19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2016 4:43 PM by TXNole55 RSS

Native Slingplayer for NEW Apple TV (4th Generation), Release?

smswings14

Has anyone heard if there is going to be a release for the new Apple Tv? This would be a nice feature to have on the Apple Tv. Would love for it to happen!

• Re: Native Slingplayer for NEW Apple TV (4th Generation), Release?
          ekbsrk Newbie

Dont hold your breath. There isnt even support for any of the other new 2015 streamers: Rolu 4, Chromecast 2, Fire TV.

smswings14

That's a shame. I would even pay a price for a native app for these devices. That way it doesn't drain my phone battery when I want to multitask on my phone. Hopefully there is something in the works or that someone realizes a need for these apps. It would be a great time for slingbox to get ahead of the game in the streaming world.

ACC6489308

As far as I know the Amazon Fire TV does have a Sling app that supports direct streaming from the SlingBox.  I saw the app on the current generation Fire TV apps page and SlingBox customer support said the Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick were the only boxes that did native streaming.  I was going to purchase Fire TV last week until I saw the extremely large number of poor reviews being written by previous generation Fire TV customers who were very disappointed with the newer generation.  Then I remembered New Apple TV was going to begin shipping at the end of this week.  I am ready to order one, but I also wanted to get confirmation the Sling app would be available on it for native streaming.  From what I have read on the Apple site, it appears the New Apple TV app store is accessible through the New Apple TV and I haven't found a way to access a list of New Apple TV apps elsewhere.  I know the New Apple TV uses a different OS from the iPhone and iPad, but I am hoping since those apps exist that one has already been developed for New Apple TV.

Since it appears you must have a New Apple TV to see the list of available apps, have you received yours and does it list SlingPlayer yet?

mbial

Sling team - can you at least respond to your customers' widespread desire for a dedicated Slingplayer app for the new Apple TV?  If you would at least let us know whether the software is in development, it could help many of your customers with their media streamer buying decisions.  Thanks for your feedback!

tgwaste

This really needs to happen.  It should not take that much work to port the phone version over to appleTV.  This will determine if I remain a Sling Customer for sure.

ACC5488045

It seems that Slingbox is behind the curve in coming up with new innovation: I mean, they come a year afterwards with a new app and even the apps they do develop seem crippled (remote doesn't work).

They seem to be a hardware company realizing that software is what runs the world and the developers they have are weak and write poor code that requires 10 or more updates to get a stable release out there. 

The 4th generation Apple TV has a very versatile remote and taking advantage of that should be a requirement rather than asking customers to use their phone to control the app!

strunkkl

It's a shame. The hardware is fantastic. I would think it would be worth it for Slingbox to hire an experienced software developer for the iOS platform. Especially just reading through these posts, a number of us are willing to spend money on a new Apple TV app, including me.

Cannot wait for app to be released, if it ever is...

OvCollyer Apprentice

Yep.

They'll probably eventually get around to releasing a half-baked ATV4 version but they won't support it properly - at some point it'll stop working, maybe after a tvOS update or something like that.

thebostonlady

Seriously. The fact that they didn't immediately jump on the chance to become tvOS market leaders is just incredibly stupid and a huge lost opportunity. Who is running this company?! They missed a huge chance and have lost out on a lot of potential customers as a result. I waited 3 months for them to make an announcement, but I'm done waiting. Their competitors will suit just fine for my needs.

apanek

I have been using Sling streaming devices for over 10 years.  Started with the SD 300 sling device to stream cable from my primary home to a vacation home connected to a ReplayTV.  When the Slingcatcher was released, I purchased two of these as this was the perfect solution to not be tied to my laptop to control Sling and interface with my TV using a standard remote.   I used one Slingcatcher at my vacation property and one at home to stream to my master bedroom.  

About 2 years ago, I retired the 300 and purchased a Sling 350 so I could have HD.   I used a WD Live TV as the streamer which had the app built in -- worked great for sometime, but SlingMedia stop supporting it on WD and now it frequently disconnects with a 500 error.    WD no longer makes the LiveTV so I think its fair that Sling would no longer support it. 

I now use my Ipad and airplay to AppleTV which works fairly well.  I now own 3 Apple TVs including a 4.  I have Comcast and use the xfinity remote app to change channels once the Sling 350 is streaming to the AppleTV. 

I would also really like to see a native AppleTV 4 app and don't understand why Sling would not invest money to develop this.  Sling makes a fantastic streaming device.  Apple, Roku and Amazon are the market leaders.   Make it easy for your customers to use the product with the market leading device streamers.  Not having a app for AppleTV is a big mistake. 

Thanks - Adrian

thebostonlady
                                Well. That's it folks. Sling just tweeted that they're not developing a new Apple TV app. Guess I won't be buying one then. Seriously.....this company is so monumentally stupid. Whoever makes these decisions is just downright negligent.  They could have easily had my money....but no.   Link to tweet: Slingbox on Twitter: "@nicksauer24 Hi Nick! At this time, we are not working on a new Apple TV app."