11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2016 3:39 PM by BillDCat RSS

App for new Amazon FireTV box

eoinm1986

Hi

I have just got the new the new Amazon FireTV box but the old Slingbox app does not work on the new Amazon FireTV box. Is there any plans to update the app to work on the new Amazon FireTV box?

Thanks,

Eoin

• Re: App for new Amazon FireTV box
          hugues

I hope it comes in less than 30 days.  I only bought the Fire TV because I wanted the SlingPlayer without using my Android to Sling over Roku.  Please say it's coming!

eoinm1986

Well that was quick as I am able to download the SlingPlayer app on the FireTV 2!!!

bp1

Slingbox Chat 'said' today they are working on the problem.  Today being Nov. 18th.  Supposedly there will be a posting to this community 'when' they get app working properly with the new 2nd generation of Fire TV.

tab1122
                This morning I received the Amazon Fire Stick OS version 5.0.3.2 and the update has included the connection glitch fix for Slingplayer.  I am not sure if it is available on the new box or 4K versions.  To get the update, click the System tab, then About, then click down to system update.  The new update takes about 10 minutes to install and optimizes system storage and updates applications.  The active version on Slinplayer for FireTV is v.3.0.5.  I don't know if there are any improvements to Slingplayer streaming or other features as I will test that now, but at least I get a signal on a device without the awkward cell phone or tablet hand off to run. Maybe it helped to elevate the issue to both Sling Media and Amazon senior management, who knows.  Not sure where the issue was (either the Fire Stick or Sling). 
                    bp1

Please update as you gain some experience with the new app.

tab1122
                        There does not seem to be any new enhancements to the Slingplayer.  My primary hope was that the streaming quality would automatically update versus the manual pop up that allows you to upgrade or downgrade the quality, or ignore any quality change.  Here are the pros:  the Slingplayer app does not require the cluncky tablet or phone handoff that Roku requires, provides a good quality stream wirelessly, but rarely do I get the best quality stream, but not important to me for how I use it.  The interface is identical to the interface on other streaming devices like the WD Live device. Plus you get all of the other apps available for fire TV.  Cons:  it does not appear that the software takes advantage of the enhanced processor, memory, or voice controls (as of now) that are available in the new Fire Stick with voice command.  Biggest disappointment is that the buffering and automatic quality control that Roku provides is not available yet on Amazon's hew hardware.  If you don't mind the tablet/phone handoff process, I would recommend Roku.  Bottom line, we still do not have the ideal connected device hardware for Slingbox reception, you have to pick your poison.
                            bp1

THANK YOU very much for the update.  As I can't stand the Roku requirement to use phone, I'll try the Fire TV version 2!

I have an old WD TV Live (no longer supported by Sling) and a first generation Fire TV -- that are getting very hard to purchase.

Need one additional connection to my slingboxes (2 '500s').  Based on your review -- I'll give the new Fire TV (2) a try.  (I only use Fire TVs for connecting to slingbox)

BillDCat

Today 6/23/2016 the Sling app is no longer a download on the Fire TV Stick and does not function.  Did Amazon drop Sling?????