6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2015 2:39 PM by talskantech RSS

Slingbox 500 HDMI

talskantech
    Visibility: Open to anyone

When connecting a STB to the 500 with both component and HDMI, does the 500, in turn, connect to the TV only with HDMI or also with component?

• Re: Slingbox 500 HDMI
          katie.sling Apprentice

Hi Toby,

That is a great question. You can set up the Slingbox a few different ways to the TV. You can use HDMI cables as a passthrough from the cable box to the Slingbox, and then out of the Slingbox in to the TV, but you may not get video on your Slingbox. This is called HDCP which is a form of copyright protection caused by use of HDMI cables. This comes from the cable company itself. What you will want to do is set up the Slingbox to the TV using component cables as a passthrough, so the cables will be connected out of the cable box in to the Slingbox and then out of the Slingbox in to the TV. Below please find a few articles explaining HDCP in a little bit more detail.

Hope this helps!

Katie

Sling Media Support

talskantech

Katie, thanks so much for responding so quickly. I had no idea anyone would, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my purchase. I went with the 500 and followed the advice on the converter and ordered one of those through GANG-HU as well. My hope was that I could come out of the STB with HDMI to the converter and pass that straight through to the TV, via the HDMI output of the converter. Then, I planned to exit the converter with component and analog audio into the Slingbox. That way, I never have any surprises while on the road and I also benefit from the single HDMI cable to the TV.

That last part is of particular import to me because I already have a Marantz A/V receiver after the STB to switch multiple inputs to a single HDMI input on the TV…FIFTY FEET AWAY! In other words, I don’t have the luxury of running five new cables between the media closet and the TV over that distance, especially in the crawlspace under the house, at least not easily. So, check my computations, if you would, but I plan to do the following:

DVR (HDMI) --> Converter (HDMI) --> A/V Receiver (HDMI) --> TV

--> Converter (component) --> Slingbox 500

Should that work well to get the HDMI to the TV and also make sure the HDCP doesn’t sabotage the Slingbox? Thanks again, Katie.

Toby

katie.sling Apprentice

Ideally for the Slingbox, the connection for the Slingbox would be this..

DVR (HDMI) --> Converter (HDMI) --> Slingbox (HDMI) --> TV

If you would still want to add the A/V Receiver, you would either go out of the TV in to the AV Receiver or put the AV Receiver between the Slingbox and the TV.   (Since we don't actually support the AV Receiver being in the mix, you may want to contact Marantz for further setup help.)

Katie

talskantech

Oh, but I thought it was recommended for copy protection to run the DVR to the Slingbox using the component interfaces. In fact, one or both of the links you provided previously has a link to the GANG-HU converter (http://www.gang-hu.com/gh_shop/index.aspx) to make sure HDMI-only devices can connect via component.

The Quick Start Guide on the GUNG-HU site even has the following picture, which shows exactly what I would like to do to be able to keep the A/V receiver in-line with the TV from the DVR. The Slingbox would be the component at the top of the diagram, and the A/V receiver would be to the right, between the converter and the TV. Should that not work okay?

Is it possible that I’m missing some sort of value in keeping the Slingbox in line with the TV? I can’t see the difference, as long as the Slingbox is able to control the DVR through the IR blaster. Thanks again.

Toby

katie.sling Apprentice

If you are using the Gang Hu Adapter, it would go out of the cable box in to the Gang Hu out of the Gang Hu in to the TV (all HDMI) and then out of the Gang Hu with either HDMI or component to the Slingbox.  You can certainly try connecting both the HDMI and component outputs to two different things. Since it isn't supported, I'm not sure if it will give you video for both but you can certainly try connecting it that way.

Katie

talskantech

Okay. I think we're saying the same thing. After connecting the DVR's HDMI to the converter, I would connect only the component from the converter to the Slingbox and only the HDMI from the converter to the TV. I'll shout if it doesn't work. Thanks again for the advice.

Toby

Sent from my Commodore 64