25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 11:01 AM by scottcfrench RSS

Mac Install Keeps on Looping

sanjif

I've tried installing the web plug-in a number of times on Safari and Firefox.  Each time I get an install successful message but when I restart my browser, the install process kicks off again.  This happens for both Safari and Firefox. 

• Re: Mac Install Keeps on Looping
          eferz Expert

I think its a bug not being able to close out the browsers completely.  Manually close out the browsers completely, and then go back to http://watch.slingbox.com

Apprentice

Hello sanjif, follow the instructions below and then try to access the web site again.

How do I install the Watch on Slingbox.com plug-in? How do I remove it?

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

Winchdude

Had the same problem this morning where the install program says it is complete.  Re-started Firefox like instructed and it goes back into the install mode where it asked if I have already set up a Slingbox.

As with other posters, this kept on looping no matter what I did.  Restarted Firefox, Restarted the computer, uninstalled the plug-in and reinstalled the software, had multiple cups of coffee but nothing helped.

Finally, I upgraded the Firefox software to the latest version (3.6.10 on a MAC) and it now works like a charm.  No more looping and as soon as I opened the new version of Firefox, went to the Slingbox.com and clicked on watch and after logging in, went right into the viewing screen.

Hope this helps.

WingedRyno

How long did it take for the plugin to update?  I'm trying it on Firefox (has been working for 30 minutes now) and on Safari.  No completion message, just clicked the "allow" on the popup and the rotating ajax progress icon keeps spinning....but nothing happens.

Brand new MBP and OX 10.

Winchdude

As soon as I upgraded to the current version of Firefox, I ran the installer and it went right through. Never had any lag in it. It went from question to question without a hitch.

Sounds like yours is hung up on something.  Wish I had a remedy for you but I don't.  I must have just got lucky.

Good luck.

selser

Curious to know if you ever solved your issue with the new MBP with OS X. I was having the same issue and have not been able to resolve, even after spending time with Slingbox tech support on the phone. Tried installing the latest version of Firefox, but it didn't solve the problem. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the way a new MBP is set up? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cannoli

Add me to the list.  Same problem...

OS X 10.6.4 and Firefox 3.6.12

When installing the web plug-in, I click the licenses agreement hen see the step 1, 2, 3 window and a working wheel.  It never installs...

Winchdude

I know this doesn’t help you to install it but I am running the same versions of the software and it works fine on my older MBP.  There must be something that is making it hang.  Like I said in an earlier post, I had the same problem until I updated to the current version of Flash Player.  I believe the installer is all Flash controlled so that must be the problem.  That opinion is coming from someone who is NOT an expert mind you.  Just makes sense to me.

At least you will be able to use the Slingbox by viewing it through their website until the bug is found which is causing the installation problem.

Winchdude

This may help.

If you want to check to see what version of Flash Player your running, go here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help10.html#120000

At the very bottom of the page, in the question:  How can I manually check for updates?

you’ll see a blue link to Flash Player Home.  If you click on that, it will let you know what version your running and also what the most current version is.  Currently it is 10.1.85.3

There is also a link to the installation page for updating.

Sure hope this helps.

scs4159

I had the same problem.  For me, I had to reinstall Safari, then let Watch.slingbox.com reinstall itself.  Now it works on both Safari and Firefox

turbo

Can you do me a favor, can you tell us what versions of FireFox and Adobe Flash you now have after the re-install?  I'm thinking maybe the re-install somehow brings along an older version of Adobe Flash.

scs4159

Firefox:  Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12

Safari:  Version 5.0.2 (6533.18.5)

Flash:   MAC 10,1,85,3

turbo

Sweet, scs4159, works and not sure why, but here's what I did:

• download & reinstall Safari ... Mac will force a restart
                                        • using Safari, go to the Sling site to watch online and install the plug-in ... note, it will look like it *isn't* working, as the Java circle keeps spinning, contrary to the text on the site, there's no pop-up window, etc - I was about to close the browser, but let it sit for ~20 seconds and you'll get the installation complete confirmation screen
                                        • [your choice] either configure Safari to open in 32bit mode to use Sling or just use FireFox and the live viewing should work just fine

Last note, there's a new Flash version out, too - 10,1,102,64 - I confirm that scs4159's fix worked while I was on the older 85 version and still works when upgraded to 102.

scottcfrench

In case this helps anyone, I was having the install looping problem too. I have a somewhat special configuration in that my home directory is on an NFS-mounted drive, which, unlike HFS, is case-sensitive. I noticed that, instead of installing to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins, the installer was installing to ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins (lowercase i on the "ins" part). On HFS that would probably be equivalent and work fine, but on my system I ended up with two different directories. I opened up a Terminal with Terminal.app and ran

cd ~/Library/Internet\ Plug-ins

mv SlingPlayer.plugin ../Internet\ Plug-Ins

Restarted Safari, and everything worked ok.

Scott