7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2010 5:32 PM by Bryanod RSS

Traveling with my laptop

rps2756

I frequently go out of town and bring my laptop.  When my laptop is in my home and I just want to catch something on TV and the regular television is not available I turn on my slingbox and everything is perfect.  However, when at a hotel, the program keeps insisting that I do not have an internet connection, which I do.  Am I missing something?  Can anyone help me correct this problem?  I have even found in one case that a hard wire connection did not work either.

• Re: Traveling with my laptop
          Bryanod Novice

My guess is that when your at home your firewall is set to private and its connections are considered trusted. On the road they are not so they follow different rules not allowing the program to open connections.  To help narrow in on your specfic setting we need to know what os and firewall software you use.

eferz Expert

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
            Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
            Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
            Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

Bryanod Novice

Sorry if I was vague, but the issue the poster has nothing to do with the home router. Its that the sling app is not "allowed" to make a outbound connection.

rps2756

I have no idea what that means.  All I know is that it has worked at times and I cannot figure it out.  I turned off my firewall and still couldn t get it to work, so I am totally baffled.

Ray

Bryanod Novice

When you goto a hotel and get on their network for the first time you will get some sort of pop up asking you to set a network location. My guess is you choose public

7-18-2010 12-45-14 AM.png

It makes sense to me that if it works at home that's because you chose home network when you first got on.

rps2756

HI there again,

The problem is that the sling media cannot find the Internet although I am connected.  If you can tell me in detail what to do that would be great.

Ray

Thanks

Bryanod Novice

your picture doesn't help.  I do understand that its the sling player on the laptop that can't get on the internet but you are in fact on the internet.  Is this a company laptop?

Think of it this way.  For security on your home network its safe for the sling app to reach the internet.  When its on a hotel network the application is blocked.

Telling me your os and any anti virst software you use will help