4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2010 8:36 PM by eferz RSS

Still Having Problems setting Slingbox up for internet viewing

jackmoran

I have tried everything - but with no luck.  I have a wireless internet router, from our local phone Company - Frontier Communications - the router is a Siemens Gigaset..the sling works fine - using the router's wi-fi, but can get it to get on the internet.  Phone someone can help me with any suggestions...I contacted Frontier, but they said they couldn't help me...Thanks So Much

• Re: Still Having Problems setting Slingbox up for internet viewing
          idahojoec

I also have frontier communications as a ISP.  I called and was told 5001 is not blocked but when I do a port check it says it is blocked.  Any help or suggestions would be great.

As an FYI I have internet in my apartment and I have a switch in my apartment.  I can access my slingbox fine over the lan but can not set up internet viewing

eferz Expert

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
              Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
              Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
              Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

idahojoec

eferz,

Thank you for your response.

I think my main problem is that the internet is provided by the building and I do not have access to the router or its configuration.

I called them and they told me that all ports (including 5001) are open and they are not blocking any ports.  But perhaps i need to ask a different question.  i am not sure what I should be asking them to do.

But when I check via some online tools it says the port is not open??  they insist it is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help

eferz Expert

The confusion is based on how incoming and outgoing ports are handled.

I believe your building has a single IP public address which is shared by many network devices through Network Address Translation (NAT).  In this situation if the connection originates from with the private network then the router's NAT understands that there's a "trusted" connection.  It will expect that outgoing port communication be responded in kind from an outside source.  It does this by keeping a table of open connection between the internet and the private network.

If the connection originates from outside the network then it is handled differently.  The firewall is doing what it is supposed to do.  It is keeping unsolicited communication from entering your network.  Since the connection didn't originate from inside the network, there are no list of open connections.  No trust.  It doesn't understand where in the private network this information needs to be forwarded.  So, instead it drops it.

This is where port fowarding comes into play.  Port forwarding rules prestablishes a "trust" where any incoming data directed to a specific port for the shared public IP address will be arbitrarily redirected to a specific private IP address.