3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2010 3:23 PM by eferz RSS

Slingbox AV wont receive signal from router

patmahoney123

I have tried all of the suggestions that ive seen online and i cant get it to receive a signal. i have a slingbox av and i have followed the steps exactly as it says. when i plug the slingbox into the router it blinks for a few seconds then it goes off. i have a verizon fios router. i also already have the software and things on my mac but it doesnt see the router, because the slingbox isnt picking up the internet from the router obviously... Also, we have a few slingplayers at my house and they easily picked up the internet when we plugged them in so im not sure why the slingbox isnt picking up the router. any help would be great.

• Re: Slingbox AV wont receive signal from router
          eferz Expert

Actually, I'm a little confused at your description.  I'm not sure what you're referring to in relation to "seeing the router".  The Slingplayer (client software) and Slingbox (server hardware) have very different relationships with your router.

Let me start with what I think you might be saying.  It sounds like the Slingbox AV is not on the network.  You can verify that by looking at the network LED on the Slingbox AV.  If it is lit then it has an IP address, if it is blinking then it is requesting an IP address, if it is off then it has timed out and does not currently have an IP address.

Sometimes even when the Slingbox has an IP address, it might be one left over from an old router.  So, in most cases performing a factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html) will typically alleviate the issue.  This will wipe out any previous configuration on the Slingbox, and allow it to obtain a new DHCP address from your router.

Once the Slingbox has a valid IP, then you can use the Slingplayer to configure it.  However, until the Slingbox has a working IP address for your network there is nothing else you can do it.

patmahoney123

you have my question correct, however, i have tried this before, and had no luck. i tried it again just to make sure, and it flashed as the article described however at the end the network light just went off and was not connected

eferz Expert

There are a few posibilites for your situation.

It could be that there's a conflict with your router not being able to assign an IP address to it.  If this is the case, might try to see f there are any firmware updates for the router.  They might have already fixed it in a firmware update, but your router is at a different revision level.

Another way to get around that issue to try the Slingbox with another router.  Perhaps you can bring it to a friend's or a neighbor's home to see if the Slingbox will get an IP address from their router.  If that's the case then maybe setting up a static IP address while there will avoid the conflict with your own router until the manufacturer releases a fix.

Lastly, as I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox AV, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any improvement.