3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2015 11:41 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Can HTML Commands to DirecTV DVR be Alternate to IR Blaster?

sgratke
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Sometime ago, I learned to use html command protocols  to send  remote control commands (based on DirecTV STEF) to our DirecTV HR24 HD DVRs.  I am considering getting a M2 and leaving the IR Blaster in the box because our DVRs use RF.  This means I would like to control the DVR  with my html command protocol process running Over the Internet on the same network as the DVR and M2.  I would use the Google  Chrome Remote Desktop Extention to handle execution of the html commands.  I have documented my "Will it Work" approach at http://kathyicingonthecake.com/gratkestuff/sgpc/directv/htmlremote/dvr-command.html .  So, could it work?

• Re: Can HTML Commands to DirecTV DVR be Alternate to IR Blaster?
          alanrichey42 Master

Not sure why you think this is a problem?   All the Slingbox does is send the output from the DVR over the internet/LAn to be intercepted by a Slingplayer.  You don't have to control the Slingbox at all.   All you have to do is control the DVR and you appear to have managed that already ?

• Re: Can HTML Commands to DirecTV DVR be Alternate to IR Blaster?
              sgratke

Thanks for your reply.  I am sorry I did not explain very well what I was doing and what my question was.  Also, my link to my description may have led to a too long explanation - sorry.  The Slingbox sending IR commands is NOT in my question.  My DVRs are set to RF and that works so much better than IR (I've used DirecTV since 1997 and Slingbox AV since 2008 .).  So, I will not send IR via the Slingbox which is its only capability.  My question relates to a method of sending commands to the DVRS without using RF or IR.  The Slingbox would have nothing to do with commanding the DVRs!  That said, there are two "over the Internet connections" going on at the same time with the home LAN - my question should have been has anybody had experience on this dual connect.  One connection is video/audio being sent over the net from the home LAN by the Slingbox M2 (which I have yet to get and am looking for anybody with experience in this) and the other connection being "clicks" sent from the remote location over the net to the home LAN using the Google Chrome Remote Desktop Extension so that my at home IPCP Remote on a at home PC sends html commands to the DVRs within the home LAN.  I suspect the DirecTV Genie Go uses this html command method to control DVRs.  I would prefer the Slingbox M2 over the Genie Go so that led to my question.