4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2015 4:39 PM by jmendezallwood RSS

Slingbox 500 remote control

rodrigoven
    Visibility: Open to anyone

What is the best way to control a sling box with a remote control? I'm aware of the chromecast feature, but I wish to provide a psychical remote to a old person so he can watch my slingbox overseas, I saw the Slingbox 500 remote control but I can't find what is good for, ineither thing it allows to control a sling overseas (correct me if I'm wrong please) also the slingcatcher seem to be very outdated and no wifi coverage, any suggestions much welcome. (I have slingbox 500)

• Re: Slingbox 500 remote control
          jmendezallwood

Rodrigo, It is very anoying to manage your slingbox with the fisical remotes that comes with apple tv, amazon fite etc. but I found the Western Digital Box has the best remote.   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1270#Tab3

To change the channel you only need to type the number on the wd remote control.

The wd TV, is very reliable.  Just be shure to set your slingbox with TCP and your upload is higher. 

rodrigoven

Hi, first of all I would like to thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Regard WD remote, can you use channel up/down keys like a regular cable tv control? Use guide? Thanks again.

Saludos cordiales,

Rodrigo Ventura R.

El 13-10-2015, a las 9:43 a.m., jmendezallwood <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox 500 remote control

reply from jmendezallwood in Rodrigo Ventura - View the full discussion

Rodrigo, It is very anoying to manage your slingbox with the fisical remotes that comes with apple tv, amazon fite etc. but I found the Western Digital Box has the best remote.   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1270#Tab3

To change the channel you only need to type the number on the wd remote control.

The wd TV, is very reliable.  Just be shure to set your slingbox with TCP and your upload is higher.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Rodrigo Ventura by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Slingbox 500 remote control in these streams: Inbox

jmendezallwood

No you can't switch channel up/down with remote control. 

Yes the reomte has numerical keypad and you just need to type the channel number and it would change.

One thing you have to keep in mind, is that when you get into the wd box you can display a menu that has the tv guide, the channel up/down, power on/off, and lot of other things (like roku, apple tv, fire etc) but in order to navigate in that menu you need to use your remote cursor, and that is extremely annoying because it has a long delay. (you type something in your reciever, then it will communicate with your slingbox, your slingbox will tell your cable box what you want, the cable box will execute the order, then your slingbox send to de reciever what you ordered)   That’s why I don’t be worry about the channel up/down, because even if you have it directly in the remote control, it would take you a loonng time to switch more than one channel up or down.  The best way is to know which channels you like to watch, or have the tv guide on your laptop and only type that exact channel.

Im sorry for my english/