5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2010 2:24 PM by eferz RSS

I am very lost someone please crack an egg of knowledge on me!

ludachris1982

Ok I will bullet point this and hopefully someone or multiple people can disect this for me and set me on the right path..

I am looking to buy a sling box probably standard definition... Basically what I am hoping to do is instead of paying 50 a month for cable while I am away at school I would just but a slingbox and use my home cable...

1. Is a cablebox the only vessel to transmit a signal out from or would a DVD player with a cable output rca jacks work?

2. I want to be able to want to be able to output my signal from my laptop to a standard def tube tv, I have RCA jacks and a S-Video on the TV, and USBs and an HDMI Output on the laptop how can I make this work?

3. Once setup if there any balckout restrictions... Would I be able to watch a Cleveland Browns feed of the home cable in Lansing Michigan?

4. If I but the Slingbox PRO and can hookup all the components in one room is there any other products I would need to but or is that everything?

• Re: I am very lost someone please crack an egg of knowledge on me!
          ludachris1982

Please excuse the multitude of spelling mistakes.. Ahh I can spell words correctly, just not the ones I intended on using

• Re: I am very lost someone please crack an egg of knowledge on me!
            eferz Expert

ludachris1982 wrote:

I am looking to buy a sling box probably standard definition... Basically what I am hoping to do is instead of paying 50 a month for cable while I am away at school I would just but a slingbox and use my home cable...

By this, I'm guessing your parent's home. 

ludachris1982 wrote:

1. Is a cablebox the only vessel to transmit a signal out from or would a DVD player with a cable output rca jacks work?

Any video source that has baseband connectors (i.e, Left & Right Audio, Composite, S-Video or Component), can be restreamed over the network.

ludachris1982 wrote:

2. I want to be able to want to be able to output my signal from my laptop to a standard def tube tv, I have RCA jacks and a S-Video on the TV, and USBs and an HDMI Output on the laptop how can I make this work?

Your device will need to be able to output the signal, its usualy up the OS and hardware whether or not this can be done.  In most cases, its just a matter of connecting the cables, enabling the output, and dragging a window.

ludachris1982 wrote:

3. Once setup if there any balckout restrictions... Would I be able to watch a Cleveland Browns feed of the home cable in Lansing Michigan?

The only restrictions is whatever the set-top box implies.  It is actually a pretty common occurance that set-top boxes using HDMI or other approved HDCP digital connection will often shutdown or disrupt the analog connection.  The work around is to use not use HDMI but another other connections like component if this happens to affect your particular situation.

ludachris1982 wrote:

4. If I but the Slingbox PRO and can hookup all the components in one room is there any other products I would need to but or is that everything?

As I understand theSlingbox Pro has been discontinued in the states.  The Slingbox Pro-HD and the Slingbox Solo are still available though.  You might need to buy various audio and video cables to connect the set-top box to the Slingbox.  I think my Pro-HD came with the Left and Right Audio Cables and composite (maybe even the S-Video cable) but I had to buy the component cables seperately.