20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2017 8:17 PM by ashleyl3 RSS

How do you get rid of all of the ads?

cbrad001

How do you disable / remove all of the ads in the web player? It stinks that on the web page 1/3 of it is covered with ads.

• Re: How do you get rid of all of the ads?
          bman123456

You can't which is why Slingbox/Slingmedia is being sued via class action lawsuit.  An absolutely horrible corporate decision.  People have owned these products for years, paid for them ad-free, and then Slingbox throws in ads in the webplayer -- taking up a good portion of the viewable window. Thankfully, the stand-alone player doesn't have ads..... yet. 

MagikLair

I guess I won't be buying a Slingbox.

drakedane

thought this discussion was about slingplayer for desktop. but that appears to be within the slingplayer for the web discussion, so not sure if i am in the right place.

i just upgraded my mac, and discovered that, with el capitan, my old slingplayer application no longer plays properly in full screen. so I upgraded to the latest version of the slingplayer for mac. i was surprised by all of the banner ads. But they disappear, once u go full screen, which was the reason i upgraded. so, if i could just click the remote and go into full-screen as soon as the application launches, i wouldn't even complain about the banner ads.

but unfortunately sling apparently anticipated this move and decided to play an actual COMMERCIAL, before allowing me access to these interface options! yes, on mac desktop, we are forced to sit through a commercial, before we are given access to the slingplayer controls. and i am wondering if this is the same for other versions and platforms. so far, i have only seen comments about the banner ads, which are only a minor annoyance.

because of this "commercial on launch", I now mute the audio and open the player a few minutes before i want to watch tv. this means i skip the commercial and can quickly get into full screen, when i return to the player.

ACC4408048

drakedane wrote:

thought this discussion was about slingplayer for desktop. but that appears to be within the slingplayer for the web discussion, so not sure if i am in the right place.

It is. There are both display ads and interstitial ads embedded in the latest desktop Slingplayer for Windows.

tsd

Use this player instead.

http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

It actually works pretty good.

mikecarrick

Hmm. So you need a secret url to get back to the Service Agreement in place when you bought it??

I like it, but why does Slingbox not realize how VILE this **** is?

It's like having an advertiser drop in and take up a place on your couch.

It's basically opening your entertainment to uninvited guests.

to Unwanted intrusion.

to Changing the terms after the purchase.

real honest of them.

W H A T   I S  W R O N G   W I T H  T H E S E    I D I O T S ??
                      I'll use this thing until the urge to take a sledge hammer to their **** kicks in. (any day now)

and thanks for the temporary relief.

IOS Netflix KICKS it's *** incidentally.
                      Slingbox can't sustain a stream for more than about 15 minutes. It disconnects continuously, whereas I watch Netwflix for hours and hours.

tsd

>IOS Netflix KICKS it's *** incidentally.
                          >Slingbox can't sustain a stream for more than about 15 minutes. It disconnects continuously, whereas I watch Netwflix for hours and hours.

Something must be wrong as our house can watch our slingbox, using the link I posted a few posts back, for hours and hours without any disconnects.

unit1079

It's sad, but I have to say...this player is FAR SUPERIOR to the one provided by SlingMedia. Currently, after they made me switch to the extension for Google Chrome, everything stopped working properly. The embedded ads overtake critical parts of the screen, and it's completely unreliable.

I feel very deceived by the decision to start incorporating ads. My wife couldn't really understand it...

"Wait, you bought a physical device, hooked it up to OUR internet and are streaming YOUR PAID FOR TELEVISION SERVICE IN WHICH THERE ARE ALREADY ADS using OUR internet and they are inserting MORE ADS into that?!"

It was hard to even explain that, yes, that is the case.

I had been touting Slingbox to friends and family for years since buying one, but after paying for the box, buying the app on android and paying to upgrade my internet upload speed to watch in HD, I've been cheated by a barely functioning player riddled with ads. If it's a matter of revenue, charge more for the device. This strategy is dishonest. I will encourage others to look at Slingbox alternatives going forward, simply because the company has lost my trust.

As a complete sidenote, Slingbox used to offer live chat and/or a contact email address. Those appear to have been removed with a note that any support issue will cost $30 a pop. I had planned to voice my displeasure to them, but it appears they don't want to hear it.

Great way to treat your customers, guys.

ACC2844250

AWESOME!  THANKS

yukiyongdi

More American corporate greed.

Corporate Officers have no regard for the end user. They're only concern is their quarterly bonus.

Leeches.

Do not purchase another Sling Product again.

This corporation cannot be trusted.

Liars and thieves.

kb2tdu

Y'all do realize Sling was bought by Dish Network, one of the more odious companies in America? They put a lot of money down and their legacy customers have no reason to give them cash because they're fully happy with what they have. Slingbox does not incur any cost to them since it's using your cable / air / dvr, your internet bandwidth, and your paid-for slingbox, but since they have a key to your box via the application and the interface, that's their sole point of leverage and thus they will use that. The BS about developing 'new features' is irrelevant to those of us who bought a box with software that just displayed what we fed into it. Pretty **** sneaky to "update" my client and make the old one disappear or inoperable.  Enjoy what function you can from your box, the Dish folk are not interested in us since we are hard to monetize. Some day they'll pull their key out and our hardware will be orphaned.

ACC221945

Unfortunately better video settings 640x480 and best video setting 1920x540  :-(  

It is nice that you can ask for "Video info"   , right click in the picture and choose video info.

ACC221945

Use Firefox with the AddOn NoScript so you can block ad scripts  and/or add rules to your host file in:  c://windows/system32/drivers/etc . First change the property (right mouse click)  of this host file because it is protected in "only read" . Choose to open this host file with notepad. Than copy paste these rules, which are more than necessary for Sling because I hate adds everywhere.  It is not 100% working ad-free Firefox has the option to inspect elements where you can find the web address of the ad site.

127.0.0.1  googleads.g.doubleclick.net
                                  127.0.0.1  ad-emea.doubleclick.net
                                  127.0.0.1  googlesyndication.com
                                  127.0.0.1  pagead.googlesyndication.com
                                  127.0.0.1  pagead2.googlesyndication.com
                                  127.0.0.1pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js

127.0.0.1    globaltalentstv.com

127.0.0.1  https://s1.2mdn.net
                                  127.0.0.1  https://s0.2mdn.net
                                  127.0.0.1  s1.2mdn.net
                                  127.0.0.1  s0.2mdn.net
                                  127.0.0.1  https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads
                                  127.0.0.1  216.58.219.98:443
                                  127.0.0.1  216.58.219.66:443
                                  127.0.0.1  216.58.219.162:443
                                  127.0.0.1  www.google.com/ads
                                  127.0.0.1  adclick.g.doubleclick.net
                                  127.0.0.1  www.s0.2mdn.net
                                      ACC221945

Because I use a firewall (in Comodo Internet Security) I can see to which IP-addresses the player tries to connect for the adds.

Add these IP-addresses to your Host file, they are all Google add servers ****:

127.0.0.1   54.152.188.135
                                      127.0.0.1   65.153.18.107
                                      127.0.0.1   158.85.224.177

127.0.0.1    172.217.4.98

127.0.0.1    172.217.4.110

127.0.0.1    172.217.4.226

127.0.0.1    172.217.6.34

127.0.0.1   216.58.192.130
                                      127.0.0.1   216.58.192.162
                                      127.0.0.1   216.58.194.34
                                      127.0.0.1   216.58.194.46
                                      127.0.0.1   216.58.194.66