9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2010 4:28 AM by bigmonkey RSS

I live overseas, slingbox moved to different location, now I can't connect

bigmonkey

Hi everyone. I live in Vietnam. My slingbox is located at my mother's house in US. She recently moved to another house. A friend of ours moved the slingbox to her new house and connected everything properly, but I cannot connect now. She is still in the same city, with the same ISP, just different house/address. The slingbox was setup with the 2.0 software on my laptop, which is here with me. I won't be able to go back to US before Christmas. What does my friend need to do with the slingbox at the new location so I can connect again?

• Re: I live overseas, slingbox moved to different location, now I can't connect
          eferz Expert

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
          Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
          Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
          Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

• Re: I live overseas, slingbox moved to different location, now I can't connect
              bigmonkey

Thanks for your reply.  However, I don't think the things you discuss are really the issue.  Nothing has changed here at my remote location. I've never had any problem viewing the slingbox anywhere in Vietnam - my home, restaurants, bars, etc. The internet here is pretty open - there's nothing nefarious going on with that.  The issue is at the slingbox location on the US side.  As my post states, it was moved from one house to another.  Therefore, different IP address at the new location, and the slingbox is not communicating with the sling media servers, so I can't connect from anywhere in the world right now. The folks at sling media support want $29.95 just to tell me how to get it working again.  I would like to try and get it working with the help of good people on this forum, rather than spend that money on what I suspect is a simple matter - I hope.

eferz Expert

bigmonkey wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  However, I don't think the things you discuss are really the issue.  Nothing has changed here at my remote location. I've never had any problem viewing the slingbox anywhere in Vietnam - my home, restaurants, bars, etc. The internet here is pretty open - there's nothing nefarious going on with that. 

The issue is at the slingbox location on the US side.  As my post states, it was moved from one house to another.  Therefore, different IP address at the new location, and the slingbox is not communicating with the sling media servers, so I can't connect from anywhere in the world right now. The folks at sling media support want $29.95 just to tell me how to get it working again.  I would like to try and get it working with the help of good people on this forum, rather than spend that money on what I suspect is a simple matter - I hope.

Right.  Except that you're currently having a problem connecting now.  What I'm saying is that problem is most likely due to the configuration of the router in the States where the Slingbox is located.  Someone will need to look into the router configuration to make sure that UDP and TCP ports of the Slingbox is forwarded to its private IP address.  If it is then it is possible the broadband modem in the new place also has its own firewall.

Bryanod Novice

eferz is on the right track.  Moving shouldn't change anything but it did.  You need to troubleshoot to see if it connects locally. If it works local then troubleshoot the router. 

bigmonkey

Had my best people on it in the States... Reset the Slingbox, reset the router, Set up the router with the router software just like right out of the box. Router does not even recognize that the slingbox is connected to it, even though it's working perfectly with several other computers connected to it, and it recognizes them. We get the "cannot connect" message on Slingplayer 2.0 inside the home network - same as I get here when trying to view over the internet. Slingbox network light is flashing, rather than continuously on. The two devices obviously aren't communicating, and since we know the router is working, it has to be a problem with the Slingbox. We even changed the ethernet wire between the Slingbox and the router - no luck. My guess now is that because the slingbox is 3 years old, and has been on 24/7 for 3 years, it has just simply failed. We worked on it together via Skype for over two hours. Was probably OK at the old location as long as it was powered, but disconnecting for several days, then powering up again may have caused some internal fault. Does anyone have any other ideas before I have them go buy me a new Pro HD?

eferz Expert

bigmonkey wrote:

We get the "cannot connect" message on Slingplayer 2.0 inside the home network - same as I get here when trying to view over the internet. Slingbox network light is flashing, rather than continuously on.  The two devices obviously aren't communicating, and since we know the router is working, it has to be a problem with the Slingbox. We even changed the ethernet wire between the Slingbox and the router - no luck.

Flashing isn't that bad.  That usually means that the Slingbox is at least trying to get an IP address but it can't.

I've noticed that Slingbox has a problem getting an IP address from some routers.  Especially the ones that have had the manufacturer firmware replaced with the third-party linux kernal, like DD-WRT or Tomato.  In almost all cases, either a firmware update or returning the to the original manufacturer's firmware resolved the issue.

Another suggestion is to have your people bring the Slingbox home with them.  See if their router will assign a DHCP address to your Slingbox.  If they are able to get an address, then have them configure the Slingbox with a static IP address that is suitable for the router in the new home.  That way they can return and plug back in and not have to worry about DHCP incompatibiliteis.

Finally, as I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

bigmonkey

Thanks eferz.  I sent your suggestions to my friend.  Since I'm using all the same equipment (router, modem, etc.) and everything was working at the old location, and the router still appears to be working, and I'm not aware of any firmware updates (it's a Linksys router, by the way), I'm more inclined to go with the slingbox faulty power supply theory, because I had a power supply go bad on my router over here, and made it appear to be working, but no one could connect to it. If the power is OK, he'll take the slingbox to another router and try to connect to it.

Bryanod Novice

If like me, you (they) could have pluged in the router ps in to the sling and vice versa.   The sling ps will power most all routers but only a few wireless router ps's will power the sling.   what ever is pluged into the sling make sure its 2.5 amps. 

Also try a direct plugin to the wall instead of a power strip