won't control it as they change IR to RF, then back to IR at the component location; however they do not translate the signal into something that any particular RF component such as the DirecTV receiver can use or even recognize.

If you did any research on the matter (by readfing other forums including the DirecTV support forum) you'd see the same complaints about not being able to use an universal remote to control a receiver in "RF" mode. The solution again is to place the receiver in question back to "IR" mode in order to acheiev the desired remote.

Truely it's not that hard or complicated to follow what I'm saying; now is it?

Now in terms of addressing another posters comment; it is possibluy for a DirecTV receiver to be controlled via http protocol by sending commands to the specified IP address and TCP port assigned to a particular DirecTV Hx or HRx receiver; however this assumes a couple of factors.

1. You have to connect the DirecTV receiver to your router via an ethernet cable, powerline  ethernet adapter, or wireless gaming adapter.

2. The command sets would have to be built into a future fireware release and pushed to current slingbox models.

3. This assumes that Sling Media has a particular interest in addressing a specific issue with a specific provider/manufacturer model lineup (in this case DirecTV). I say this as other manufacturers have also not addressed the issue until this point such as in the case with universal remotes as mentioned above.

mikeywells

Im having the same problems... I have the HR24 box and can in no way get the remote on my slingbox to work with this unit? Ive read the forum and tried it all... still nothing ? I cant change it on my iphone when wathing nor on my computer .. Direct tv box is in IR mode and ive tried HR20, HR21, HR22 ... absolutley does not work.. Any help or troublshooting would be appreciated ??