53 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 5:40 PM by javab0y RSS

Remote not working for RCA DTC100

javab0y Newbie

I have had the SLingPLay on different devices for a long time. However, it seems that recently, the newer software is not working with a DirecTV RCA DTC100.  The Mac desktop works fine as does the online/web version with my setup, but I cannot get the SlingPlayer for Android (or iPhone) for that matter to change channels.  I have tried wiping out the data in hopes that it would re-download my settings, but this doesn't help.  Anyone have any suggestions on getting this to work?

• Re: Remote not working for RCA DTC100
          javab0y Newbie

Probably a bit more info to add... I am using a SlingBox PRO.  The device I am using is for the S-Video.  Interesting thing to note... both the Web and Mac Desktop show an RCA DTC100 but the SlingPlayer Mobile(s) just show "RCA Satellite".  Not sure if there is a bug in getting the DTC100 remote codes to the SlingPlayer Mobile??

alanrichey42 Master

Not sure who is going to take the lead on this one yet, me or 'eferz'.   But initially we both want the same thing.

Can you confirm you setup using 'Satellite', 'RCA' & 'DCT100' and that you get the basic generic remote displaying ?  Or do you get a proper picture of the real remote ?

We are going to have move you temporarily to a Custom Remote build that we can play around with.  Please try the Test Remote I have built and confirm it works OK on the PC and still exhibits the same problem on the Android.

Al

javab0y Newbie

I can confirm I did the setup using using "DTC100" under "RCA"... not DCT...  however, I have gone back and loaded DCT100 as per your instructions. Yes, I indeed get a generic style remote (and always have BTW).

I downloaded the remote zip file you included.  I have a Mac and followed the instructions as in the README file.  I copied the bin files and the RCA\ DCT100.rmdu to the /Applications/SlingPlayer.app/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/SBAV. I selected  "Satellite/Free-To -Air Receiver", "Other(Not In This List)" as the manufacturer and there unfortunately is no "Custom" after the Code numbers... So I am kind of stuck at this juncture.  The last item in the Code list is "Code 98".

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for your help. ;-)

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

I copied the bin files and the RCA\ DCT100.rmdu to the /Applications/SlingPlayer.app/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/SBAV. I selected  "Satellite/Free-To -Air Receiver", "Other(Not In This List)" as the manufacturer and there unfortunately is no "Custom" after the Code numbers... So I am kind of stuck at this juncture.  The last item in the Code list is "Code 98".

OK, you obviously didn't read the README file well enough     you only need the BIN files in the \SBAV\ folder.  And actually the 'Custom' is the PC method, but is there not a window underneath the Codes saying 'Alternative Code' ?   That is where you put in the S2010.  (I must update the Readme files to reflect that)

Try again.

javab0y Newbie

Well I did read it well enough.  I included the RMDU file... *after* trying the bin files only assuming that maybe you wanted that to since that did not work.  Notice I said "Mac"... so yes, it would be difficult for me to infer what "Custom" means when following instructions :-/  Sorry... not trying to be an *ss... but you are assuming and you know that old "*** - u - me" saying applies ;-)  Lets reset and be nice...ok?

Ok... back on track...

I loaded it and it does not work well on the Mac.  I cannot change the channels.  I can change the numbers but I need the "Ok" or space bar to change and that function seems not to work.  On the Android, still bad... numbers kinda work... not all go through... seems to sometimes get them and sometimes not.

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

I loaded it and it does not work well on the Mac.  I cannot change the channels.  I can change the numbers but I need the "Ok" or space bar to change and that function seems not to work.  On the Android, still bad... numbers kinda work... not all go through... seems to sometimes get them and sometimes not.

OK, that is unusual, normally these remotes either work or they don't.   The fact that the numbers work show we have the right IR Protocol and the right Device numbers, so in theory everything should work,   I should point out that as I don't have access to your remote I loaded the device on my Harmony Universal Remote and learnt the codes from that.  Trouble is the entries in the Harmony database are produced by users so there is no guarantee they are correct.

Can you tell me EXACTLY which commands work and which do not ?

javab0y Newbie

Sure.  Ok... I redid it.  Your test remote seems to work fine on the mac.

On the Android:

The numbers mostly work.  Unfortunately, in order to change the channel, the "Ok" button needs to be hit.  Even if I rapidly change the numbers, hit enter, then quickly show the D-Pad and it "Ok", the receiver seems to see these as 2 completely separate functions, and the "Ok" goes into the menu.

I think if we can somehow get the channels to change through the numbers, this may be mostly solved.

As a side note... on my real remote (the physical one), if I punch in 4 numbers, it changes automatically.  However, with the soft remotes, the 4 numbers does not change the channel automatically.  If I use 5 numbers, it just rolls over.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, not sure there is much we can do about the number behaviour, but do I understand that the ChUp/ChDn buttons on the Android do not work as advertised ?

Does anything happen when you tap them ?

javab0y Newbie

ChUp and ChDown in Misc as well as the gestures seem to work ok.

Need to get numerical changing to work... nothing worse than my kid enjoying Sprout at or about 298 an I want to watch HBO on 501... that is a lot of key presses :-(

Thanks again in advance for your help.

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, I might have been wasting your time.  We have had other reports of the Ch+/- buttons not working and when you said in your original post you couldn't change channels I assumed you had the same problem.  I didn't realise you were having trouble with the number buttons as no-one else has reported that.

I'm not sure there is anything we can to change that aspect as I think it is built into the firmware.   Although when you installed the original remote, and my Custom Remote did you get the option of selecting Fast/med/Slow for Channel inputs ?

javab0y Newbie

Actually, your remote enabled the ChUp/ChDown, which is a good thing.

Yes... it asked for Fast/Slow?Med and I tried all of them with Med being the best.  I just need that "Ok" button with respect to the numbers and Im home free ;-)

alanrichey42 Master

You will have to bear with me a bit as I haven't seen the DTC100 remote or Slingplayer for Android, but when you have entered the Channel numbers why do you have press 'Enter' and then 'OK' ?

If we mapped the 'OK' code to the 'Enter' button would that cure the problem ?

javab0y Newbie

Yes!  If you make Ok == Enter, we have a winner ;-)

alanrichey42 Master

But this is Sling's implementation so we have no guarantee that Enter = Enter

How about this one ?

javab0y Newbie

Alan,

First of all... you work too late ;-)

Second...

Ok... that fixed some serious stuff on the Mac/Web....that made a huge difference... but not for Android :-(  Can yu get the Android's "Enter" on the number keypad == Ok?  That would do it ;-)

javab0y Newbie

Alan,

BTW... if you want to contact me off line, I would be happy to give you temp access to my machine so you dont have to do a trial and error.  Feel free to contact me if you think that will be easier for you.

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

Alan,

BTW... if you want to contact me off line, I would be happy to give you temp access to my machine so you dont have to do a trial and error.  Feel free to contact me if you think that will be easier for you.

No point, it's the Android version we are trying to fix.

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

Alan,

Ok... that fixed some serious stuff on the Mac/Web....that made a huge difference... but not for Android :-(  Can yu get the Android's "Enter" on the number keypad == Ok?  That would do it ;-)

Sorry, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.   Remember I have never seen an Android.  You must explain EXACTLY what you mean with lots of descriptions.

But first, let me try and explain what is going on.   On the MAC version of the remote each function is mapped to a specific button and with the default remote that is easy, as the functions match the buttons, i.e. Page Up goes on the PageUp button.  And if there are any extra functions left over then we put them in the Custom Menu,

Now, when Sling built the Android version of Slingplayer you would logically think that they would do the same and make each button map the same function wouldn't you ?.  Unfortunately they didn't, so we have no idea what mapping code they have used for the Enter button.  Apparently it wasn't 'Enter'.  And they will never tell us which one they used.  No idea why but that appears to be Company policy, not to assist in any way.

Now there are a total of 80 codes that they could have used, although they won't have used the standard ones (play, pause, up, down...).  That leaves us with about 20 spare codes we need to check.   So all I can do is put a code into each of those 20 and you can see which one is triggered by the 'Enter' button.

But can you confirm that tapping the Enter button at the moment has no effect ?    (You've 20 mins before I go to bed )

javab0y Newbie

Ok... so on the Android (and iPhone)... there is a keypad for the remote and an "Enter" button on this keypad.  You type the numbers for the channel you want and then press the "Enter" on screen button on the number pad.  That "submits" the numbers to the IRD (Sat).  That "Enter" button on screen is what needs to become "Ok".  I can probably submit a screen shot if that would help.

javab0y Newbie

You know... maybe... just maybe... if you can enable the "Hit enter after changing channel" option on your new remote with that enter key mapped as ok... perhaps that will work?  Can you give me a remote that gives me the option to enable that?

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

You know... maybe... just maybe... if you can enable the "Hit enter after changing channel" option on your new remote with that enter key mapped as ok... perhaps that will work?  Can you give me a remote that gives me the option to enable that?

Again, I am sure you know what you are talking about but I haven't a clue   Sorry.

What about the latest files ?

javab0y Newbie

Answered above... hope you see my answer...

alanrichey42 Master

Ok, I think we are fighting a losing battle here.  Without an Android in front of me I am totally lost.   I still don't fully understand the logic of what is going on.

If you tap out 501 on the MAC remote am I right in saying that you then press the 'OK' button (the one in the middle of the arrows) and that 'submits' the channel number and the box switches channels ?

If so, you are now telling me that tapping out 501 on the Android and then tapping 'Enter' also 'submits' the channel ?

Or doesn't the box then switch channels ?  So you then need to pull up the D-Pad and press 'OK' to finalise the action ?

Surely in that case the 'Enter' key isn't doing anything ?

Sorry, now totally confused with what the problem actually is.   Can you write a thesis on it and give me as much information as you possibly can to explain the problem?

I'll revisit it in the morning.

Cheers

Al

javab0y Newbie

Ok... so you kindly mapped the Ok button as Enter in the set of files before last.  That was awesome.  The problem we need to get past is during the remote setup, there is an option to "Hit enter after entering chnnel" or something along those lines.  In the remote files you gave me, that option is completely grayed out.  If you map the Ok == Enter like before and you enable that option during the setup, I think we may hit paydirt.

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

Ok... so you kindly mapped the Ok button as Enter in the set of files before last.  That was awesome.  The problem we need to get past is during the remote setup, there is an option to "Hit enter after entering chnnel" or something along those lines.  In the remote files you gave me, that option is completely grayed out.  If you map the Ok == Enter like before and you enable that option during the setup, I think we may hit paydirt.

Sorry, I have absolutely no control over that option.   As I said before the ONLY thing I can do is put different functions onto buttons, the rest is down to Sling. 

eferz Expert

Sorry, to barge in... but I think he's under the assumption that you've disassociated the the "Ok" IR function from the "Enter" button keymap.  I'm assuming from his response that part worked out well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be present in the last set of files you've given him.

I believe he's hoping that this feature from the Setup Assistant...

video_sourcesa.jpg

Will hit the enter key for him when he uses this keypad (provided he choses "Yes")

6a00d8341c67b753ef013484eef070970c-800wi.jpg

The enter key on the above keypad instructs the Slingplayer Mobile client to send the numbers which are queued in the box above.  It is not like other clients where pressing the button immediately sends signals to the Slingbox.

At least, that's what I've gathered from reading your conversation.

alanrichey42 Master

eferz wrote:

Sorry, to barge in...

Feel free, I'm climbing the wall on this one

eferz wrote:

but I think he's under the assumption that you've disassociated the the "Ok" IR function from the "Enter" button keymap.  I'm assuming from his response that part worked out well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be present in the last set of files you've given him.

No, that mapping stayed in the latest version.   All I did was fill in all the unused buttons with numbers.

eferz wrote:

I believe he's hoping that this feature from the Setup Assistant...

Will hit the enter key for him when he uses this keypad (provided he chooses "Yes")

Agreed, but I have no idea how we force Setup Assistant to generate this page.  Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.   Any idea what triggers it ?

eferz wrote:

6a00d8341c67b753ef013484eef070970c-800wi.jpg

The enter key on the above keypad instructs the Slingplayer Mobile client to send the numbers which are queued in the box above.  It is not like other clients where pressing the button immediately sends signals to the Slingbox.

So your saying that the 'Enter' button is not actually a button we can map something to, it is a built-in function of the Slingplayer Mobile we can't control ?   Actually that makes sense as the '.' button next to it does not appear on the keymap either.   Maybe it is the fact it is called 'Enter' that made me think it was equivalent to the 'Enter' button on the remote. 

So what we are seeing on that screen is a module in Slingplayer Mobile for Android that works independantly of the remote system, and is designed to 'build' the channel number before sending it to the remote system.

If that is the case we are 'screwed'

javab0y Newbie

eferz, Thanks for chiming in... yes you were spot on on all counts... and your final findings are what I was afraid of :-(

The "Enter" key on the mobile phones seems to just submit the numbers to the IRD.  Hence I see the numbers change on the IRD, but it then needs to be followed by an "Ok".  It was my hope that we could map the Android's "Enter" key to an "Ok", henceforth it would both submit my typed numbers to the IRD *and* hit the OK button.  Since this cannot be done, maybe this is a bug in the mobile versions (yes the iPhone has the exact same problem).  Interestingly enough, on older SlingPlayer Mobile versions for other phones (MS Mobile), it used to work like a champ.  Dunno what changed :-(

The saving grace here is I am somewhat able to get the numbers to change now and there seems to be a very very small time that if I submit the numbers and quickly switch over to the D-Pad I can hit the Ok and get the IRD to change the channel.  However, that seems to work 1 in 10 times as it cant be too quickly and it cant be too long.  Its very timing dependent.

Anyways... thanks much for both of your guys' help here and taking your time to help out.  Maybe the SlingTeam will see this problem and give an update.  In the mean time, I'll be toting the laptop around to watch ;-)

alanrichey42 Master

javab0y wrote:

Interestingly enough, on older SlingPlayer Mobile versions for other phones (MS Mobile), it used to work like a champ.  Dunno what changed

It's a brand new program.   I suspect the only thing that Slingplayer Mobile Iphone, Slingplayer Mobile Android, Slingplayer Mobile Windows Mobile and Slingplayer Mobile Symbian have in common is the words "Slingplayer Mobile" in the title

Anyways... thanks much for both of your guys' help here and taking your time to help out.  Maybe the SlingTeam will see this problem and give an update.  In the mean time, I'll be toting the laptop around to watch ;-)

Sorry we couldn't fix the problem.   But I wouldn't hold your breath for Slingmedia to react.  I (and lots of other people) have been waiting months for the Symbian version to be made to work on Edition 5 phones.

Cheers

Al

eferz Expert

Okay, before you give up.  Let me give it a go, shall we?  My idea is to assign the number functions to various buttons in the MISC section.  That way the Android remote functions a little more like the Desktop remote.

Also, I'd like to try and figure out why the option is greyed out for you in the Setup Assistant section.  My guess, is that it is either due to a missing button assignement or because of the setup code.

Before you apply these files to your Slingbox, I would recommend that you take a picture of the MISC section of the Andriod remote.  Try to make the text readable, so we can read the little buttons.  Then after you upload the files to your Slingbox then take another picture for comparison.  You'll see that there is now several additional buttons available in the MISC section.  But, I'm not sure what they're going to be labeled as since that part is hidden away in the vault of Sling.

Because this type of hackery involved, I believe it is important you understand what I'm seeing.  So, I'm including the button keymap to IR function pairing table below.  What you see below how we can define the pairing between the button and the IR code.

Each button is associated to a keymap which is defined on the left column.  Each assigned pairing will contain values in both Keymap and Function rows.  If the function row is blank then it does not have a pairing.

Unfortunately not every button "label" matches the keymap "label" on every client.  So, that's why its important you see my changes.  Also, this help you understand the magic of what I am or not capable of accomplishing.

I've highlighted in red my changes from the original RMDU file that Alan provided earliest in this thread.

KeymapFunction
                                                                                                                  num_00
                                                                                                                  num_11
                                                                                                                  num_22
                                                                                                                  num_33
                                                                                                                  num_44
                                                                                                                  num_55
                                                                                                                  num_66
                                                                                                                  num_77
                                                                                                                  num_88
                                                                                                                  num_99
                                                                                                                  VOL+
                                                                                                                  VOL-
                                                                                                                  Mute
                                                                                                                  CH+channel up
                                                                                                                  CH-channel down
                                                                                                                  Powerpower
                                                                                                                  Power_On
                                                                                                                  Power_Off
                                                                                                                  Playplay
                                                                                                                  Pausepause
                                                                                                                  rewindrewind
                                                                                                                  ffwdfast fwd
                                                                                                                  Stopstop
                                                                                                                  Recordrecord
                                                                                                                  tv/vcrtvvideo
                                                                                                                  External
                                                                                                                  Menumenu
                                                                                                                  Setuphome
                                                                                                                  up_arrowup arrow
                                                                                                                  down_arrowdown arrow
                                                                                                                  left_arrowleft arrow
                                                                                                                  right_arrowright arrow
                                                                                                                  Selectselect
                                                                                                                  Guideprogram guide
                                                                                                                  Slow
                                                                                                                  Infodisplay
                                                                                                                  Skip+advance
                                                                                                                  Skip-replay
                                                                                                                  Cancelreturn
                                                                                                                  Last_chlast (prev ch)
                                                                                                                  Formatformat
                                                                                                                  Eject
                                                                                                                  Favmy shows
                                                                                                                  100
                                                                                                                  exitexit
                                                                                                                  Livesurf
                                                                                                                  SAP/subtitle
                                                                                                                  Custom10favourite
                                                                                                                  Custom11inputnext
                                                                                                                  Custom120
                                                                                                                  Custom131
                                                                                                                  Custom142
                                                                                                                  Custom153
                                                                                                                  Custom164
                                                                                                                  Custom175
                                                                                                                  Custom186
                                                                                                                  Custom197
                                                                                                                  Enterselect
                                                                                                                  Page+
                                                                                                                  Page-
                                                                                                                  Surround
                                                                                                                  Random
                                                                                                                  PIPhdtoggle
                                                                                                                  PIP_Format
                                                                                                                  PIP_Freeze
                                                                                                                  PIP_Swap
                                                                                                                  PIP_Movedtv
                                                                                                                  PIP_Sourceppv
                                                                                                                  PIP_CH+hdtv
                                                                                                                  PIP_CH-sdtv
                                                                                                                  PIP_Multiwho
                                                                                                                  Custom208
                                                                                                                  Custom219
                                                                                                                  Reda
                                                                                                                  Greenb
                                                                                                                  Yellowc
                                                                                                                      javab0y Newbie

Thank you for your diligence... I'll try this now and get back to you.  Thanks!!

javab0y Newbie

Ok... screen shot before... and after... no "Enter" key or "Select" key in the Misc.

Before (Screenshot_1). 

After (Screenshot_2).

eferz Expert

I think the triple dot on the bottom right-hand corner means there's more buttons.

javab0y Newbie

Yeah, I checked those for both and they both are just Custom buttons.  Would you like the screen shot for that for your files?

eferz Expert

Yes, please.

And have you tried the new buttons?  You may have to look at the physical RCA box at the same time since that button menu takes up most of the screen.

javab0y Newbie

Here is the screen shots.  I will try them...

eferz Expert

Oh yeah, also... did the option to have the Slingbox press enter at the end of the channel input come available in the Setup Assistant this go around?

javab0y Newbie

Yes... the option came back.  but it didnt do a thing for me having it enabled :-(

I checked many of the other buttons and they didn't have much of an effect.  Can you map one of the custom buttons to "Select"?

eferz Expert

Okay, this is what I'm thinking of doing...

Custom10 = 0

Custom11 = 1

Custom12 = 2

Custom13 = 3

Custom14 = 4

Custom15 = 5

Custom16 = 6

Custom17 = 7

Custom18 = 8

Custom19 = 9

+100 = Enter

But before I do that...

I would like to try out a different interface.  I'm going to take this same configuration, and recompile it with code "S1377".  This code will associate itself with a less generic looking remote skin.  So, you'll see a different remote skin on the Slingplayer Desktop and the Web Slingplayer.  Now, I'm not actually making any changes of the pairings, just recompiling it under another code.

I want to check out if it makes the keypad section work, since that would be the most intuitive.  I also wanted to check if the different setup code alters the naming convention and visibilty of the buttons in the MISC section.

The only difference in using this skin, you'll need to change a few options in the instructions that Alan gave you.

Device Type: Satellite

Manufacturer: DirecTV

Model: Other

Custom Code: S1377

Fair?  Also, if you see changes... I love more screenshots, it makes it much easier plan and devise the next course of action.  Plus, it will help me explain things to other people in regards to the Andriod cilent.  And since you have such beautiful screenshots. Could I ask you for the screenshots of the DVR screen, D-Pad Screen (both with buttons flipped), and the Keypad Screen too?

javab0y Newbie

Ok... the remote looks more like mine ;-)  It works nice on the Mac.

eferz said:

Also, if you see changes... I love more screenshots, it makes it much easier plan and devise the next course of action.  Plus, it will help me explain things to other people in regards to the Andriod cilent.  And since you have such beautiful screenshots. Could I ask you for the screenshots of the DVR screen, D-Pad Screen (both with buttons flipped), and the Keypad Screen too?

/me blushes

No worries... see attached... let me know if it helps.

The keypad on Android still does not work too well.

javab0y Newbie

Whoops forgot one screenshot...

eferz Expert

Thanks for all those screenshots, I really appreciate them!

It looks like the setup code changed a few things around on us.   If you'd like to use this remote instead then we'll need to hunt and  peck to find where it decided to put everything.

Looks like from our last remote, we gained "List", "Setup", "Format", "TV Power on", "TV Power Off", "TV Input", "Custom 29"  but lost custom 10 through custom 19. 

You'll need to describe to me what the actual function is on these buttons.  that way I can replace them with the numbers 0 through 9 along on custom 20 though 29.  I'm probably going to have to disassociate Custom 01, 05, 06, 07, 08, and 09 to  make room for Custom 20 through 29 to appear on the same screen.  At least one thing is for certain, I can pair 100+ to Enter.

Custom 01 =

Custom 05 =

Custom 06 =

Custom 07 =

Custom 08 =

Custom 09 =

Custom 20 =

Custom 21 =

Custom 22 =

Custom 23 =

Custom 24 =

Custom 25 =

Custom 26 =

Custom 27 =

Custom 28 =

Custom 29 (second screen) =

List =

Setup =

Format =

TV Power On =

TV Power Off =

TV Input =

Custom 29 (first screen) =

Expert

Hey folks -

Interesting issue here - we'll look into this. I'm curious to find out if this is indeed "fixable" within the SPM clients or if there is another solution. Will advise!

Thanks much for your efforts,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

javab0y Newbie

alanrichey42 said:

Sorry we couldn't fix the problem.   But I wouldn't hold your breath for Slingmedia to react.  I (and lots of other people) have been waiting months for the Symbian version to be made to work on Edition 5 phones.

That was my fear.

Dana said:

nteresting issue here - we'll look into this. I'm curious to find out if this is indeed "fixable" within the SPM clients or if there is another solution. Will advise!

Awesome! I really hope you guys prove alanrichie42 wrong about rapid fixes ;-)  Would love to use my SlingPlayer Mobile!

Expert

Hey javab0y & all - I checked with the SPM Product Manager to see if we had any further insight into this. He confirmed what you seem to have already found out: The SPM enter key on the keypad screen doesn't send any remotes by itself, it just sends all the numbers that have been entered once the user presses it.

So... I'm not sure where this leaves you with regard to getting your remote functioning the way you'd like it to. Is there anything else I can provide to help you map this out correctly?

Thanks!

Expert

Anything further on the above? Hard to tell if this is a bug or something else...

eferz Expert

If I can explain, it appears the issue is that the "Enter" key isn't being processed after the numbers are sent from the keypad interface.  Regardless if it is set from the Setup Assistant as shown below.

So, I would assume that "Enter" is misrepresented or missing in the respective keymap.  Therefore, the IR code for "Enter" isn't being sent after the numbers are sent through the keypad.

video_sourcesa.jpg

Also, I should point out that this Setup Assistant page is only available if you have a valid zip code for the EPG.  Since the Andriod devices are available world wide and its keypad interface depends on that setting, it is a bad idea to limit this setup portion to just USA and Canada.