6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2015 2:05 PM by mikesalz RSS

Watch TV at home and mobile simultaniously

mikesalz

I'm pretty sure I should be able to watch TV on the television my slingbox is connected to at the same time that the mobile app is being used.  However, it will always only allow me to watch one or the other.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

• Re: Watch TV at home and mobile simultaniously
          alanrichey42 Master

You should be able to do both, although you obviously have to watch the same channel.   Can you explain the symptoms you are seeing and why you believe you can't ?

mikesalz

Yes.  I have the slingbox connected to the TV via HDMI.  It is connected to the cable box using both HDMI and component (to avoid issues with High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection).

If I am watching on my iPad for example, and then turn on the TV that is connected to the slingbox, it gives a message saying that the slingbox is in use and gives me the option to disconnect the other session so that I can watch on TV.  The same is true vice versa.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, it's HDMI cable I think.  It's a nasty piece of work that can carry all sorts of digital signals to stop you doing what you want to do.  I reckon if you connect the TV from the Component OUT plugs on the Slingbox and watch on that input then the problem will go away.

mikesalz

You could be right... but that seems like a giant bug.  I have searched and searched, and can't seem to find anyone else having this problem.  How is yours set up?  And can you watch locally on your TV and on a mobile device simultaneously?

alanrichey42 Master

I have given up and only use the composite (SD) feed to my Slingbox.  I only use away from home and the internet connection is not good enough for HD anyway,

But you are not alone, in fact almost every single Slingbox owner trying to stream HD has the same problem. For example, if you search the forum you will find that EVERY DirecTV user has this problem as of a few weeks ago and most TV providers are catching on and implementing HDCP.    In a few months, every single Slingbox user will be in the same boat as you.

And to be technical, it isn't a bug (the definition of a bug is something acting differently to the what the programmer intended), this is a 'feature' and it is primarily designed to stop people adding standalone PVRs and recording HD content so they can watch it independently of the TV Provider.  It's just unfortunate that the Slingbox has been caught up in it.

As I said, just ditch the HDMI cables.   There is no downside to this as the component feed still carried HD.   I don't actually understand why people are so reluctant to do it.  Although again, many TV providers are aware of this trick and are actually removing the component output from their devices.  Then you have to resort to using HDMI > Component converters, some being able to strip out the HDCP signal (illegally I guess).  No doubt the TV providers will figure out a solution to that soon.  It's all just a  good game