13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2015 5:52 AM by elind RSS

Slingplayer connection loop on new FireTV Stick

tab1122
    Visibility: Open to anyone
      i just received the new Fire TV stick with voice remote that began shipping last week.  It comes loaded with OS 5.0.3.2, and the Slingplayer app will not connect and goes through a connection attempt cycle in an endless loop.  So I bought the new product specifically for the Slingplayer app only to come to find it does not work.  It is frustrating that there does not seem to be an error reporting place on the sling support site other then forking out $29.99 to call their support.  Not interested.   Is anyone else having this problem or a suggestion on how to effectively communicate with sling?  All other connected devices work fine in the same location, but I was hoping the new tech would run even better versus not at all.  Help!
        • Re: Slingplayer connection loop on new FireTV Stick
          tab1122

Just received a message that Sling is aware of the issue and attempting to resolve.

I'll believe that when I see it :-)

Did they email you directly? For the most part they just ignore these forums and seem to be perfectly happy with their multiple non-functional apps!

tab1122
                  I shared the community concern with a Sling executive via email last night  and he replied via email last night.  I shared the email with Amazon exec, Amazon PR, Sling PR..  No reply from them yet, but it is still only 7:30 AM on West Coast.  Will share any updates here although I suggested Sling reply to the multiple posts regarding the issue here.  Amazon will probably have to address seeing that the reviews on Amazin App Store for the Slingplayer for Fire TV were 37% rated at one with some clear critical feedback.  I probably will return the new Fire TV Stick to Amazon if there is no resolution to the issue as my Roku works fine outside of the awkward handoff process from a phone or tablet to Slingplayer.   Will be contacting Amazon today to determine my return grace period.
                tab1122
                I just received the following email at 7:10 pm est on Nov 16 from sling media: "Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have elevated the issue to the Slingbox team and they let us know that they believe they have identified and resolved the issue. They expect to make an update available soon."  I hope soon means the next couple of weeks.  At least I have two people at sligmedia replying to my email.
                  tab1122
                  I received a reply from Amazon this morning.  Their reply: "I'm (name)  from Amazon.com. Jeff Bezos received your e-mail and asked me to respond on his behalf.   I'm sorry for the trouble you've had experienced using Slingplayer app with Fire TV stick.   I've forwarded this issue to our internal team for further investigation and personally following up with them. I'll update you as soon as i hear from our team.   We appreciate your patience and understanding." 
                    tab1122
                    This morning I received the Amazon Fire Stick OS version 5.0.3.2 and the update has included the connection glitch fix for Slingplayer.  To get the update, click the System tab, then About, then click down to system update.  The new update takes about 10 minutes to install and optimizes system storage and updates applications.  The active version on Slinplayer for FireTV is v.3.0.5.  I don't know if there are any improvements to Slingplayer streaming or other features as I will test that now, but at least I get a signal on a device without the awkward cell phone or tablet hand off to run. Maybe it helped to elevate the issue to both Sling Media and Amazon senior management, who knows.  Not sure where the issue was (either the Fire Stick or Sling).  But I did not get notification from either of them that the update was available, but heard from Ulf Lindroth on this tread.  Thanks Ulf!
                        elind Newbie

Some info regarding this.

Re my last post, I tried the Fire Stick last night and to my surprise it worked. This morning I checked the system data and it does show 5.0.3.2. However I received mine on the 10th and it did not work then. I don't know what the version was then, but it appears to have automatically updated on the 18th because I had left it plugged in but never checked it until last night.

One of these days someone from Sling Media will read these posts and say something.

One critique however; it works similar to the IPhone app which I find much clunkier than the Android app and I think the voice commands don't work with Slingbox which makes selecting channels slower because now it is cursor controlled instead of finger, but it also doesn't seem to buffer regularly like my Roku does.