7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2010 7:11 AM by Bryanod RSS

Remote Control Problem

zetor12

The set up went fine until I got to the "Configure Video Sources" in the Set Up Assistant, I selected Panasonic but my remote isn't in the drop down list, the vcr is a Panasonic NV-FJ618, I tried some of the others in the list but none would turn of my vcr, when I selected "other" from the list and tried the first code but the Set Up window always freezes and I have to close it and start again, the 2 sensors are in the correct place and is plugged in, any help much apreciated.

• Re: Remote Control Problem
          alanrichey42 Master

Please read https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0 then come back if it doesn't help.

zetor12

Thanks for the link, just what I was looking for, loads of good info which helped me getting the remote working.

alanrichey42 Master

Glad it helped

Cheers

Al

LDRobinson

I've had my Slingbox for about 4 years now and it works fine for remote viewing, but I do have a persistent problem with the remote control. It seems to freeze up on me frequently, and I have to have someone back home reset the Slingbox daily (sometimes multipe times per day), or I have no ability to change channels, see the program menu, etc. I'm pretty sure this is not an issue of the IR sensors being placed improperly, because we've gone through this multiple times and checked and rechecked ad nauseum. When the Slingbox is reset, the remote control works fine for a while, but then just freezes up after a while and sticks on whatever channel I happen to be watching at the time (or the last channel I watched, if I happen not to be watching at the moment). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

alanrichey42 Master

Not really.   The fact that it works initially means all the software/firmware must be OK after a reset.  Might be worth checking if the IR Blasters are actually firing (watch them through a digital camera) when it stops working.

LDRobinson

Okay, next time I'm back home I'll give that a try. But I suspect it's more than that, since when it stops working, the remote from the cable box that the Slingbox is connected to also stops working. It could be a problem with the cable box and not the Slingbox itself.

Thanks,

L Robinson

Bryanod Novice

When you use the remote its kinda a 1 way transmission. 

IMHO the only way that makes sense to me for the sling remote to lock up a cable box even from a local remote and is resolved by a slingbox power down is 1 of 2 things

1.  When you send ir singnals via the sling it somehow floods the ir to the cable box until you power it down. 

Test this by unpluging the ir cable instead of powering off. 

2. Is dependant on how you get your Internet.  If you use cable for Internet as well the sling could saturate your upload.  What does upload have to do with channel changing?  In some cable markets when you hit channel up your cable box will "tune" the next frequency. In many others channel up is set all the way to the cable company.  The cable company finds a free frequency and tells your cable box to tune to that but display 1 channel up.  If that process is disrupted due to singnal loss or timeout your cable box will "wait" for the headend to respond.  Problem being the headend never got the request.  If this is the issue you will experiance often not avialible messages when accessing VOD or program info.

Test this by recreating the issue on a lan connection.  If you can't get the remote to lock up then the slings tcp connection is causing the cablebox's udp connection to timeout

I might be way off but thats all that I can come up with

GL